Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2010, 02:55 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Be careful with debit card

I have been using a debit card for many years. Ever since they had them. Never had a problem until this month.
I got my hair cut at a well known chain establishment in Colorado while we were there. Lady was very friendly but thought she ask too many questions. I did not give her any information that would cause this.
I think she sold the numbers on my debit card because the charges were coming from Nebraska.
I don't keep much money in this account. It is used only for bill paying. Well they waited until my Social Security check landed and emptied my account! I had not used this debit card for two months, so it had to be there. I have talked to my bank and debit card people and I will get my money back but it won't be today, tomorrow or probably not next week. I have a new debit card on the way. Had to cancel this one. My bank account was not in danger, just the number on that debit card.

I think it would be safer to go to an ATM and get cash for all local transactions, such as haircuts, stores and etc.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:43 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
It is so sad that folks will take another ones property, whether it be money or material goods. Guess it has always been that way, just easier for the crooks now days.

I ordered a new Dell laptop yesterday. Dell has a deal for 12 month interest free financing I wanted to take advantage of. Of course, my shipping address and billing address are different, so it threw up a red flag. I had to make a couple calls, and they told me they do what they do to prevent identity thief. I thanked them for the effort they go to. I sure don't want to be paying for some crook a laptop.

I must give kudos to Capitol One bank. I experienced a similar situation; they put the money back in my account immediately, with the understanding it would be pulled out if the investigation showed the card was not compromised.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Dustytuu, That is the main reason I just use a credit card these days. Granted the same thing has happened to me with a CC, but this does not give the dirt balls access to my entire checking account and the bank resolves the issue faster with refunds and new CC. I also check my accounts on a daily basis so if it happens again, I can stop the transaction(s) while they are still pending. Also have the account set up to email me anytime the CC is charged or paid. Yes, I'm paranoid, but you have to be in today's electronic world.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a limit on how much can be withdrawen from our account with the debit card. It is a low limit and can be a pain in the butt at times but it works. If a charge comes in over the set limit the bank will notify me before they let it go. If I am going to go over the limit I call the bank and let them know. It is a PITA but these are hard times.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
They made many many debits from this bill paying account and all were for $29.95 until there was nothing left.
Thankfully this account was not a big account. So it could have been much much worse!

What made it worse, bank had one digit wrong on my phone number but they should have shut down this account but since the charges were small, although many.... they didn't do anything. Normally our bank is very safe. Have no idea when the mistake was made on my phone number. They did have it right. So also the debit card had the phone number wrong.
We check all acccounts daily. This one was OK Wednesday morning but by Thursday morning it was empty.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Happened to me just this past week! I check the debit acct. daily as well.....was fine Tuesday night, woke up Wed morning with over a $1000 purchase for tools and and additional hold from Apple.com. While trying to breathe, called the bank immediately and had to go sign a form contesting the 2 purchases. Bank immediately voided my debit card number and credited my account by the next day. Don't know how it happened but it did. Be wise and check your balances daily. Ended up checking my mother-in-laws cc account and found out that she had been getting scammed $29.95 a month for 13 months. Took care of that as well through her bank. WOW, what a week! Dino
Old 11-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sorry that happened to you, if they knew what a sweet person that you are, they would not have stolen from you
I how you two are doing well.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Sorry to hear of your problems with your debit card account, but it is fair game to thieves. When we are traveling I usually beef up our checking account to pay bills and use my debit card. I talked to my bank and they suggested that I carry a reasonable amount in my checking account and open a savings account for the additional I may need on the road. I can transfer back and forth as I need the money.

I remember reading a month or two back where hackers in Britain had a scam working where they would rob from a person's account but you couldn't see it because they had a program that showed the whole amount in the account and you wouldn't notice it until you receive your monthly statement. I hope that doesn't show up in the US.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Good practice and advice! Thanks.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We have a limit on how much can be withdrawen from our account with the debit card. It is a low limit and can be a pain in the butt at times but it works. If a charge comes in over the set limit the bank will notify me before they let it go. If I am going to go over the limit I call the bank and let them know. It is a PITA but these are hard times.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"They made many many debits from this bill paying account and all were for $29.95 until there was nothing left" ........ They were very smart and experienced thief's.
Still the banks computer should have seen this and notified you. I am calling our bank Monday morning and see if they would have detected that.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
The bank would have notified me if they had my phone number right. Phone number was right last year and don't know how it got messed up. And they didn't call Don's phone either! I am going to ask them why! They have called us before when we did transactions in different states. I am going to ask my bank tomorrow if someone called them and changed my phone number one digit. Don't think they could have done this without answering several security questions.

Thanks Ozz. We went full time 3 years ago soon as we sold our house. Took two years for it to sell.
We wish we had done this many years ago.
And yes we are doing fine. Sitting in AZ for the winter now. Weather is wonderful.
Hope you all are doing OK.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dusty....Thanks for sharing your experience. It should be a heads up for all of us. We need to check our status with our bank on a regular basis.

On Edit.....Thank you, thank you, thank you Dusty...
I went into our Bank profiles and found that they had our land line numbers on file for notifications and we no longer have the land lines but use our cell numbers..

The E mail notification were Ok.. we also see that our bank now offers a text msg alert on your cell phone so we took advantage of that..

HEads up everyone..
Old 11-08-2010, 05:24 AM   #13
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
And other thank you for this post, went by the bank today to check cell and land line numbers and the cell number was wrong. Corrected on the spot.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I've have never had a debit card, so I'm wondering why use one when somebody can wipe out your account then you are at the banks mercy. Why not use a cc and let them steal the banks money?
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I agree I have had a GM card since 1993 I have received $11,000.00 off GM cars to date using this card.

Also have a Hilton Honors card receive points for free stays.

Many of these type reward cards out their.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My debit card is a debit card and a credit card depends on how you choose to use it. The debit card is the same as the checkbook so I need not carry a checkbook. The charge on a debit card is deducted from the checking account instantly so we are only spending money we actually have. The debit card has the same bank protection the credit card has.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks Rich
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:17 AM   #18
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Quote:
quote:My debit card is a debit card and a credit card depends on how you choose to use it. The debit card is the same as the checkbook so I need not carry a checkbook. The charge on a debit card is deducted from the checking account instantly so we are only spending money we actually have. The debit card has the same bank protection the credit card has.
Yes Rich, this is the way our debit cards work.

My money is back in the bank. The bank acted quickly. Didn't cost me anything.
If they had got the number off our credit card it could have been much much worse!
Looks like they are going after the perps that did this.
They may have been buying money orders through pay pal because they used postal department, so might be a federal offense.

We check our bank and credit card balances daily. My account was OK week ago Wednesday and by 2 PM that afternoon it was empty. Left me $8 dollars in my account. But thankfully it is now over. Everything is back to normal.

I posted this to help others check their phone numbers that bank has on file.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #19
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
They hit my son-in-law and daughter 2 days ago also. Over $1000.00 from the checking. All Target stores out of state for big purschases. The bank called to verify but not soon enough. Thier bank has frozen both thier savings and checking account and they are dead broke. Tomorrow is payday for both of them but they have automatic deposits so they are not sure if the bank will release any of their funds. They are loosing a days pay to get this straightened out. Thier bank is saying it will take 2 weeks before they get thier money back in thier account which is a long time to have no access to your own money..... The bank told them that very seldom are the crooks found. They deal with Commerce Bank.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You information was very helpful Dusty and I hope it and hope it served as a heads up to others to review their card security as it did us. Note that we also have life lock..check it out.