Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Brake controller settings?

I don't remember that this has been discussed on this forum so here goes.

When setting the brake controller for the trailer should the trailer brake or the TV brake come on first and to what extent?

When going slow should the manual slide controller be able to stop the truck and trailer with out using the TV brakes?

How do you set your brake controller?

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dick,

On dry pavement, bring the truck up to about 10mph. Without touching the truck brakes, use the manual slide control (full brake) to activate the trailer brakes. The trailer brakes should stop the rig, but not skid.

Once on the road, you can adjust for driving in town or down a pass to get better braking.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Brad, I have a similar question. If I am going downhill and need to brake to gradually slow down, not stop, do I use the slide on my trailer brake or use TV brakes. That is if my tow haul mode doesn't do the trick.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Phil,

I wouldn't use the slide for the trailer brakes, as those drum brakes get hot in a hurry and they will glaze. That slide control is pretty much reserved for emergency braking. It will quickly snap the trailer back into a straight line if it's misbehaving back there.

Typically before I head down a long grade on a mountain pass, I'll bump the controller up a notch or two (on mine it's a 1-10 scale) so the trailer brakes apply a little harder. If the hill is steep enough to run the TV tachometer up higher than I like, I'll apply the TV brakes to bring it back down (usually a little under so it can run up a little before I need to brake again). What you don't want to do is ride the brakes, or it will really heat them up.

Once on flat grade, I bump the controller back down to the original setting, otherwise in town it will start locking up the trailer brakes causing a skid.

Hope that helps Phil- everyone has there own method they get used to after some trial and error.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks for the advice, Never done this before and was not sure how the trailer brakes worked. I guess when I get my rig out of storage it is off to the high school parking lot for a little, no make that, a lot of practice...Also, maybe I should resort to reading the instruction book that came with it, duh!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I wish I could tell you more about that Voyager controller, but I just don't know the details of how they work. Ours is built in (Ford) and actually uses brake line pressure to apply voltage to the trailer brakes.

Plenty of folks out there that use the Voyager and I'm sure somebody can jump in and explain it. Probably good stuff to know.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I thought the brake controllers built into the Fords were inertial (i.e. built by or along the same lines as the Prodigy's); BrakeSmart is the only one that I've heard of that actually uses brake line pressure? Am I correct???
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I usually travel with my controller adjusted so that the trailer brakes just begin to engage before the truck brakes--split second before. You can feel it. This seems to work best for me. Everyone has a different load, different truck and different approaches to what is best.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Skypilot - no inertia on the tow command Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (TBC) feature. The voltage to the trailer brakes change with brake pressure even when stopped.

It uses master cylinder pressure and vehicle speed sensor to operate. Also is integrated with the anti-lock brakes.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Brad: Thanks - Fancy adaptation -- no wonder people talk so highly about it. Wondered how it was special and didn't know it was tied into brake pressure.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:58 AM   #11
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
My two cents worth. I was taught, and found it to be true that the trailer brakes should activate just prior to the TV's. That will help prevent "the tail wagging the dog" effect. We have been towing for over 5 years now and the only time I have used the slide switch was (and is) to test the numerical setting on my controler before pulling out. Question to bsmeaton - If the tow command is integrated with the ABS, does it transfer that brake action to the trailer brakes? A new SD is in our future and I bet the salesman won't know!
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:34 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ggranch
Question to bsmeaton - If the tow command is integrated with the ABS, does it transfer that brake action to the trailer brakes?
ggranch,

I honestly don't know either. The manual just says it's integrated with the ABS. I'd be curious what that interface actually does.

Brad
Old 02-19-2007, 05:40 AM   #13
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I would read the instructions that came with the unit. I had 2 different systems and each set up differently.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:45 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Back in thje "old days" the really old days,when you braked the trailer manually, (Refering to 18 wheelers,) it was trailer brake ..truck brake.Technology has come a long way and the memory of the "old ways" die hard. my dealer attempted to explain to me how the Ford integrated brake controller worked and when he saw the blank look on my face ..he reduced the explaination to my level..He said...it fools the trailer into thinking it has ABS brakes... That I understand...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:55 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've always heard the best way is for both truck and trailer brakes to activate at the same time. But some prefer to have the trailer activate slightly before the truck.

In the old days, all brake controllers worked on brakeline pressure. But ABS killed that idea and most went to an inertia system. Ford, in 2005 models, created the integrated controller that uses the truck's computer input to deliver extremely smooth and effective braking. GM in the new HD's will have that option, as well.

There is no need to use the slider other than in adjusting the controller (aftermarket controllers) and in an emergency. There is no need to use it otherwise. I have only used it for setting the controller and a couple of times to test the trailer brakes.

In the Fords with builtin controller, I have read in one place that ABS is applied to the trailer brakes and in another place that it cannot pulse the trailer brakes because they are electrically actuated. However, it is able to use brakeline pressure info through the truck's computer to apply appropriate braking action in the trailer while ABS is activated in the truck. I've only read this, I have no intimate knowledge of it other than it works very well.

ggranch, you are going to love that brake controller. Extremely smooth. Set it once and never need to touch the settings again. No banging against the hitch (if set correctly). You can activate the slider to see what the setting is, as you did with the older controllers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #16
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Set it once and never need to touch the settings again. No banging against the hitch (if set correctly). You can activate the slider to see what the setting is, as you did with the older controllers.
Ditto
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
I have a Prodigy brake controller that was on my Dodge 2500 and a Nomad 7,100lb TT. With the boost setting to "b1" it was easy to adjust for dry vs. wet roads. Migrated Prodigy over to my new Dodge 2500 with my Mountaineer 344 (11,500lbs), set the boost setting to "b2" and the rig stops as if there was nothing behind me. The Prodigy is well worth the money for control, adjustability, and comfort to control "the beast" behind you. John C.
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote