Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Polls
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2020, 09:42 PM   #41
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
When we bought our 2017 Bounder Class A the Dealer the night before we picked up parked the RV opened the slides it was on a slight hill and did not have the jacks down. Due to be un-level the gears on one slide skipped a tooth causing the top of the slide to close all the way and the bottom since it was a tooth off left a gap at the bottom. The entire slide had to be removed and re-aligned.

NEVER open slides without Jacks down and level it is not about the frame or structure as it is more about damaging the gear alignment. It is not an easy fix...

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here is what we have always done and I am not sure why. When we pull into a lot the slides are in and we leave them in as it is easier to set up with them in. The last thing we do when we leave is to pull the slides in as again it is easier to tear down with the slides in. IMO I do not think it makes any difference but this is what we do.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #43
MONTANA_3790
Established Member

M.O.C. #27064
Thumbs up Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Always have slides in when hooking up or when not level. Stress on motors, connection points for slides and their frames, as well as stresses on the frame of the trailer around the slide openings could cause major problems. No need to temp fate. I have enough problems as it is.
This is a perfect answer. I've notice with a prior RV that the slides did seem to have a harder time when no level.
MONTANA_3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #44
RichardD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22381
I always have the slides retracted until after I am completely unhitched, leveled and have all utilities connected. And I do the complete opposite when departing.

Some of you mentioned Stress on the Monty, as your main reason for doing the same.
I do it to reduce the Stress on ME. When my slides are retracted I don't have to remember to duck when I am using the Level-Up controls. I don't have to remember to stay low when connecting the city water, cable/satellite and sewer connection. I don't have to crawl under the slides to put the stabilizer pads in place. I can place my shore power cord right along side the tires so that I don't trip over the cord later.
We all have our own way of doing things and for our own reasons, I just prefer "the less stress on me way."
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #45
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Lot's of comments about stress on the frame. Where do you get stress on the frame? The slides are not structural components of the frame. The trailer frame does not care if the slides are in, out, or missing.
Now driving with the slides out or maneuvering in a space with them out could be a hazard but probably only to damaging the slide hitting something or someone or blocking the view rearward. Could also cause the slide to be offset in orientation.
If you have any frame flex. And believe me your "I" beams which make up the frame can move in vertical and horizontal direction.
Have you ever seen a flat bed tractor trailer. Generally aluminum which is arched upwards rolling down the road unloaded. This is a design feature to absorb the loaded vs unloaded condition.

So If you retract the slides after hookup. Your frame may be in a different settling point than when you unhitched. (How is that for technical terms)
I need to pull my galley tank handle when I park which is under the LR slide. So Slides are long after landing jacks and leveling. Level, Chocks, unhitch, Stairs, Awning, Picnick table. Sewer, Water, Then slides. Yes DW gets impatient at times. And there have been a few occasions where I have to crawl under to open the galley tank.
I have opened a slide hitched as well as unhitched only stationary though for a short lunch break on the road.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #46
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Exclamation

Lots of opinions, here's some facts...

On a prior 5th wheel a few years ago, I ran the main kitchen slide out when hooked to the truck. It was not level, but it was also not really unlevel.

Long story short, burned out one of the Schwintek motors and we were in the middle of a week long trip through the Canadian Rockies, several hours away from any service center. Ask me now how I know how to disable slide motors so that you can manually move them in and out
And, ask me how much fun it is to have to move them in and out manually so that I could keep my promise to my DW that we would celebrate our anniversary by following our honeymoon route for the entire week...
And, if you like, ask me how much that experiment cost... the tech reminded me that they told me not to do that, and that the manual clearly indicates that you should level first.

BTW, it was not the first time I had opened slides without leveling first, but it was the last.

Obviously now I am firmly in the camp of disconnect, finish the auto level, then open the slides; always.

Of course, if you want to conduct your own experiments I would recommend you keep a log book. It might provide interesting data points to try to compare notes and see how many times you can conduct the experiment before an expensive repair. I think I didn't make it more than about 6 or 8... maybe you might set a record and make it to 9 or 10!

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:58 AM   #47
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Lots of opinions, here's some facts...

On a prior 5th wheel a few years ago, I ran the main kitchen slide out when hooked to the truck. It was not level, but it was also not really unlevel.

Long story short, burned out one of the Schwintek motors and we were in the middle of a week long trip through the Canadian Rockies, several hours away from any service center. Ask me now how I know how to disable slide motors so that you can manually move them in and out
And, ask me how much fun it is to have to move them in and out manually so that I could keep my promise to my DW that we would celebrate our anniversary by following our honeymoon route for the entire week...
And, if you like, ask me how much that experiment cost... the tech reminded me that they told me not to do that, and that the manual clearly indicates that you should level first.

BTW, it was not the first time I had opened slides without leveling first, but it was the last.

Obviously now I am firmly in the camp of disconnect, finish the auto level, then open the slides; always.

Of course, if you want to conduct your own experiments I would recommend you keep a log book. It might provide interesting data points to try to compare notes and see how many times you can conduct the experiment before an expensive repair. I think I didn't make it more than about 6 or 8... maybe you might set a record and make it to 9 or 10!

Brad
At the Rally in tone of the sessions, they said to level or make changes to level with slides in. They called out the tight tolerances of Schwintek.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #48
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
IN Always. Slides go out after leveling.
Exception is when we stop overnight and do not unhook. I manually level then we put the slides Out. Close them before hitting auto retract.
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote