Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2021, 04:53 AM   #1
JimIrish7
Established Member

M.O.C. #26805
50 amp in Garage with Tesla- can I use on my 5th wheel?

Have only found 1 article on using my 50amp outlet for a Tesla in the garage for the 5th wheel. It states no go and DO NOT USE.
Any thoughts on this is appreciated?

If not, do I have an electrician rewire another outlet?

Or, do I go out and buy a generator so I can use the electricity while parked at the house? if so what generator? We do not foresee doing much boondocking. But going on a 6 week retirement trip this summer out to the national parks.

ALL NEW TO US AND WANT TO MAKE SURE I DO THE CORRECT THING-

Thank you
Jim

JimIrish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:27 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
It is most likely a 240vac outlet.
RV use 120vac on two separate legs.
Have an electrician put in a NEMA 14-50r receptacle. Make sure he has insurance AND that he knows the difference specifically for an RV receptacle versus a dryer 240vac receptacle.
If he does it wrong (has been known to happen) he will fry all your electronics.
Have him read the article below before he starts just to be sure.

RV electrical wiring.
RVs use 50 amp NEMA 14-50r outlet, BUT they use two 120v legs. NOT 240v.
Very good article explaining this.
https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...p-shore-power/
Also...
https://www.rvtravel.com/can-i-use-a...-amp-rv-power/
Other useful link.
http://www.myrv.us/electric/
Also...
https://www.keystonerv.com/upper-nav...rical-systems/

This explains it all http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/50amp_Service.htm

Depending on where you live, having a generator for a back up to power outages is not a bad idea. Also if you go boondocking, you will want a generator. Just make sure you buy an inverter generator. They are much quieter than an open frame generator. You, and your neighbors, will appreciate the noise difference.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:15 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
First, welcome to the world of RVing and retirement. Jim, as Daryle said, 120v vs 240v. If all you are going to do is run the fridge and lights, just adapt it down to a regular household plug. We did that for many, many years. That won’t work if you are going to run AC, but heat, lights and fridge are fine on a 20 amp circuit. If you are visiting the National Parks, most do not have hookups. So, your choice is full hookups outside the park vs dry camping inside the parks. Depending on what part of the country you are in, you may not need AC. Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain and Glacier are all areas where you can get by for the most part without AC. Enjoy your Montana and retirement.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:54 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Here is the Tesla web site information for a 50 amp 240 vac outlet for charging a Tesla. It is no different than the same 50 amp outlet for an RV. I don't know why someone would think it not ok to use it. Would love to see their explanation for it. BUT. I guess I would not use it until I did see that explanation and agree with it.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/...tion-guide.pdf

Edit: I think I found the article you may be referring to. And it states that since Tesla only uses 240 vac for that type charging station and not 120 vac, for costs reasons they may use a 6-50 outlet which does not have a neutral. That would be a definite no-no for the RV. But if it does have the 14-50 noted in the link above with a neutral wire, then it should be fine. A quick check with a meter would confirm that. But your RV cable should not fit into the 6-50 outlet any way.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...la-connection/
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #5
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Thanks Bill! I've been scratching my head e'ery time I read one of these 50 Amp RV outlet threads. Even one of the acticles cited above says:

"This 50-amp service has 4 wires with two 120-volt HOT feeds. It is a misconception that this 50-amp RV service is something special. This service is a STANDARD 120/240 50-amp 3 pole with 4 prongs used for numerous applications."

From this common service we can draw 120 or 240 volts. Each leg is 50 amps @ 120 volts. 50-amp X 120-volt = 6000 watts. But since there are 2 HOT 120-volt legs at 6000 + 6000 = 12,000 watts to use in the RV or 50-amp X 240-volt = 12,000 watts when used as a 240-volt service. "
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Then there are the instanced where 30A 120V RV outlets have been wired 240V. They look just like dryer outlets and have often been wired that way by electricians.

http://noshockzone.org/accidentally-...0-volt-outlet/
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:16 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
You purchased an expensive vehicle with non-standard requirements to maintain it. You purchased an expensive RV that also has specific requirements to maintain it.

Do the right thing and get two different outlets installed, one for each application and that way there is no confusion, no mistakes, and nothing will blow up or burn down.

You paid a fortune for your vehicle and trailer, now is not the time to cheap-out and look for a short cut. You played the pipe, now you have to pay the price of the piper. Get a dedicated outlet for each and have it done right.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Jim,

How are you planning to use your rig at your home?

You can keep your batteries charged and cool your reefer down with a regular 20 amp plug.

If you are planning to use it as a spare room for guests or something similar with the need for a/c then consider having a dedicated RV compatible 50 amp 120 plug installed.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
BB-Tx is right. The Tesla document looks like it is wired the same as for an RV.
Just to be sure I would have an electrician double check everything.
If he concludes its good to go then...
But you will only be able to plug in the car OR plug in the RV...
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:33 PM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
If you have a GOOD EMS there shouldn't be a problem, because if anything is wrong it won't let the power into you unit.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #11
JimIrish7
Established Member

M.O.C. #26805
50 amp

Wow- great information!
I will have an electrician come over and confirm.
Given I only need it for lights and charge for batteries etc. as we prep to go on a trips I will convert it down to 120.

Jim
JimIrish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #12
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIrish7 View Post
Wow- great information!
I will have an electrician come over and confirm.
Given I only need it for lights and charge for batteries etc. as we prep to go on a trips I will convert it down to 120.

Jim
If that's all you're doing I'd go this route with a standard extension cord:

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Cords...777526&sr=8-22
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:08 AM   #13
Todd727
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19394
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
You purchased an expensive vehicle with non-standard requirements to maintain it. You purchased an expensive RV that also has specific requirements to maintain it.

Do the right thing and get two different outlets installed, one for each application and that way there is no confusion, no mistakes, and nothing will blow up or burn down.

You paid a fortune for your vehicle and trailer, now is not the time to cheap-out and look for a short cut. You played the pipe, now you have to pay the price of the piper. Get a dedicated outlet for each and have it done right.
This is the silliest thing I've read in a long time. A 14-50 four wire installation is the same thing, no matter what it was installed four. None of this is rocket science, but people are scared of electricity because they simply don't understand it.

To the poster that tried to say because the RV only uses 120 volts internally, that the 240 volt plug won't work, you also don't understand what is going on with that four wire 14-50 plug nor do you understand the difference between the internal circuit breaker box of the RV and your house.

OP, you can verify the installation with a cheap volt meter in about 10 seconds, no need to pay someone and you will learn just a bit more about how wiring works.