Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
WD drain problem.....

It appears that the drain water for our W.D goes into the black tank.......Did anyone know that.????We did not. Our 06 3400 went directly to the outlet valve.. Going to the black tank is a bad thing.. Check yours out if in doubt.That is a big step backwards. Oh valve stem came loose from the rim on our way to Florida.TMPS caught the loss of pressure so we saved the tire but it cost us time and $$$$$.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Is WD a washer/dryer? If so, that sounds like a mistake by whomever installed it. I have heard of them being plumbed to a gray tank, or directly to the outlet but not to the black tank. You can leave a gray tank valve open or the main outlet valve open, but NOT the black tank and this can get messy if the black tank fills too fast with the washer's gray water going into it.

Are you going to fix it?

As for the valve stem coming loose, was that because the valve installer didn't tighten things down? I now have metal stems all around and the fear I have is that I run the risk of having them knocked off since they aren't made of rubber which can flex if something hits them.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
These are metal OEM valve stems.Guy who changer the tire out said they looked like they came out of a cracker jack box.Years ago they plumbed the W/D into the black tanks then realized it was not a good idea and stopped it.Something is seriously amiss at the Factory.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
It's hard to believe Montana plumbed that into the black tank again, you would think they knew better
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Maybe the Fellows who knew better have since Retired leaving the next Generation to learn all over again. Our 2010 Montana went directly to the outlet, but our SOB does go into the Gray Tank, wish it went into the Galley so it wouldn't compete with Shower.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am not sure they know..I called Aram and left a message for him..There is something wrong at Keystone.All I know is soap suds come out of the black tank when Helen is doing the laundry.I just dumped because we had not dumped for a couple of days and Helen was doing the laundry at the time. I was shocked to see soap suds flow out of the black tank.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
My 06 3400rl had the w/d plumbed to the black tank. I called customer service to question this and the rep said they plumb it to what ever tank they want to and it was no set rule as to which one.
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hmmmm dang good thing you were dumping at the time she was doing laundry, that could of got real ugly, at the very least it would have been a whole bunch more laundry to do.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Ours drains into the small Grey water tank so we leave it open so the tank doesn't over flow (experienced once) and then close it the day before we leave to wash out the system.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 06 3400 did not dump into any tank but directly to the outlet.My point is that no where in the literature's does it say that and we were not told at any time where it was plumbed.It is stupid to plumb it into the black tank and to be honest if we had known that we would not have this unit.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
They drain it into the nearest tank. Sometimes, the tank would be in the way of the drain pipe if they tried to drain it elsewhere. Ours drains into the grey water tank.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Look at the bright side - at least they didn't plumb it to your fresh water tank!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It may not be a big deal to those who do not use thse things much and if you do not have a W/D it is not a issue at all. However we are in Florida for 6 months and we do some laundry every two or three days sometimes every day.The black valve is kept closed to prevent black tank problems. The black tank can fill fast with both W/D water and waste water going in. We have been though this issue before.It was a stupid move then it is a stupid move now.Why would the W/D go into any tank. It does not make any sense at all. Oh I know.If you wash when you are boon docking the water needs to go into a tank because you do not have a sewer....So you are in a conserve water mode boon docking and you are going to do ..the laundry...Good logic.....
Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Update after testing were the W/D is really plumbed to.I called customer service and after checking thay said the W/D was plumbed into the black tank which I did not think was very smart. Anyhow just today we did a load of wash and when it went into high spin I went out and looked at the dump valve and guess what..there was soapy water coming out so it is NOT plumbed into the black tank..it is plumbed direct to the outlet.So why does customer service not know where the W/D is plumbed or do the skilled craftsmen on the line plumb it to the first pipe they see??? There is still something strange about how the tanks are plumbed and we can not see any of the underbelly plumbing. Looks like we will be spending several days at the service center...again..
Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #15
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

It appears that the drain water for our W.D goes into the black tank.......Did anyone know that.????We did not. Our 06 3400 went directly to the outlet valve.. Going to the black tank is a bad thing.. Check yours out if in doubt.That is a big step backwards. Oh valve stem came loose from the rim on our way to Florida.TMPS caught the loss of pressure so we saved the tire but it cost us time and $$$$$.
Rich, our 06 3400 drains to the black tank. We were not told about this, our cat let us know by trying to walk on water in the kitchen area...Not happy we had water running out of the drain and onto the floor our very first night in the new unit. Our dealer said impossible...."did you get a sock stuck in the washer drain" "how fast does your washer spin" Arggg....My hubby found the problem. We have lived with it, I just have to remember when I wash to pull the handle. We are fulltimers and it is a pain sometimes.There is a way to "re plumb " it. If I'm not mistaken someone on this forum did so.
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #16
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
This is my old post about this. look on page seven of this link
Fix
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:04 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Roamingusa

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Rich, our 06 3400 drains to the black tank. We were not told about this, our cat let us know by trying to walk on water in the kitchen area...Not happy we had water running out of the drain and onto the floor our very first night in the new unit. Our dealer said impossible...."did you get a sock stuck in the washer drain" "how fast does your washer spin" Arggg....My hubby found the problem. We have lived with it, I just have to remember when I wash to pull the handle. We are fulltimers and it is a pain sometimes.There is a way to "re plumb " it. If I'm not mistaken someone on this forum did so.
yet our 06 3400 drained directly to the outlet??? Our 06 was bulit in April 0f 2006.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well today Helen said the the bottom of the fridge was full of water...yep it was. The reservoir at the top that catches water and drains it out the side of the camper was also full to the top and overflowing.Looked outside in the fridge compartment and the hose was kinked been that way since installation I suspect.Great workmanship and quality control. Did I mention we had our TPMS warn us of a tire losing pressure on the way down to Florida. Turned out to be the valve stem working loose from the rim.Cost 33.00 for a tire change and two hours delay at a Loves truck stop and the tire guy said the stem was not installed properly. Will cost more for a new valve stem and installation here in Florida.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #19
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Lovely! Sorry to hear you're having all these problems. Keystone apparently can't make up their minds on what to do with the Washer Dryer water. Ours goes into the main grey water tank.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You know they are not BIG problems but I expected better on what was then the best you could buy, top of the line Montana product.