Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hah!

Locals, Snowbirds, Winter Texans, man what a mess.......
I remember in Lake Havasu City when the 'locals' would drive right on my bumper when I was doing the speed limit in town, impatient to get around me, I was looking around to See what was what, but doing the 35-45 whatever the speed limit was. I could see that the attitude was not good for trucks with the 5th wheel receivers, or just plain out of state plates. Rude was the norm.
I bought Sue a new bike at a local bike store in Havasu City, I mentioned to the owner that the locals had little patience for us visitors on the roads. He then launched into a tirade about a truck 'from out of town' had turned in front of him, running him off the road because the didn't pay attention. I didn't ask how much courtesy he had given the driver, you can't deal with bad attitude, it's prejudice in another form.
Here in Rockport the locals have the same attitude, just not as bad, not half as bad. But there.
I stopped at a local beach-side bar frequented by 'regulars'. I rode my bike around for a few miles and stopped to get the scoop on the best places around. The bartender was super and nice, but she started in on the Snowbirds, she said that 20 or so came in for drinks and snacks and left her a Goose Egg for a tip. Now, I am a born skeptic and will not easily be convinced that 20 different personalities were mesmerized into some 'Mob mentality' as to stiff her for her services. She then broke into a frantic explanation of how the 'Out of Towners' would eat there and steal all of the Splenda from the tables, so they had to start putting large containers on the tables to curb the theft.
Now she is telling me all this with the large Santa Fe printed on my T-shirt, clearly a dreaded 'Out of Towner'.
People, who can figure them out.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I would have mentioned to her that is where they make a lot of their money. From the snow birds and out of towners. Very sweetly and with a big smile.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ozz, Wasn't there a song that went "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose". I had a psych teacher once that prefaced everything with "In dealing with people, there are NO absolutes". Pretty much sums it up.

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote