Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Slide Out Failure

We just finished a 500 mile tow over nasty roads; lots of bouncin' and bangin'. When we started setting up we put out the slides then discovered we had no overhead kitchen lighting. It turns out that our entry light had come apart allowing a wire to chafe through. This blew the lighting fuse as soon as we hit the switch for lights.

In the process of troubleshooting I discovered the slides no longer worked from the switch panel inside the door. This made us go hmmmm since the slides had just worked and there were no other fuses blown.

Here's a tricky thing we learned. The slide pump (for hydraulic slides) is activated by a hefty pair of solenoids mounted on the pump body. These are fused by the infamously too small slow blow fuse. The solenoids are activated by the little low current switch in the switch panel by the door. Guess where the 12 volts comes from to power this switch and ultimately the solenoids? It comes off a tap on the kitchen lighting switch.

So if you ever have a situation where your slides won't operate, check all your lights. The primary activation of the slides, it turns out, is fused by the kitchen lighting circuit. I would even hazard a guess that any of those lighting switches could be the source of the tap for the slides so check them all.

Even more important tip....

Whenever anything goes boom electrically, verify the operation of as many things as possible because you never know how things are related to each other and you might get a valuable clue by checking every circuit.

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Thanks forthe heads-up!
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Thanks for the info!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Great info!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Yup. Good to know. Just hope I can remember in 3 and a half years from now when ours goes. Wouldn't it be nice if someone created a manual full of all the knowledge members contribute on this forum. All sorted into chapters based on electrical, plumbing, home entertainment, etc, etc...

No I don't want the job thank you

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Great post! Good info for sure. What I have done is made an Excel spreadsheet of items I have done to our rig, things I want to do and other topics that I think I should keep for future reference. Then I add the link to the the page here on the forum for it so I can easily go back to them in the future.

Jack