Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
AaronAnita
Established Member

M.O.C. #10922
Send a message via MSN to AaronAnita
Mud flaps

I installed the Ford mud flaps on my 03, F-350. Our new trailer is getting splattered with dirt and mud. The hard plastic guards are not doing their job. What do ya'll recommend? I appreciate your time and knowledge!

AaronAnita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
I've been using Duraflaps. I'm pretty happy with them so far.

http://www.duraflap.com/
Old 12-07-2010, 01:39 AM   #3
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I fabricated my own mud flaps from parts I had on hand. The mud flap is eight feet long, and about 14" high and installs in to the 2" receiver hitch on my truck. This way I can easily remove it when driving without the Montana. I had a rubber bed liner from a previous truck and cut it up to the size I wanted to use. I purchased 3" x 1/4" bar stock to add as weights to hold the flaps in place. Worked out very good. This type of mud flap can also be purchased online at various auto/truck supply companies but will cost around $300.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I have the Ford mud flaps on our dually and have been very pleased with them. They are the rubber type like big rigs use and the Montana is a lot cleaner than it was before I installed the them.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I actually have two sets. One set are home made and bolt on the the frame of the truck with some square tubing I welded up to fit. The flaps themselves are actually one semi mudflap cut in half for each side. The other set only go on when towing and are made by Enkay. They fasten to the truck's regular trailer hitch, and with the trailer hitched to the truck, ride very close to the ground. Even with two sets, I still get some cast off on the trailer, but nothing like would without them.

The lowest price I found for the Enkay's was at Cabella's.

The Home made flaps:

The Enkay Flaps:
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:16 AM   #6
AaronAnita
Established Member

M.O.C. #10922
Send a message via MSN to AaronAnita
Wow you guys. This forum is so awesome! Can you tell I'm new?! The pictures are great. Googling "mud flaps" left me too many options and not knowing what really works. Nothing like experience as a teacher.
AaronAnita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:05 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AaronAnita

Wow you guys. This forum is so awesome! Can you tell I'm new?! The pictures are great. Googling "mud flaps" left me too many options and not knowing what really works. Nothing like experience as a teacher.
Despite some of us being older than dirt (myself included), we were all 'new' at one time!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I have been looking for other trucks like mine (350,srw) that have had splash guards attached...have not seen many! Given the mess on the front of our fifth wheel caused by not having the guards I really would like to put some on, but the couple of trucks I have seen with the guards have not been very impressive: The guards are flimsy and are not even as wide as the tires! What good would they do? Just another thing to shop for.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
If you use the long rubber type mud flaps as I do, you probably want to look into these anti sail brackets or something similar. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5193_200325193 I made my own out of stainless steel. The bracket keeps the mud flaps from blowing back in the wind going down the road. As they blow back they essentially become shorter and expose your fiver to more road debris.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote