Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Sewer Solution / garden hose

Quick question,

I am visiting the kids and need to dump into a septic tank about 65' away, can I attach a 5/8" garden hose to the Sewer Solution hose and make it work? It's a slight down hill all the way to the septic tank.

Thanks for your help,
Dick

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The only thing to be careful for is the connection on each end of the garden hose. If it were me, I would cut off the end connections of the garden hose, use a 2" piece of the right OD tubing and a couple of hose clamps to attach the garden hose into the line. Then remember, that garden hose is now forever condemned.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
You will not have a problem with the grey water but the black will never go through a water hose unless you have a grinder pump and use lots of water.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The standard size hose for the sewer solution is 3/4" hose. I have 30' of it and have not had a stoppage in it for over 2 years. Water pressure generated by the jet breaks up solids and all flows down the hose.

If the material will pass through the nozzle of the Sewer Solution, then it will proceed on out the hose of the same size. If a stoppage occurs, it will occur at the point where the discharge pipe connects to the Sewer Solution, not in the hose line.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Be sure you have sufficient water pressure. We've been at RV parks where the water pressure was under 20 psi. I think you'll have difficulty if the water pressure is low.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Thanks all, I think I am going to hook up two 3" drain hoses then the Sewer Solution and finally us some larger diameter rigid PVC that they have here and just let it drain down hill through it into the septic tank. I don't think it will back up as I will make sure there is a long drop in the rigid pipe section.

Thanks again,
Dick
Old 08-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Dick,

I would really hesitate to attach the sewer solution any where other than the discharge waste water pipe on the Montana. I think you may have trouble if you move it down stream of some stinky-slinky.

If you really want to know about the viability of your idea, simply pick up the phone and call the designer. I have talked to him myself. He is very helpful and will answer your questions. He is easy to talk to.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Dick,

I would really hesitate to attach the sewer solution any where other than the discharge waste water pipe on the Montana. I think you may have trouble if you move it down stream of some stinky-slinky.

If you really want to know about the viability of your idea, simply pick up the phone and call the designer. I have talked to him myself. He is very helpful and will answer your questions. He is easy to talk to.
Thanks Stiles, I did talk to the Company and they could not come up with any reason not to do it except you can't back flush the stinky slinky to clean it out. He also said that you can use a 1" sch 40 pipe attached to the hose outlet elbow.

Thanks again,
Dick
Old 08-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ah, good. I didn't think about the pipe. If that will work, why wouldn't schedule 40 PCV?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dick,

I used 70' of 1" schedule-40 PVC and pushed it about 3 feet uphill using the sewer solution. PVC is real cheap, and does not have to be glued. I leave the PVC at my brother's house just for that single application. I use one 10' SS hose on each end to make it easier to hit the septic tank.

SS says you can use their product using 15 psi water pressure. Also, you might have a tough time matching the diameters of the two different hoses.

Let me know if this isn't clear...give me a call.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #11
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Dick,

I used 70' of 1" schedule-40 PVC and pushed it about 3 feet uphill using the sewer solution. PVC is real cheap, and does not have to be glued. I leave the PVC at my brother's house just for that single application. I use one 10' SS hose on each end to make it easier to hit the septic tank.

SS says you can use their product using 15 psi water pressure. Also, you might have a tough time matching the diameters of the two different hoses.
Let me know if this isn't clear...give me a call.
I am going to figure out how to cary some 1" sch 40 PVC under the rig for emergency.

Hey Robbie did I notice a dirt smudge on the hood of your truck in the new picture of your truck and rig with the moon in the background?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dick--I haven't tried to pump thru 70' of 1" PVC with my sewer solution (just one more way in which I can't compete with Robbie), but I've used the 28' of PVC pipe I carry with me on one occasion to reach a sewer outlet that was some distance away from the rig. I carry four sections of 7' long 1" PVC with me, which fits easily along one wall of the basement storage cabinet and is much cheaper than buying three extra 9' lengths of rubber hose from Sewer Solution.

Good luck with your dumping effort.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
My thoughts are that if the need is there, you can buy PVC pipe for about $2 for a 10' length. I leave the pipe at my brother's where it is needed. I can't compete with David on storage space.

Buying one extra 10' SS length (~$20) coils up easily in the sewer box and has only been handy once.

BTW Dick, yep, darned bugs left a smudge...now, I have to change the picture or the truck.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote