Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Larry L
Established Member

M.O.C. #20313
Just a thanks

Hi all. Been a member but haven't had much time to use rv. Recently have had a few minor issues and questionswith our 305RL. I am very happy to read all the information given here. It makes the questions and problems all seem manageable without having to deal with the dealers. Thanks and happy travels

Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Larry, This is exactly what the Forum was intended for. As I always tell folks " You will get answers from the Experts here. Those that actually have had the problems and how they solved them. Actual owners and not a tech though many problems have to be solved by a tech. If we can fix it why deal with a dealer!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
Larry L
Established Member

M.O.C. #20313
I agree

Thank you for your response. My first project when I get a few minutes is going to be adjusting the cable slides on both sides of the trailer as Inotice the cables are loose and I'm sure that's a problem waiting to happen so I will probably be back for more assistance later on and it is a great comfort to know there is a source without having to go listen to somebody that really doesn't care and is more interested in the money than anything else. Have a wonderful day
Old 06-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Welcome to the forum.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
miton 5052
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21569
Hi Larry! Be careful not to get them to tight this causes strain on the gear box and ultimate failure. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
miton 5052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’ve never found a factory adjusted slide that was adjusted according to the manufacturers recommended adjustment. The cables should have a little slack in them when they aren’t pulling the slide. When you move the slide all the way out the outside cables should have slack in them. When the slide is all the way in the inside cables should have some slack in them. Most are as tight as banjo strings. This puts a lot of stress in all the components, the gear box, cables, rollers, and wall. This may account for a lot of the problems we are now seeing with this system. If done right this should be a very reliable system. If it’s done right.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
Larry L
Established Member

M.O.C. #20313
Its to bad that one spends the high dollars for these units and still has to be a mechanic to. Thanks for the information, i'll be careful with the adjustments