Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2005, 04:05 AM   #1
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Air Conditioner Overflow

With the high heat and high humidity here for the last weekend and into this week, we have been exercising our AC while at camp. A strange (maybe) thing has been happening. The thermostat is set at about 78, the AC setting is on with fan at Auto and Hi as people on the site have recommended. Cooling works great and we are quite comfortable. Switches off aafter a reasonable time and does not appear to run overtime. However, we are getting a lot of overflow--a steady stream of water off our clothespin when the AC has run for a while. Guess this means that it is efficiently removing water from inside the rig--but is the overflow supposed to happen like this? What should I be looking for when I go up on the roof to see if this is actually a problem? Words of advice and/or reassurance gratefully accepted.

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:16 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think you nailed it. The A/C unit is very efficently removing the humidity from your Monty. I am assuming that there is a significant level of humidity where you are now.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:04 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ours (and those on previous rigs) have always dumped some (or a lot, depending on heat and humidity levels) water out and it runs off the rig. I would worry more if it were running INSIDE Montana.

If looking on roof, look to see if there are no puddles, and that it is running off the rig.

And, I am sure the fellows will be along and add to my limited understanding.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Guys you are right on the mark. The more humidity the more water and thank God it is running off the roof. I do not know this these newer units have a drip pan access, but it so, it would be good to take a peek just to be sure the drain is free running. In remember in years past the older Coleman units had a pan and could stop up. Good oversight will preclude any such problems.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:50 AM   #5
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
In the hot/humid Texas weather here, ours will create a continuous stream of water from the roof. This is exactly what you want to see. If the stream stops, that is when you should start to worry! Sometimes the little channel that routes the water will clog up with debris, and the water can back up into the inside of the trailer.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:01 AM   #6
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
You should see all the a/c puddles on the ground around all the rigs here in Independence! The buggers are running almost constantly.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Vicki,

Funny you should mention those "infamous" dimples in the ground. You can feel them when you walk around a lot of campsites, and you can see when there was a smaller rig or a larger rig with the air running, but the placement of the dimple on the campsite!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
So far we're feeling a lot better about the AC! Thanks all! As you might guess, this is the first time we have had the luxury of AC that actually worked. I am planningg to get up on the roof to check the pan anyway--just so I know what it should look like when it is functioning properly. Learn something new every day.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bowie, as Vicki indicated, we also have a steady stream of water coming off a clothespin in this humid weather. Ours has been doing that every time we're in hot, humid weather for almost three years and the AC is still working fine. It's normal.

When I was outside earlier today I noticed a big puddle under the middle of the Montana. Since we just had a leak fixed in the gray tank system this caught my attention. Peeking underneath I could see the water was coming all the way from a rear corner. Despite the heat, there was still a puddle. That's how much water was draining off the roof. It wasn't just damp, it was a puddle on the concrete slab we're parked on.

Besides, the stream of water tells me which corner is the lowest corner of the rig at the moment. I always wondered what would happen if we were perfectly level. Which way would the water go? Most likely, right over the entry door.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote