Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Single door 120volt reefer in older Montes?

I have pulled my stock refrigerator and think a smallish residential Whirlpool (I think is the brand) refrigerator/Freezer combo from Home Despot will fit with a little side trim. Looks like a lot of insulation will be needed as the absorption section of the stock reefer area was not insulated. It measures so that it will stick out a bit further as well.
Am I missing anything on this?
It seems the electrical will be fine, might have to move the receptacle a bit, but the amp draw of the new one is low, so not worried about that.
Should I seal up and insulate the top? I think that should be no problem, but the bottom seems to be in need of air circulation, so I will leave it open to the bottom outside air venting.
(I have a 07' 3400RL)
Thanks!
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
Dave and Linda Hatcher installed a residential refer, solar, and inverter on a older Monty. They seem happy with it.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Don't know about the specific model residential you're thinking about, but the cooling coils on them are either on the back or under the bottom. Either way, a residential doesn't like being in hot environments (ask me about my one time garage refer!) so only having outside air on those coils isn't a good idea. You MAY need to think about something like a laptop computer fan to circulate air underneath as the sides and top will be air flow restricted. You'll also have to be able to clean out the dust bunnies on occasion.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:52 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Walt, I haven't picked up the Whirlpool from Home Despot yet, when I do I will eyeball it and engineer the unit space accordingly. I am a commercial refrigeration serviceman, so I better be able to figure it out!!
I wanted to get some 'real world' feedback from folks that have been down this particular road.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:06 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When you get some experience with the whole ball of wax, please share it and the pictures. Amp draw, etc will be of interest to many or us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sue just ordered a nice Black reefer from Lowe's. Dick the average for 24 hrs is around 6 amps. I think at times you can catch it at a couple amps, but you have to figure in the starting surge in the average. I haven't laid my amp meter on it, just what I have heard for a couple of folks and research on other Forums. That sounds about right, you could hold the compressor in one hand with no problem. I think on resistance heat for the absorbsion unit that is stock, (120 volt operation)it probably is around 2-3 times that, but haven't checked