Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #21
eurekaearl

M.O.C. #8996
Watch out when they start talking monthly payments. Always have them figure out the real cost of monthly payments. At least number of months x payment will give estimate. This does not include interest.

eurekaearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:03 PM   #22
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
value of used Montana

NADA/RV is a good reference, but plays heavily on all options, some of which no one cares or every RV practically has anyway, so they're over valued. Then there's RV trader, which is a good starting point, but those are asking prices and do not necessarily reflect actual selling price. The MSRP's are highly inflated and often 30-35% or more over wholesale. Example: Our Montana MSRP was roughly 92K, we bought it wholesale for 54K. Your 2018 depreciated substantially the first year. With all that in mind, start checking around and get your best deal on the specific model of your choice. You'll soon get some numbers of what your Montana is worth. One other point, if the dealership has the model in stock, they'll be more likely to make a deal rather than ordering. Remember, in 2-3 months, the next set of new Montana's will be ready for the public RV shows and no one wants out dated new inventory.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:50 AM   #23
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
One problem with a private sale of a unit only two or three years old is if the buyer is financing a bank or credit union will loan for maybe 7 to 10 years, but a dealer will sell you a new unit and finance it for 20 years. People get sucked into this all the time. So now the buyer is looking at $400 a month for new or $750 a month used so they'll buy new. A lot of people only look at the monthly payment and if it fits in their budget ( if they have a budget at all). In ten years, that buyer of the new unit will find himself underwater by thousands.

I only say this to point out what you're up against. If you're trading, I think NADA is pretty good but all I find is retail so you have to allow for less.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:37 AM   #24
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
Financing is a whole new issue and agree, you need to factor that in. We're retired, so the last thing I want to do is get saddled with debt. Also, in a private sale, you need to calculate the value of sales tax, because if you trade, you only pay tax on the difference of cost between your trade-in and new (different) model.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:39 AM   #25
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
We are trying to find an mostly-accurate method of determining the trade in value of our 3811ms. We are considering trading it for a newer model.
I can't find any websites like NADA or Kelley Blue Book that will give a good estimate of a trade in value. Most of the websites simply redirect me to an RV dealer who wants to make a sale.

Any ideas? Help?

Please and thanks.
I know it's conveinent and no hassel to trade it in at the dealer but you are going to get hammered on depreciation. I'm sure there are still brand new 2018 3811MS's sitting on dealer lot's that they need to get rid of. Be prepared because they are going to offer you well below what it's worth.
They have to make it worth it for someone to buy a used 2018 when they probably can still buy a brand new 2018 or 19 for a little bit more.
Just curious...I know you said you want a newer model. 2018 is still a new model. Do you not like the model or floor plan anymore?
Old 06-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #26
mellabella
Established Member

M.O.C. #16037
Thumbs up RV value

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandsusan View Post
Sounds like some RVers are treating their rig as an investment. Not a good idea! We still have our 2006 that has had lots of upgrades paid for and enjoyed by me and my wife. What ever I get when it finally goes will be OK with me. I cannot compare the cost of the enjoyment that we have experienced in 13 years--the value exceeds what ever the cost was!
My sentiments exactly
mellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #27
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellabella View Post
My sentiments exactly
Yep...I know people who buy a new vehicle based on resale value. They are already thinking about selling it before they even buy it?
When I buy a new vehicle I buy it because it's what I want and for the enjoyment of it. I buy them with the intent of keeping and taking care of it for a long time. Resale value never even crosses my mind.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #28
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Does NADA show the Legacy option?
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #29
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
We are trying to find an mostly-accurate method of determining the trade in value of our 3811ms. We are considering trading it for a newer model.
I can't find any websites like NADA or Kelley Blue Book that will give a good estimate of a trade in value. Most of the websites simply redirect me to an RV dealer who wants to make a sale.

Any ideas? Help?

Please and thanks.

*** Do what we did when we bought the Montana 3121RL ours being a 2018.

I called dealers and tried to negotiate a good price for the new one and old one, then once you get thru 2-3 you will have a range of what the Dealers will be willing to give you and sell the new one for. I did this for 4 months, then went to the last dealer and when they asked the dumb question What I want for my Unit, I said I want what I paid for it, and I want the new unit for X which was $1500 less then my best deal.

They wound up giving us $2000 over what others wanted for our trade which was a clean used 5th wheel minus all the upgrades I installed then removed. We also got the 2018 3121RL for $1500 less then the best price I negotiated with the last 4 months, and it had all the upgrades we wanted including factory slide toppers.

So the way I looked at it, was I negotiated for 4 months with 7-8 dealers, then got CW in Columbia SC to sell us and take our trade for more then all the others offered. Dealers will usually offer you $3000-4000 less for your trade then NADA Low Retails from what I was able to compose. I took all the upgrades out of our previous 5th wheel and traded it with all the basic stuff it originally came with. I sold the upgrades or used them in the Montana, like our Progressive Industries 50amp surge protector, the inline one which I installed and un-installed all on my own.

Never ever get attached, and anytime a dealer asked me do we have a deal, I would sound skeptical of their best price, until I hit the last dealer and then when they were going to offer me the same deal, they asked what are you looking for so I added $2000 to my trade (it was the fair market value at that time) and their unit had slide toppers and they came down $1500 more off the new unit. It was the best price I could get and trust me I tried a bunch of dealers, but CW in SC was able to deliver the best deal so we drove down there traded, and camped in SC 2 nights to check everything out, we also put all the stuff from our old 5th wheel in my truck and in rubbermaid containers, so the swap of our stuff at the dealer was quick, and then I did not have to worry if we were forgetting anything.

Best of Luck to you, we deferred from getting full body paint, not worth extra $7-9K, and we opted for no In Command which goes for $4-6K as we heard some bad stories and I do not regret either decision.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:28 PM   #30
rdrnnrmike

M.O.C. #23476
Try this FB group. You can an accurate appraisal for a small fee based on recent nationwide sales and auctions. It is a closed group that blocks dealers. RV Pricing and Values.
rdrnnrmike is offline   Reply With Quote