Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Let's talk about generators

I can't decide which way to lean here. I don't know if 2 smaller units that I can link together or one bigger unit would be smarter. I hate to carry the weight of a larger unit if I won't be needing my A/C. On the other hand, the larger units are less expensive than 2 smaller units of equal output.
Then there is the option of a built-in. I know NOTHING about getting a built in. I'm guessing it can be added reasonably easy? Is it a DIY type of add-on? Any downsides to a built-in? I had one guy that had a propane fueled Onan tell me a few years ago that he would never do that route again. I dunno why.

I currently have a Yamaha 2400IS inverter model that I love. This unit ran the A/C of my last Komfort trailer I had. The problem is, their current model of this gen. set won't link up together with my older model. I would have to buy 2 new models, or look for a used older one to go that route.
I can also get a pretty nice deal on a new Honda, as I work for a place that sells them. The EU 3000IS would be my choice.

I've also heard there are portable gen. sets that have remote control starting now. That would be really sweet, as the big advantage of a built-in, is not having to go outside in the cold to start the dang thing!
Any thoughts or input will be appreciated.

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
There are several ways to go here.Built in unit are much higher in cost,can be run on propane or gas.My trailer is prepped for built in,however I went with a pair of Honda 2000's.Ordered on line for 1995.00.I went that way because of weight,they weigh about 48 lbs each.That gets me 4000 watts(sort of).I have a Honda 2500 watt unit that will fun a single air conditioner but it is heavy.That why I did not go single.(as in 3000 watt)My Honda twins fit in the area that is made for built in with room to spare.Can run one or both as required and I can carry them without breaking my back.Lots to consider and lots of choices.Good luck!
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I believe all of the built in generators have remote start, however the Onan is a propane hog from all I have read and heard on the forums.

Many folks use the two Honda combination and are then able to run their AC but you are fueling 2 generators and you must have a spot to store them, lifting a 40# approx generator out of the generator compartment is not my idea of fun as you are bent over to lift anything out of that compartment to begin with.

I have the Honda EU3000i and love it, it will easily run the one AC that I have if needed, it is electric start (not remote) but will start also on the pull rope and will start every time on the first pull.

I initially had planned to put it in the generator compartment but one issue was adapting the exhaust to the outside world that would be safe and also not prevent any problems to the operation of the generator itself, besides I did not like the idea of having gas in that location.

Since I have a LB truck I designed a box to carry the generator and tools in a combined two compartment box, the generator can be run right in the box and I have never had an overheating problem, it is very quiet and I have a special cord to connect to the Monty through the generator compartment at a cut-off box.

I did not want to mess with two units and their harness's, but many seem to be happy with that arrangement. The EU300i does it all.

Here is a picture of my setup.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
We used two Yamaha 2400is generators that could be coupled for quite a while. While not as light as the smaller Hondas, they were much lighter than even a 3k generator. I thought about getting a diesel generator & putting it in the truck bed, but we use it to haul our show tent and equipment. Decided to get rid of the generators as I'm finally facing up to getting too old to be lifting and lugging that kind of weight, and am installing a solar system that can run anything but the AC. Just have to find somewhere with power for that, or use fans only.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The built in Onan's have the capability to add a remote start. They do have a start switch located in the rig. They are definitely propane hogs and typically burn about a gallon of propane an hour. The add on remote start from Onan ran us about $500. The 5K model generator from Onan weighs in at about 280 pounds so a one person installation is not feasible.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Several things to consider I my opinion. How often you use it? How you will transport it, and how will you run Gen in bad weather. I did not want two units. I bought the 3000 iseb with remote start and battery boost. It's now three years old and runs great. It's an inverter with clean power. My solution was to build a box to house and protect it. The real reason I bought Yamaha was low noise factor. With the box closed, even less noise. It runs entire Montana's power needs. Note only one 15,00 0Air unit will run, if using additional elect devices.
My unit stays safe in the box, and if I do need to move it, I bought a cart that is close to same height as truck bed. See link below. My suggestion, no matter which Gen you buy, get an hour meter installed. It's helpful to keep up on service. Good luck!

http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Ar...enerator%20Box

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It really is a matter of how you'll use it, where it's going to ride and how it gets to that spot. I use the two honda's because I have a composite V tailgate and I can lift them in and out of the truck

It really is a matter of figuring out how you're going to use them, haul them and service them. We use the two small Honda's because I can lift them over my composite V tailgate to use, and service and I have a system for protecting them when running in the rain. For others my system wouldn't work at all.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We went with two small Hondas. Mounted to the rear of our 5er. We can run one air conditioner and the rest of our lighting (all LED), computers, internet and TV's with satellite DVR. With 5 gallon external tank, we have had 13 hours of continuous AC.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
I went with the Honda 3000is (2) and paired them up. Works great. Runs both air, hair dryer or microwave. Run the frig. and water heater also. No remote but electric start.
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
According to Honda their 2000 watt generator makes more noise than their 3000 watt unit. When you combine two they get pretty loud.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We have the 2 Honda 2000 and only used them 2 times during the year. They fit in the passenger side of the front generator compartment and we just chain them to a tree when we need them

If the weather is cool where we don’t need AC we can run one at a time with the parallel unit hooked up and just start the second one when the first runs out of fuel.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had the Kipor 3000 for over 7 years. It sits in the truck bed , Right rear near the tailgate. It never leaves the truck. We pull the truck around to where we can get the power cord to it. We do not boondock so we hardly ever use it. It runs one A/C if need be and anything else as long as it does not exceed 30 amps total. we have only used it twice at Quartzsite and a few times here at the S&B when the local power went out during a storm. We run it for 30 mins every month at routine maint. We really do not need it for the Rv.It is just weight to carry around.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
FYI.Just visited Costco and they have(in California) the Honda 2000EU(?)on sale for $595....Thought that was a GREAT price....
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #14
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
When I had my diesel pusher, it had a 7000 plus watt Onan that ran on...diesel. Great unit, ran very dependable, and of course, very expensive new. We decided the need just wasn't there for the montana, but if i were to have one it would live in the bed of the pickup and be the 3000 honda. John
Old 06-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dandt

FYI.Just visited Costco and they have(in California) the Honda 2000EU(?)on sale for $595....Thought that was a GREAT price....
What Costco were you at????? $595 is an unbelievable price for a Honda EU2000i generator. That is almost half the best price you can find on the Internet. At that price, I will buy a truckload.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #16
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
X2. Will buy 3!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:49 AM   #17
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Like a lot of things, generators are personal preference. We used to own a Honda EU3000. It would pop the breaker when the air conditioning in our living quarter horse trailer came on. We traded that for two 2000's that worked just fine. Moving them in and out every time we set up was a pain, as was refilling in the middle of the night. The refilling part could have been eliminated with an auxiliary tank, but that was another thing had to be hauled around. Mounting the generators in the truck was not an option because we could not always keep the truck within a cords length of the trailer plug in. We opted for the built in generator in the Big Sky. No hassle of hauling it in or out and there is peace of mind knowing that when you need it, power is just a push of a button away.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:04 AM   #18
lunalonestar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11717
We bought a Boliy 3600 with electric start in 2012. Weighs 70 lbs. We full time and boondock about 65% of the time. The generator stays in the back of the long bed truck all the time. It works well for us because we have a front and back plug on the trailer. So a lot of places we don't have to drive the truck to the back of the rig. My only complaint is I have to go outside (in the rain and cold) to start and stop it. But we're still happy with it.
lunalonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:05 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We got the Kipor when they were first being introduced in the USA. Kipor had been around for a long time and were popular in Canada. It was part of the purchase of the 06 3400 and we got it at a extremely good price. We found later by talking to our local repair shop that the Kipor is 85% Honda. The Koreans ripped off the Japanese. We really never needed it but being old time campers the memories of poor power at campgrounds lingered.

If purchasing today it would be the two Honda 2000 as they are more practical.
we have used it more here at the S&B as backup during a power outage.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:10 AM   #20
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Honda EU3000iS is what we have. The only drawbacks to it is the weight and price of the unit. Otherwise, we love it. We've had ours for about 7 years and it has preformed flawlessly. It runs about 10-12 hours on a tank under very heavy load. Under light load I've seen it run about 30 hours on a tank of fuel. Resale value is very good. Although we rarely us it any more, we carry around our generator quite often. It's not uncommon to loose power from a storm when we are out camping. Having the genny with us has been quite handy and re-assuring. We have no problem powering one AC unit, converter, and the television with it. We do have to be mindfull of our power usage.

Twin 2000's have their adantages also. Portability and more power make that set-up a very nice alternative. I've thought about selling our 3000 and converting to twin 2000's mainly just due to the weight of the 3000iS.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote