Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2007, 01:53 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Blue light, maybe??

I'm looking into a roof mounted dish for Internet connection, is such an animal high speed? Expensive initially? Expensive monthly?
Anyone have one? I think Snfexpress has something like that.
Thanks, Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
don't know.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:00 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, BillyRay, we will both find out 'stuff'.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:21 AM   #4
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I'm looking into a roof mounted dish for Internet connection, is such an animal high speed? Expensive initially? Expensive monthly?
Anyone have one? I think Snfexpress has something like that.
Thanks, Ozz
Ozz,

You can check out one here: http://tinyurl.com/yrs2vn
or here: http://dustyfoot.com/products.htm

I opted to try Verizon wireless broadband with a Kyocera KR1 router and it has worked out quite well so far. Not as good as the home cable connection, but high speed most of the time here in Phoenix. The real test will be when we hit the road to other parts of the country that may not have coverage as good as we find here.

Mike

Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:34 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz,

The Winegard site has one - (hughes).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:22 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks all, I will research these later today, after I fill up on Seafood down the Island.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz - have you thought of the aircard? I don't know much about them, but it seems logical if you have cell phone service.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Ozz, there is a Yahoo Group for RV Internet By Satellite. Lot of discussions of internet by satellite and TV too.

RVInternetBySatellite@yahoogroups.com

I don't have one, but maybe someday.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
This is so confusing for me, reading the above post about good coverage, bad coverage, air cards, routers, sat. dishes, I need to trade some electrical work for a good 'puter man or woman's work.
Don, I wouldn't understand much of the discussion, I'm afraid.
I'll have to sit and have coffee with someone and see if I can get the subject to soak in.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Ozz,

I have a dish at home, it is reliable except in heavy rain, and better than dial-up, but not super-fast like cable, and there is some delay because of the distance the signals must travel back and forth via the satellite.

I think if I were in your position, I would look hard at the air card solutions from either Verizon or Sprint. You may not need the router if you only use one computer at a time. For about $60/month you will get pretty high speed 24/7 internet almost anywhere you travel, even while driving along the road. That beats lugging a satellite dish around and setting up and aiming it at each site, (that is unless you want to spend the big bucks for a self aiming roof-top system). Even then, the monthly charges are going to be similar to the air card charges. Here is the link to the Sprint service, Verizon has something similar: http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...byProduct.html It is the "EV-DO-ready Sprint PCS Connection Card" you need to look at.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:52 PM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have the Tri-pod mounted system by Maxwell Satellite, it is very easy to sit-up the dish. However its sometime difficult to bring in the signal. I'm using that system now, it works very well. We tried to the Air card system and found that we couldn't always get a signal. Since we pay all bills on line we had to have a system that worked. I would recomend the roof mounted system, which will auto-lock onto the correct satellite. However its very expensive to get the system and have it installed, cost is around $5,000 give or take and between $80.00 to $100.00 monthly service charge. Data Storm has a system, Winguard will have a system at the end of Feb or Mar. Good Luck on your choice...GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:34 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Brad and OntMont, I think I will look into the Air Card, I like the idea of access where we are getting cell service, even going down the road. That sounds good, Rooftop automatic mount is too expensive for the little it sounds like I would gain.
I have Sprint service now, so maybe that will aid in reducing the bill. Sue and I have the Nextel 'Walkie Talkie' feature, I don't want to give that up either.
OntMont, I will try your link.
Thank you all, lots of questions, not a clue.....
But, I will find out before I'm done. I have until next December before I have to have something.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:32 AM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
A lot of our friends have DataStorm mounted on their RV. They swear by it but it costs about five grand to get started plus a monthly fee. They always have to have a clear opening. I wouldn't like that at all because we love to park in the trees. I have used Verizon air card for almost two years and love it.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have the DirecWay or HugesNet system. It is not the roof mounted system. We use a tripod. Generally we can set up the system in about 15 to 20 minutes. We've had no particular problem with the trees.... other than having to make some long runs. We took a trip across southern Canada this summer and had no trouble making a connection on every stop.

The tripod system costs about 15 hundred plus about $60 per month. If you want a faster service you can pay for the "business" class connection. It is about 100 per month. I'm not sure about the cost of that last service..... it might be more.

We like the system and are able to share it with friends when traveling together.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote