Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Axle Shift

This last weekend while trying (that is the operative word) back into a site at the coast, I watched as both my tires and axles shifted due to the angles with which I was trying jack 5th wheel into my spot!!! It scared me enough to get out and look underneath to see if something had broken, (which nothing was) but it makes me think that I need to beef up the suspension with the X-factor system.

Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
How much did the axle shift?

About a month ago I was trying to back into a site at Ft. Stevens I thought I was going to tear something loose but everything was fine with the axles. I always hate having to jack my trailer 90 degrees and have to slide the front tires around and flexing their side walls!! After I had the rig centered up and parked I noticed the back tire on the passengers side was about flat! Now isn't that just great!! So out came my air compressor and tried to air it up but the valve stem must of flexed enough that it was leaking,so off came the tire in the campground and headed to Les Schawb to have it fixed.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Some yawing and twisting is necessary for you to move that big sucker around a sharp corner.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Mine have looked pretty well bent when making some tight turns but mine was normal. Looks bad when it happens though.
Since yours may be different, look for any slide marks on the axles or loose nuts. If the axle"rights itself", you should be okay.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It was probably normal and it does look REAL bad when it's happening. Since trailers do not have differential as either axles this is gonna happen. I almost need this move to back my rig into my driveway where it is stored. I am getting better at minimizing the angle, but even when not jackknifing the turn those tires, wheels and axles are really getting torqued pretty bad.

Over a few months of short trips then returning the rig to its storage spot on my driveway, the shackles had to be replaced because they got bent, out of round and shown terrible wear. I now have the heavy duty shackles with the zerk grease fittings. After several years, they look much better now but I think it would be a combination of the updated and heavier duty shackles, their ability to be lubricated and my improved ability to back into my driveway with the 90 degree jackknifing I used to do.

That's my story. I don't know if that's exactly what you are seeing, but I just wanted you to know that some amount of the tires not sitting straight up and down on a jackknife turn especially when backing up will get some degree of this phenomenon.

I've also been told that after completing the reverse manuever with the rig, that it's important to drive forward and back in a straight manner to return the suspension to its straight up and down condition. In other words, don't leave the rig with the tirss in that odd aspect. It's bad for the suspension and the tires.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I recommend installing the X factor. When we installed it on our trailer even though the frame looked OK we found the passenger side frame rail bent at the center Moride attach fitting. The surprising thing is we straitened the frame with a pair of “C” clamps when installed the X Factor.

I also recommend the wet bolt kit. All of our bushings were worn so that the bolts were contacting the metal spring shackles.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I feel much better after I installed the X Factor. The Mor/Ryde hangers were slightly toed out. It was very slight and might have been within tolerances but they are straight now.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
It didn't shift the axle and everything is tight. As you said Art, it looked bad but after getting into my spot and pulling it forward a couple of times (to make sure everything "re-centered" itself), there was no problems under it.
Thanks for all of your responses.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote