Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
knighton91
Established Member

M.O.C. #10855
Towing with a 08 GMC 2500HD

Hello All,
I am new to the website and would like some input. I am considering a Mountaineer 324rlq and would like to know if my truck, an 08 GMC 2500HD is capable of handling this size and weight unit. I have "never" towed anything larger than a boat and wonder if I am starting out to big. The Mountaineer seems to be a great unit; all input is appreciated.

THANKS,

Knighton91

knighton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Welcome Knighton91 to the best forum around. Some "Weight Advisors" will be along shortly to give you what you need. I have a 2500 Duramax and pull the next size trailer with no problems whatsoever.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by knighton91

Hello All,
I am new to the website and would like some input. I am considering a Mountaineer 324rlq and would like to know if my truck, an 08 GMC 2500HD is capable of handling this size and weight unit. I have "never" towed anything larger than a boat and wonder if I am starting out to big. The Mountaineer seems to be a great unit; all input is appreciated.

THANKS,

Knighton91
Duramax diesel? If not, you can pull it, but hills will give you a fit. The diesel will do a great job.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
I have the same truck as you, although you don't state whether your truck is a 4X4 or a crew cab. Mine is a 4x4, crew cab with a standard box. I tow a 2010 Montana 3150RL with no difficulty, although I did get Firestone air bags installed. Your trailer pin wt is about 300 lbs heavier than mine, but the over all gross trailer wt is the same. I live in Western Canada and pull our monty through the Rocky Mtns a fair amount, and I've never found that the Duramax was lacking the power to handle our monty in the mountains.

I am over the 9200lb GVWR, but under the axel and tire weight ratings. The truck will have no problem handling the trailer, but you have to be comfortable with being over the truck GVWR.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Look at the door pillar to find your RAWR and GVWR. Then check your owner's manual for the CGVWR. Then use ONLY the GTWR for your calculations to figure out pin weight (Montys average 18%-20%, but don't be surprised if you go as high as 25%). I am over 19%. Then compare these at ALL points. If you are overweight anywhere, you are overweight.

It is NOT the engine and transmission you need to worry about! Those same powerplants are put in Trucks of all sizes.

So if the same engine and trans are in them, why don't all trucks have the same weight ratings, or worse yet, why do some trucks have less weight ratings? It's because there is more to towing and carrying weight than the powerplant! You must also know that the springs, axles, bearings, frame, differential, number of tires, sizes of tires and wheels, shock absorbers, nuts, bolts, brackets, brakes, size and capacity of brakes, and these and many other things are used to factor what the truck's weight ratings will be.

Then, most aftermarket addons DO NOT increase the weight ratings for your truck (look for the fine print, they will declare that and I only said most but haven't found one that does, yet). They only help improve the ride, height, comfort, headlight aim, your mental state or help disguise you are actually overweight (my airbags did this). But sure as you are overweight, something will eventually bend or break. It is not against the law, per se, for a private owner to be overweight, but rest assured in the event of an accident you will be liable regardless of the circumstances.

Then to know for sure you'll need a trip to the scales. I wasn't thorough enough because I did not do ENOUGH calculations and didn't find I was overweight until I hit the scales. Fortunately, I was able to install additional factory hardware for my F-250 to have it match an F-350 and this solved my problem but this cannot always be done. For example, if I get a new Monty with a higher GTWR, this truck won't cut it.

I also found that some owners of F-250s HAVE the F-350 hardware, wheels and tires and the truck is still stamped with the F-250 ratings. NOTE: the rear stabilizer bar does NOT improve the weight ratings - it only helps stabilize top heavy loads (like with a truck bed camper). This just allows that you must maintain the truck's weight ratings but much of the weight creates a higher center of gravity.

If you need help with this let me know. It took me a ton of research to fully understand this technically and legally. With the industry estimates that 40-45% of RVers are overweight, I wanted to be on the 55-60% that are within spec and finally got there. This was a huge boost to my mental state. Problems occur all the time with RVers, why add to the potential? After all, we are now dealing with many tons of traveling rig combinations now.

Btw - this problem is NOT specific to this website. ALL RVers whether towing a trailer or carrying all their gear in a car, need to consider this problem. Just because there's room for an item doesn't mean you can bring it along safely.

Good luck with the decisions you make.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I believe this to be true.
1. Most 250, 2500 owners wish they had a 350 or 3500.
2. Most 350 or 3500 owners wish they had freightliners or bigger.
The boys will never be happy with their toys. If it pulls it and you are comfortable with it press on.
I also believe the engineers and lawyers add a 15-20% fudge factor to all the ratings.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
As noted above, pulling is not the problem. The problem is the ability of a 3/4 ton to handle the pin weight and remain within its GVWR.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote