Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2005, 04:37 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Tacoma Tire Issue?

Has anyone heard of any issues/recalls with Tacoma tires on their Monty? Called Keystone this morning and they gave me an 800 number to Tacoma, then they gave me a different number for a gentleman working with the "Tacoma Tire Issues:??

Has anyone heard of something with these OEM tires?

Keystone gave me the following number 214-630-9381. All four tires have depressions or indentations they do not look right. I am trying to get into the Cardinal BB. Tomorrow I will contact my Montana dealer for help.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Haven't seen anything yet.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:52 AM   #3
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
No problems here at all after 8K miles. The tires are holding up great. Keep the pressure at 80 PSI, and the problems should be minimal. What caused you to contact Keystone in the 1st place?
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Would you let us know what Tacoma says regarding tire problem. Could you give us the number for Tacoma?

Thanks

Steve
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We would like to have the number for Tacoma tires too please.
Thanks
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
First I called Keystone and then I called a phone number for Tacoma tires today, and was transfered to cooper tire and then Parrish tire and was transfered to treadway tire, no one knew anything! I finally called our dealer in Texas and they said they had not heard anything about the tires and if we had a problem to call the service manager there and they would take care of it or send us to a Montana service place closer to our home.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I also got the phone number run around. A gentleman at Tread ways was nice. He asked what I am seeing on the tires. He called them "undulations". It is an area of the tire where two belts overlap a little too much had thus do not flex as the other area of the sidewalls. He said they pose no safety issue. I hope he is right!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #8
Montana_2547
Established Member

M.O.C. #2547
I just returned from a trip to Branson from Louisiana, roughly 2200 miles in all. Of the 4 Tacoma tires on my 3255RL, three went flat. One was totally destroyed, one had a bad valve stem and one developed large bubbles on the sidewall. I had checked the inflation so I feel comfortable that's not the issue. THREE tires!! Coinsidence (sp?). I don't think so? I found this thread as I was searching for others who may be having similar problems. I'm certainly interested in hearing from any of you who've had similar problems as well as any resolutions the mfg. was able to provide.
Montana_2547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #9
Montana_984
Established Member

M.O.C. #984
Just returned from Rogue River Oregon, On the way down from Point Roberts Wa. we had just left a rest area I had checked all four TACOMA TIRES on our 2004,3400Rk Montana just after getting up to 65 miles per hour I noticed chunks of tire comming out from under our trailer. By the time I got stopped at the side of the road the tire was disintagrated, but saved the aluminmun rim.
When the AAA road service changed the tire we noticed that the valve stem in the destroyed tire was missing. Upon inspection of the other three tires the technician stated that the valve stems in the aluminmun wheels were only rated for 50 PSI the tires are running 80 PSI. When we took the trailer into a Les Schwabe Tire store in Medford Oregon we were told the same thing. The stems are only rated at 50 PSI. I had the tire dealer replace all four stems with ones that threaded and have a nut on both sides. This gives me peace of mind that it won't happen again. Four new valve stems, ballanced all four wheels and one new spare $181.00 The valve stems are only $5.00 each. cheap insurance. I would like to know who to contact to be reimbursed for the tire. I don't think it was the tire's fault it was Montana's or who put the valve stems in the wheels
Montana_984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:06 AM   #10
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by donlinda

Just returned from Rogue River Oregon, On the way down from Point Roberts Wa. we had just left a rest area I had checked all four TACOMA TIRES on our 2004,3400Rk Montana just after getting up to 65 miles per hour I noticed chunks of tire comming out from under our trailer. By the time I got stopped at the side of the road the tire was disintagrated, but saved the aluminmun rim.
When the AAA road service changed the tire we noticed that the valve stem in the destroyed tire was missing. Upon inspection of the other three tires the technician stated that the valve stems in the aluminmun wheels were only rated for 50 PSI the tires are running 80 PSI. When we took the trailer into a Les Schwabe Tire store in
Medford Oregon we were told the same thing. The stems are only rated at 50 PSI. I had the tire dealer replace all four stems with ones that threaded and have a nut on both sides. This gives me peace of mind that it won't happen again. Four new valve stems, ballanced all four wheels and one new spare $181.00 The valve stems are only $5.00 each. cheap insurance. I would like to know who to contact to be reimbursed for the tire. I don't think it was the tire's fault it was Montana's or who put the valve stems in the wheels
donlinda,
I think the tires are a Cooper tire product. Might do a search on Tacoma as this was discussed recently. Let us know if you find something different. Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:19 AM   #11
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
We have Tacomas on our 2955RL. They started out with 15/32 tread depth. They are now relatively uniform at 9/32. There is over 40,000 miles on them and no flats. Been rotated once. Having brakes and running gear checked next week prior to storage.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:31 AM   #12
Montana_2547
Established Member

M.O.C. #2547
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by donlinda

When the AAA road service changed the tire we noticed that the valve stem in the destroyed tire was missing. Upon inspection of the other three tires the technician stated that the valve stems in the aluminmun wheels were only rated for 50 PSI the tires are running 80 PSI.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:37 AM   #13
Montana_2547
Established Member

M.O.C. #2547
Interesting about the valve stem issue. The stem on my disentigrated tire was gone. On another flat, air was leaking from around the stem. I might surmise the third flat had a faulty stem causing the tire to lose air, run hot and begin to separate. Flats 2 & 3 may have disentigrated as well had I not been paying close attention. I'll be doing some more research on the tires before I feel comfortable enough with just a valve stem replacement. Two tires replace already.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Donlinda, I'm sorry to hear about the tire problems. We've had problems with our Goodyear tires, too. As for reimbursement, you'll likely have to look to the tire mfr. No vehicle manufacturer I'm aware of warrants the tires. They all say in the warranty manuals the tires are warranted by the tire mfrs. I could be wrong but I doubt Montana will warrant the tires other than to meet the specs required for the rig. Good luck with it. I hope you saved as much of the tire as you could. Goodyear wouldn't do squat without the old tire when I tried to get a blown tire replaced and didn't keep the old one to show them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:06 AM   #15
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Dealer installed after market wheels on my Monty, the wheels are rated 3200# load rating. So am good there but how do you check or find the rating on the valve stems?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:03 AM   #16
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
The better valve stems are held to the rim by a threaded stem and nut inside the tire. The lesser ones are all rubber and are pulled thru the hole in the rim and thats it. You will know if you have metal stems they are probably the ones rated for 80 lbs of pressure. At least thats what I have been told anyway.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:32 AM   #17
Montana_984
Established Member

M.O.C. #984
We contacted Keystone regarding the valve stem problem and subsequent tire failure. The gentleman in customer relations told me to send them the bills for valve stem & tire replacement and I would be reimbursed. That was just last week, you know how that works they will take your money in a heartbeat but it usually takes 6 to 8 weeks to get it back. Now if I could be so lucky with the Dodge Wasrranty people, will keep you informed.
Montana_984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:38 AM   #18
Montana_2547
Established Member

M.O.C. #2547
I called the number that was given out for Tacoma, left a message and never got a call back. I ended up replacing the stems in all tires and replacing two.