Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
vgforbes
Established Member

M.O.C. #9454
internet

With today's technology does anyone know if there is a practical way to get connected to the internet while traveling. More rv pARKS ARE GETTING WIRELESS , but i'd like to know if there is anything available that would work anywhere ?

vgforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Wow! That's a tall question. I don't think there is a piece of equipment out there that connects to the Internet that would not have down time. Satellites are plagued by atmospheric interference. Cell modems can be prone in some parts of the country to not find a connection. Camp ground WiFi services are far and few, although there are some areas where you have a pay-as-you go connection.

I have been using AT&T USB-881 modem for the past year or so. We just concluded a 4000+, 89 day, trip. Only in Millersburg, OH was there any problem with the modem's ability to connect, and in that particular instance the camp ground had free WiFi (go figure). Many times I had 1 bar, and many of those times connectivity was slow, but hey, I was connected.

I really don't think you will find a one-stop solution, but you have to research and decide what has the best connectivity for your needs. I wish I could be more helpful in a solution, but I just can't think of one.

Good luck.

Edited: I know that using libraries would mean leaving the comfort of the RV, but it is an option. Also, with a Cell Modem, it can be used as you travel, but again it will have areas that cell service is not available. With something that is portable, at least you can drive until you find a signal, stop and do your business.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
We have Verizon and use the USB720 modem.. We were on a 4 month trip and had very little problems with it.. some places were not very good..I do have an external antenna that I hook up when we have a weak signal.. But for the most part we are happy with the USB720..
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
As others have indicated there is no ONE thing that will get you 100% connectivity. But the aircards come really close. We've been with the Verizon aircard for a few years and find them to be able to connect most of the time.

We started out with just looking for WiFi hookups but found that process to be really spotty. Often as not the signal was not good enough to work well and or the price was too high. Or the connection was anything but user friendly!

Then went with the HughesNet satellite process. We just got tired of lugging the dish around and setting up. Also Hughes really doesn't seem to care whether you are a customer or not.

One of the features I like about the aircard is that you can connect while actually traveling down the highway. Of course the driver is NOT looking at the computer..... it is the passenger / navigator.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I think a air card is your best bet to connect to the internet.I just got a verizon USB 760-it hooks up to a USB port.Its not cable speed but really not to far behind.I`ve noticed on some sites the streaming video can be a little choppy,but other then that I`am very pleased with the preformance.All my bills are paid on line so connecting to the internet is a must for me.I think its a pretty good deal for 59 bucks a month.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:06 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Verizon aircard here. We do use it in a router which is connected to the wife's desktop and I Wifi off her with my laptop. I would say we have had about 95 -98% success with it. Oh Yeah, we also use a Wilson Antenna and a 3 watt amplifier. The folks at www.3gstore.com are very helpful with seting folks up. Ask for Alex and let him know you are a member of the MOC. Their phone number is on their website. Good luck and welcome to the forum....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:01 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vgforbes

With today's technology does anyone know if there is a practical way to get connected to the internet while traveling. More rv pARKS ARE GETTING WIRELESS , but i'd like to know if there is anything available that would work anywhere ?
Contrary to what some have said, High Speed Internet Satellite systems do work. We have Starband, have had it for 18 months and it has never given us any down time except when we had a severe thunderstorm in Indiana. In most severe weather, we shut down everything that is computerized anyway.

Some have previously said in other threads that they didn't like having to lug around the equipment for satellite systems. Well, we don't seem to have any problem with it. And, when we arrive at our destination, I can have the satellite system and DirecTV both set up within 15 minutes.

Don't let anyone convince you that you're too old to be doing this because age has nothing to do with it. It's kind of like those who will not use their 50-amp cable because it's "too heavy."

There, I've said my piece, what say you?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:37 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Orv,
When you were down, wasn't that interference?

Satellite may be the most reliable, except when there are storms, and the are the most expensive.

It really comes down to a mater of choice and what you can live with.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Waynem,
If you want to be very technical, yes it's interference. However I don't consider that bad. I shut down to avoid damage. There is no system that is perfect. But I like the high speed satellite system we have because it has 5 GB download bandwidth for any 7-day period. Of course they are expensive, but what does a person want? You get what you pay for.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Orv,
Where did anyone in this thread indicate that the satellite system didn't work? I said that we got tired of lugging the dish around and that Hughes Net didn't really seem to care about their customer service. We could have paid for the automatic system which would make lugging the dish around a non issue but that was a bit too expensive for us.

I could not find any indication in any of the other postings in this thread about the satellite system not working.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Verizon aircard and router for us, too. Plus 3-watt booster. We also have a Wilson Truckers external antenna although we've only used it once.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:45 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Orv,
Where did anyone in this thread indicate that the satellite system didn't work? I said that we got tired of lugging the dish around and that Hughes Net didn't really seem to care about their customer service. We could have paid for the automatic system which would make lugging the dish around a non issue but that was a bit too expensive for us.

I could not find any indication in any of the other postings in this thread about the satellite system not working.

HamRad
HamRad, I wasn't quoting you, in fact I hadn't even noticed your post and it wasn't in this thread. It was back about six months or so (I lost track of time when I was recuperating). Probably shouldn't have mentioned it, but I was just wanting to be informative. Guess I wasn't.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Verizon aircard here. We do use it in a router which is connected to the wife's desktop and I Wifi off her with my laptop. I would say we have had about 95 -98% success with it. Oh Yeah, we also use a Wilson Antenna and a 3 watt amplifier. The folks at www.3gstore.com are very helpful with seting folks up. Ask for Alex and let him know you are a member of the MOC. Their phone number is on their website. Good luck and welcome to the forum....
We have the exact same setup, and it works very well. Previously, we also went the "dish" route; save your money, the technology has changed, go with the aircard, router, 3-watt booster and data antenna. Talk to Alex, he will set you up....he's at 866 347-8673
extension 712.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote