Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #41
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Cable v chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
On my last trailer, as well is this new Monty, there are holes in the pinbox that work great for attaching the chains. I'm actually using heavy duty recoil cables that do the same thing but pull back out of the way when detached.

The likelyhood of having the hitch come loose and actually needing the chains is extremely remote given the very positive locking of the Andersen pin under the ball when connected. I still connect my chains but it's not a big deal to do so.
So do the heavy duty recoil cables have the needed weight rating? I just bought our first 5th wheel and am new at this. Would you happen to have a picture of how you hook the cable to the trailer? This sounds like a much cleaner look than chains.

Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #42
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I have the chains, the ones sold by Anderson, looks good you can’t see them unless you look into the truck. Only a few states require them and lucky for me komiefornia is one of them
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:42 AM   #43
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I spent about $79 for the chains, just so I'm not wondering state to state if I'm going to get bothered or not.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #44
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Here is an interesting photo showing why I think that the eye bolts that Andersen sells are inadequate. Notice that one of the eye bolts has completely straightened out and is no longer containing the chain. It also shows a monumental failure of the aluminum ball that they use. Again notice that the ball appears to have a clean shear instead of a stretched and bent appearance. The owner stated that this happened under a hard braking application. Either he used a brick wall for braking or clearly a defect in the bar stock used for the ball. It appears that as the trailer moved toward the cab the safety chain crossed the leg of the frame and bent and distorted it. Saw this photo on another forum, would be interesting to hear Andersens comments on it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	43
Size:	908.5 KB
ID:	3867  
Old 05-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #45
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Well I would think the brake away cable would be enough incase the ball breaks or whatever happens at least the trailer brakes will lock up and should stop the trailer. With the chains the trailer would be coming back after you and the truck, I think I like the idea of the trailer being away from me.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:49 AM   #46
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Theunz, I'm with you - I would be interested in Anderen's assessment as well.

These kinds of pics are out there but are very rare and I'm betting there is always "more to the story".

- The size of the pin box would indicate a larger 5er - I wonder what size/weight?
- Were the brakes on the trailer set adequately to allow for better/equalized stopping or did the truck actually hit something?
- Was the hitch properly torqued to the bed...looks like it moved quite a bit.

Granted, the ball shouldn't shear, but who knows what undue stress was put on the ball that may have torqued it beyond reasonable expectations. These pics show a failure of the hitch but it's possible that the hitch is a victim of something more severe that would have tested a lot of hitches, or attachment to truck bed. User error?
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #47
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Darrylwt, I too don't like the idea of the trailer slamming back and forth against me, however since my trailer brakes will not lock up at any speed the thought of the trailer completely disconnecting from the truck and hitting an oncoming vehicle is enough to compell me to use adequate safety chains.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #48
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I was towing a large loaded U haul trailer that I let someone else load and didn't check (my fault lesson learned). The trailer was so light it bounced off the ball at 50 mph on the freeway. Through the adrenaline, I was able to control it and keep it from repeatably smashing into the back of the truck with the gas, but only because the chains held, so very important. I will never pull a 5th wheel without them, required or not. I got really pissed when I picked the tongue up off the ground and put it back on the ball by hand.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:57 PM   #49
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebds2019 View Post
Hi all. So I figured some followup was in order. This past Monday I traded in my 6 month old Ram 1500 for a brand new 2019 Chevy Silverado 3500 diesel dually. Payload rating just under 5000lbs. What a beast.

Now I'm worried about something else. I ordered A curt puck kit and the Andersen gooseneck hitch. But I've been reading about people having issues with 5th wheels and clearing the truck bed rails with decent clearance. I don't have the RV yet, only the truck.

Since the Andersen gooseneck hitch is not height adjustable, is it possible I will have a problem? My 5th wheel is a 2018 3810MS.

Congrats!
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #50
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Spohn View Post
So do the heavy duty recoil cables have the needed weight rating? I just bought our first 5th wheel and am new at this. Would you happen to have a picture of how you hook the cable to the trailer? This sounds like a much cleaner look than chains.
It's hard to find cables with full weight rating. The ones I'm using now are from a previous 5er and are light for this rig. However, since they aren't required I use them as a backup. I also have the Andersen chains and may eventually use those instead.

My pin box has the holes pictured for making the attachement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CableAttach.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	3868  
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote