Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
jlemon
Established Member

M.O.C. #21912
Curious Question - Black Tank

I work on the road and live in my camper 365 days a year. I am often parked in the same location for months sometimes years. And so every time I dump and rinse my black tank I often wonder.

Has anyone even installed a macerator between the toilet and the black tank? Is this even possible? Why don't rv's come equipped with them to begin with?

The dreaded poop pyramid, sensors covered in toilet paper, or those lingering turds that refuse to leave would be a thing of the past.

I have tried products like Unique RV Digest-IT Holding Tank Treatment and the sensor cleaner. I have used the lame rinse sprayer installed by the factory, the gimmicky wands that you stick in the toilet, and the flush kits that attach after the valve. All these products have work with marginal results. I know there are macerating toilets on the market, but they cost a bloody fortune.

With all of the technology out there for everything under the sun, why has there not been advancement in the one feature that everyone uses on a daily basis?

jlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Boats with marine toilets have built in macerater between the toilet and the tank. I'm guessing high end RVs have them.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:02 AM   #3
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Hi,

the Dometic 8500 series comes with high-performance macerator pumped and is supposed to fit in the same room.
I found it too late when we replaced ours... next time.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are long timers heavy users of the Montana. We use a lot of water and dump the black tank often. Two Montana since 2006 and never a black tank clog problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
A couple of suggestions. i'm assuming you are alone.

1. you don't have to clean out the tank each time you dump.
2. being alone you probably don't have to dump more than one or two time a month.
3. if you are worried about the paper in the tank just do it the 'mexican' way and throw the paper in a basket so that no paper goes into the toilet. this solves a number of potential problems.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Like Rich said, lots of water and dump more often. These Montana tanks aren't worth a dam, so extra care is advisable.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
I used to have the same problem along with the dumb valve leaking. 15 years ago we started a new policy. Only water and bodily waste goes in black tank. I flush the tank until the water color gets pretty close to clear everytimeIdump. Since then, never had another problem with build up or leaking valves. Before changing the policy, every RV we owned had black tank problems.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #8
harris71
Established Member

M.O.C. #13782
"pyramid" buster

I always put several inches of water in the black tank before we use it for the first time at a campsite. My monte has the tank flushers which seem fairly effective. However, I discovered a trick a few years ago when I was flushing the black tank and the DW had to go and flushed the toilet. It was at a point that the water was running almost clear. I noticed several large "chunks" came out. I had her lightly press the pedal to fill the bowl almost to the top and then flush. More stuff came out. After 5 or 6 of these, it was mostly clear again so we stopped. I now do this whenever we want to clean out the tank thoroughly. If you think about it, even with several inches of water in the tank, the solids are going to collect in a pile under the toilet's outlet. This technique seems to break up the pyramid.
harris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #9
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
We have a 2010 Mountaineer. In 2012 we had black tank plug issues. We are Winter Texans sitting in one spot for 3-4 months. An RV Repairman sold me on a reverse flo valve and showed me how to use it to dislodge the plug. About the same time I attended an RV Clinic where they demonstrated the various brands of TP. They convinced us to use Angel Soft (Septic Safe) purchased at the grocery store. They suggested an enzyme powder (instead of the black tank deoderant) (2 TBSP) added to a 50 gal tank after eadh draining and put a couple gal of water back in the tank so you don't create those dry pyramids. The water also allows the enzyme to start breaking down the solids right away. And use plenty of water with eadh flush. They said the cause of most clogs is the material is too dry and not enough water being used when flushing. They said a full tank will empty much better than a partially full one. Don't drain until you hear the tank give you that belch or burp. And they suggested when we move from site to site, leave some water in the tank and add some Dawn Dish Soap to slosh around while going down the road.. So I thought if it is so great to put Dawn Dish soap in the tank when moving why not put a little (1/2 cup) in after every draining.

I use the reverse flo valve to refill the tank about half full a couple times after the tank first drains. When done, I add 2 or 3 gallons of water to the tank and 2 TBSP of Sea-Zyme enzyme, and 1/2 cup of Dawn. And we switched to Angel Soft paper. When I pull that valve to drain it slithers out like grease. And there is not much solids. Mostly brown liquid with a hint of paper now and then. That was 8 years ago.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:59 AM   #10
Twtudor
Established Member

M.O.C. #25333
If you don’t use the deodorant does it smell?
Twtudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #11
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
No. If you stand there and hold the flush valve open long enough then you could eventually get a wiff but just to flush, no. In fact, I think it is less of a smell than when we used to just use the deoderant.

When you start using the enzyme you have to first empty your tank and then fill it with water and add a box of baking soda and leave it sit for a few hours (it will tell you on the box). I think that is to neutralize any previous chemicals that may have been in the tank. Then no bowl cleaners as they may kill the enzyme. The enzyme is good for the Park's septic system too as it helps clean their pipes and breakdown the solids in their system. A box of enzyme will probably last you 6 months or more if you were fulltimming.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #12
krahopkin
Established Member

M.O.C. #17294
Where do you find the enzyme powder?
krahopkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #13
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
GNLRVSpecialties.com . Gary Baecker 361-947-1192. Email: RVFools@yahoo.com
Old 02-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #14
jlemon
Established Member

M.O.C. #21912
I do live alone 9 months out of the year, the other 3 months my wife and kids are with me.

When alone I have to dump tank once a week.
When family is with me it is at least 3 times a week.

I use tons of water, and Unique brand chemicals, but the water and chemicals alone does not break down waste fast enough when you have to dump frequently.

To me, the easiest way to break down waste in a system that is cycled frequently would be a mechanical solution.

Even in municipal waste plant the use grinder pumps and mixers to break down solid waste.
jlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:16 PM   #15
TN road dog
Established Member

M.O.C. #13347
I agree with Buckfisher, nothing but body waste. In our 1st RV, a Cougar TT, had black tank troubles. Once we adopted no paper down the toile and after a thorough cleaning the problems went away. In our Montana we continue the same. However, in addition I did add another black tank flush nozzle which help clean more thoroughly and faster. I also agree with adding water to the tank to start and use plenty of water between flushes.
A full bowl flushing helps too.
TN road dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #16
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by whutfles View Post
We have a 2010 Mountaineer. In 2012 we had black tank plug issues. We are Winter Texans sitting in one spot for 3-4 months. An RV Repairman sold me on a reverse flo valve and showed me how to use it to dislodge the plug. About the same time I attended an RV Clinic where they demonstrated the various brands of TP. They convinced us to use Angel Soft (Septic Safe) purchased at the grocery store. They suggested an enzyme powder (instead of the black tank deoderant) (2 TBSP) added to a 50 gal tank after eadh draining and put a couple gal of water back in the tank so you don't create those dry pyramids. The water also allows the enzyme to start breaking down the solids right away. And use plenty of water with eadh flush. They said the cause of most clogs is the material is too dry and not enough water being used when flushing. They said a full tank will empty much better than a partially full one. Don't drain until you hear the tank give you that belch or burp. And they suggested when we move from site to site, leave some water in the tank and add some Dawn Dish Soap to slosh around while going down the road.. So I thought if it is so great to put Dawn Dish soap in the tank when moving why not put a little (1/2 cup) in after every draining.

I use the reverse flo valve to refill the tank about half full a couple times after the tank first drains. When done, I add 2 or 3 gallons of water to the tank and 2 TBSP of Sea-Zyme enzyme, and 1/2 cup of Dawn. And we switched to Angel Soft paper. When I pull that valve to drain it slithers out like grease. And there is not much solids. Mostly brown liquid with a hint of paper now and then. That was 8 years ago.
My family was in the septic cleaning and installation business for many years so I've seen a thing or two. I have never seen an enzyme that was working in less that two weeks so generally in an rv your dumping raw enzyme out. I could be wrong as there may be some on the market for rv's that work faster but I seriously doubt it. You can tell if it's working when you dump. If the color is black it's working, if the color is brown it's not.
Either way you can save the money you're spending since the dawn will counter act any action an enzyme might do.
I use a cap of laundry soap and a cap full of Calgon after each dumping. I have never had a buildup, odor, or sensor issue over the years. I do like the idea of filling the toilet and dumping it a few times when the tank is empty to break up anything building right under the pipe. I think I'll try that and see if more brown comes out.

As we used to say in the business, "a good flush always beats a full house"

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:37 AM   #17
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
I can appreciate your experience and I do not know what affect the dawn has on the enzyme. But the combination has been working for me. The color is a dark brown. With all of the paper we use, I can't believe I don't see some white in there until just a little white at the end. And I don't see any solids until the end. Just a lot of dark brown liquid, Oh Hell, at my age, maybe it's the eyes.

It ain't broke, so I'm not going to fix it.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #18
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
If you're not seeing any white till the end that's good. It means the paper you're using is braking down. keep up the good work.
Like you say, no need to fix if it ain't broke.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #19
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
We started using Tide Pods in our tanks last season. One pod in each tank after each dump. Seems to be working well for us so far.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
We started using Tide Pods in our tanks last season. One pod in each tank after each dump. Seems to be working well for us so far.
Well that makes more sense than what the kids were doing with those.......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote