Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
Honda Generators in Truck bed

I remember in the past seeing that someone had mounted two Honda 2000 generators in their truck bed between the hitch and the tailgate. They had built a metal frame to hold them and lock them. In searching I have been unable to find the explanation and photos.

Anybody remember who did this and how I can find that thread?

Thanks

Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I built a wood frame for ours:

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
JayBird is the one that has the metal frame at the tail gate.
I copied Tom but my wooden frame is in front of the hitch.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I also copied Tom, but my two gens ride on the left and propane tanks for my grill and a five gallon gas can rides on the right.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I'm downloaded for the winter but this is the box I built for the Honda's. It will hold a small fuel tank in the middle. Box fits between my aux truck tank and hitch. Box is vented top and bottom. Lid is secured with a hasp on each end and padlocked. Keeps them dry and away from prying eyes.
Mike
http://s1190.beta.photobucket.com/us...38169750023145
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
Thanks everyone. It was Tom's I was remembering and will probably copy. I do think I will build it out of metal. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

I built a wood frame for ours:

I know someone who did this and the crooks at Quartzite sawed through the handles and removed the cables being used to hold them down It definitely isn't fool proof.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Here is my setup. It is made of metal.

http://s858.beta.photobucket.com/use...tml?sort=3&o=1
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
Jay Bird, your setup is great. Where did you get the frame made? Cost?
McIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
I love it. Great build. I think i will probably copy you.
Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jay Bird

Here is my setup. It is made of metal.

http://s858.beta.photobucket.com/use...tml?sort=3&o=1
Old 12-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #11
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Jaybird,

Nice job. Simple but very effective design. I like that you even have some cushioning on some of the uprights to protect the generators from rubbing. Very thoughtful.

Just curious - do you have it bolted to the bed of the truck or are you relying on the combined weight and bulkiness of the unit to deter most (which I think it would)
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

Jaybird,

Nice job. Simple but very effective design. I like that you even have some cushioning on some of the uprights to protect the generators from rubbing. Very thoughtful.

Just curious - do you have it bolted to the bed of the truck or are you relying on the combined weight and bulkiness of the unit to deter most (which I think it would)
Look at the pictures - it's bolted in.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Thanks.
McIver. I had a local weld shop make them for me. They will run about $150.00 each if you use solid rods like I have plus a base plate all welded together. You can have them with tubable rods.

Mel. They are bolted to the bed. Go for it.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Great design, will have to think about doing that too!!!
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Finally got my Generator/storage box finished. Some of the welding had to be done by an outside jobber, for that reason it took longer than it should have to complete. The material used is 1/8” aluminum checker plate.
The generator compartment has a fold down removable door so that I can take the generator out to service it. The compartments are independent but share a common back and bottom.

In this picture I am load testing the generator with an 800 watt heater and my 120 psi compressor, good load to also make sure the generator was receiving enough cooling air and not overheating in the compartment. All was great I am glad to say, although I did have to modify the exhaust grate on the generator to point it up rather than straight away from the generator. I made up a 30’ cord to connect to my home brew generator isolator in the front compartment of the Monty. The box itself is 62” long, 27” wide and 22” high.

This setup is not made for a short box that is for sure. Now I just have to get out and use all the new mods and go where it is warm.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #16
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Very nice job there Irlpguy!. Very professional looking. I can appreiciate great metal workings!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Thanks Champ_49 for the comment. I take full credit for the design, a lot of credit goes to a friend with a metal shop who showed me how to bend the material and helped when I was stuck after messing up a couple of smaller pieces of aluminum, and another friend in a welding shop who did some welding for me.

My wire feed welder does not do aluminum without fairly expensive attachments which I am not prepared to buy, let alone learn how to use.

The free help and use of friends equipment saved me about $500.00 in labor in building the box and it was fun and frustrating at times. Won't be building any more I don't think.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Thanks Champ_49 for the comment. I take full credit for the design, a lot of credit goes to a friend with a metal shop who showed me how to bend the material and helped when I was stuck after messing up a couple of smaller pieces of aluminum, and another friend in a welding shop who did some welding for me.

My wire feed welder does not do aluminum without fairly expensive attachments which I am not prepared to buy, let alone learn how to use.

The free help and use of friends equipment saved me about $500.00 in labor in building the box and it was fun and frustrating at times. Won't be building any more I don't think.
I built oval track race cars from the ground up and there is nothing like welding and bending metal. I find it a lot easier than wood. When I quit racing and building cars I started doing some things around the house that should have been done a long time ago. I found it harder to do than metal work because I can bend metal, you can't wood.....lol. Wife said just think of it as metal and go for it so thats just what I did and everything I did with wood was over built because I kept thinking strong like a race car. I finally come to terms that wood working is for that other guy!!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Jaybird & Irlpguy I like both your setups.

Mine is hidden behind the fairing on the truck.

One of the tricks I did to make it more difficult to remove the generator which would also work in the designs shown is I removed the bolts that hold the rubber feet to the bottom of the generator. I then got replacement bolts there were long enough to bolt the feet back on thru the floor that the generator rests on. So the generator is now bolted to the floor. So by the time the bad guy figures out what is going on and what it is going to take to remove the generator. Odds are a thief does not want to take the time to remove the bolts and there is no easy/quick way to remove them. This could easily be done with anything that slides in to the back of a P/U assuming you do not plan on removing the generator from the truck at a campsite.

http://www.wyliephotos.com/Volvo780/...-NoFairing.JPG
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote