Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #21
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbextel View Post
on my 2010 GFCI main outlet went out and several outlet went dead including refer. there is a way to wire around the main GFCI outlet to see if that is the problem.
GFCIs are notorious for simply failing. Pull it out and put a meter on the positive and ground wires to see if you have 120v to the GFCI. If you have voltage, the GFCI is probably bad; simple to replace after you TURN OFF THE POWER.

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:00 PM   #22
Bnrc73
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21597
Are you close enough to the next lot to plug in there? Then you can eliminate the pedestal.
Worthington MN
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #23
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbextel View Post
on my 2010 GFCI main outlet went out and several outlet went dead including refer. there is a way to wire around the main GFCI outlet to see if that is the problem.
I would just replace it.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:51 PM   #24
Livin salty
Established Member

M.O.C. #22108
Hopefully you were able to get your electrical issue fixed by now. I had the exact same thing happened to me. Someone mentioned “one leg” of 120v. I learned that too. My problem was my built in progressive switch was hanging up and not completing the switch between shore power and generator power in. Is your unit generator prep or do you have a generator installed?
Mine was prepped and this is the reason for the switch box. The way I understand is that it allows current to run to your panel from the pedestal. If you lose shore power at the pedestal it will shut that pathway down and allow electrical current to go from your built in generator to the breaker panel and vise versa. My “progressive brand” switch is located behind the thin wall in the belly storage. Easy to find as all of the wires will go to it. For me, we used a rubber mallet and tapped the switch box which freed up the switch, immediately allowing shore power from pedestal to flow to the breaker panel powering my RV. By no means am I intelligent regarding electrical but wanted to share. We had our rv plugged into shore power when tapping on the face of the switch. You can actually hear the switch become active again. Kind of a click noise.
Best of luck
Dirk
Livin salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:24 AM   #25
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We lost half of the power in our unit and it turned out the cord into the plug on the camper was not making complete contact. i removed the plug and reinstalled it and it came back.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:04 AM   #26
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
You've gotten some great advice so far. I'd focus on that GFCI that won't reset. It's either bad or more likely there is no power coming to it. It won't reset w/o power. Turn all your breakers off and then back on. Sometimes a tripped breaker is hard to see. Then try to reset to GFCI.
This is a handy tool to keep in your camper. It will check outlets not only for power but if they are wired correctly. It also is a non contact tester that will tell you if you have power at a wire w/o having to expose the contacts.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are also available at Lowe's or Home Depot.
Good tool to have on hand though.
Good luck and keep us informed.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #27
JLM
Established Member

M.O.C. #24262
[sounds like one leg at the power po;e is out. Have it tested.

Living the 5W Life
2020 3701LK
2017 Ram 3500
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote