Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2021, 09:17 PM   #21
J10er
Established Member

M.O.C. #24824
A little different install, I used a Garmin camera that sends via Bluetooth to the Garmin RV 765 GPS. Used a motorcycle style clamp fixture attached to near the top, inside of the rear trailer ladder. Ran the cable inside a split loom down the ladder and along the outside of the trailer frame, on top of the lower I-frame, behind the steps well, and finally up into the door side (passenger side) propane tank compartment. There I intercepted the 12vDC positive wire to the side marker light for powering up the camera (need to have trailer marker lights on to use). Grounded to the chassis. Mounted the Bluetooth sender to the frame there also, to communicate with the Garmin GPS. Tapping the screen will jog between road information and rear of trailer views. My next new truck tow vehicle will incorporate trailer camera views, etc., but waiting for 2023 models to be available, also will have paid off my wife’s Christmas-Bday-Mother’s Day-whatever day Lexus gift ��
This is a different install than what you’re planning, but wanted to give you options.

J10er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:01 AM   #22
Blackduck

M.O.C. #20043
I have a 2017 310 RE Montana HC (34'11" long) and pull with a 2017 F-350 with the 7 camera system. It's been a while but this is basically it. I mounted my Ford camera where the cutout is for a camera on the Montana just below the center rear red light using screws and clear GE silicone II. Then using 3 inch wide black Gorilla tape (use tan to match, if possible) I taped the camera cable straight up to the top of the RV and then taped the cable to the left (road side) and down the rear edge of the camper. The black tape blends in well along this edge. Underneath, I zip tied the cable along the frame and then the gas line and entered the front LP gas compartment and went into my battery compartment. Then I routed the cable from the battery compartment out under the tan skin (so it was hidden) to the tongue of the 5th wheel hitch. Actually, FIRST, starting at the hitch and finding a space above the outside tan skin, I routed the cable into the battery compartment leaving enough cable at the hitch end to reach over my lowered tailgate and still be hooked up to the 7 pin connector under my bumper. The tape has held for 3 years now sitting outside and with thousands of miles of travel. There are no extra holes in the RV.
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #23
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
I mounted mine on the ladder, works great.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:57 AM   #24
Eddy
Established Member

M.O.C. #19781
I have a 2017 3710FL and pull with F350 SRW. I installed the Ford camera below the rear window and not above. The wide angle camera provides a good view with the lower mounting. I ran the cable in surface-mount conduit from the camera down to the bumper and then zip-tied the cable along the outside of the I-beam frame up to the front storage area. I tested the mounting location before installation by having DW hold the camera in various positions while connecting the harness to the truck.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #25
WhatExit?
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28356
Thanks to everyone who posted tips and tricks on installing a wired rear view camera.

I did mine this weekend. Here's a very brief overview...

Pulled the Furrion camera mount and used the hole for the camera cable. The rubber grommet fit that hole perfectly. Installed the Ford camera bracket under the cable coming through the hole.

Ran the cable into the cabinet (on the back wall above the rear window). I could not get past something blocking the wall to the low, right (driver's side) of the back window. So, I ran the cable from the storage cabinet, down the window side valance and into the wall in a hole above the electrical outlet. From there the cable runs to the underside of the 5th wheel (opened up the driver's side rear taillight to run the cable up and down) zip tied to the propane pipe and up into the propane cabinet where the connections are made.

If I didn't run into the block inside the wall I would have scored this install a perfect 10 but I spent hours trying to get past it and didn't want to risk pulling other wires (lots of wires in that back rear area next to the rear window).

Well worth the installation time as I have a wired rear view camera that displays on my F350's display anytime I want (I have the Nav-TV F50 package I installed).

WhatExit? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:29 AM   #26
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I have a 2017 3710FL and pull with F350 SRW. I installed the Ford camera below the rear window and not above. The wide angle camera provides a good view with the lower mounting. I ran the cable in surface-mount conduit from the camera down to the bumper and then zip-tied the cable along the outside of the I-beam frame up to the front storage area. I tested the mounting location before installation by having DW hold the camera in various positions while connecting the harness to the truck.
This is just how I did it. Actually I almost never use it, I installed it mainly for the TPMS. It's really a PIA as was mentioned above. I looked into the NAVTV but it was cheaper to buy a wireless cam that I mounted up high and it works just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camera.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	651.3 KB
ID:	9216  

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:32 PM   #27
w5352
Established Member

M.O.C. #21463
Send a message via AIM to w5352
What is the location of the rear cemer hard wire in the front of the camper 3791RD 2018
w5352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:29 AM   #28
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by w5352 View Post
What is the location of the rear cemer hard wire in the front of the camper 3791RD 2018
I ran the cable up the frame through the LP compartment into the battery compartment where I mounted the TPMS receiver. From there I ran the cable out through the battery vent .

I'll try and get a pix of the front today.

Old 08-09-2021, 01:47 PM   #29
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Here is how it looks up front. I just filed a notch in the battery vent cover and then sealed it with black calk. The cable in this picture is coiled up and stuck in the pin box, other wise it just hangs loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210809_153114.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	9902  

Tags
rear view camera