Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Funeral? or just "I'm gone, carry on.."?

My deal is no funeral, no wake, no nothing, die, creamate, cheap cardboard container, do with it what you may.
Just added that to my last will and living will.
How about you all?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
That is exactly what I have been telling Kathy all along.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Everybody has told me all these years that I am always making an ash of myself soooo..... Why not continue...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rich, does Kathy agree? Sue and I are on the same page.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My Father-in-law always said... Just stick a bone up my A** and let the dogs carry me away... We did not do that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
I've gone to two funerals in the past 30 days, for two very good friends. Each was an incredible human being, loved by their families and community, and worth every one of the accolades received at the ceremonies.

I'd just as soon be planted without comment, being the worthless so-and-so that I've turned out to be!
radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sue and I don't like funerals, don't want to go to each other's, (won't go) it's our decision and we have talked extensively about it. I imagine those with strong religious belief's in various religions will have guidelines they will go by.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Cremate me and have a party and celebrate my life. We did that with my father-in-law and the stories that were told that day were truely a celebration. I am a better person for having him in my life and I'd just as soon remember him through all the stories that were shared on that day.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Rich, does Kathy agree? Sue and I are on the same page.
Yes she does.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
I happen to agree with you. I have often told Bob to cremate me and have a party. Just think, a big old potluck. Play my favorite music and enjoy your friends. Tell stories if you want, but just have fun celebrating my life. Nothing could be finer.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Same here for both Linda and I........get it over with and no casket and viewing. Party if you may or whatever! I just hate it when you go to a funeral and people look at the person and say " don't He or She look good". H*** no there dead!! And thats how we look at it.

Dave & Linda
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Traditional funerals can be a time of healing for the living, those left behind. No, you don't give flip, you are DOA.

But, think of those you left behind, friends and family. Many will need some closure.

I love the idea of memorials, story telling, laughing good time parties. Pot luck meals, kegs o' beer, bbq grill a smokin', whatever. Call it a wake, whatever.

But, allow the family some choice in what THEY need at that TIME.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Same as you. Sure don`t want to put my family through a funeral home layout! I think it`s barbaric. Not sure where I would want my ashes to go but since I won`t know it doesn`t matter.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We both feel the same way that you do, Ozz. We will NOT have funerals, no caskets, creamate and blow to the wind. We love while we are alive and don't need or want the formal remembrances. Our kids know and agree.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have purchased a memorial tree in a metro park in Michigan near where we used to live. We were in the park many times counting deer and talking our days through. We married when Carol was a widow with three children and I was divorced with two. These were tough times for the kids and, therefore, for Carol, who had to become a stay at home Mom again to referee the kids. We purchased the tree years ago so that we all could begin its existance with joy and happiness, and not after our deaths. This park was what helped us with our communications that is so essential for a good marriage - out and away with the birds, trees and deer. We picnicked under the tree and the kids and now the grandkids are familiar with the tree and site. We are going to be cremated and our ashes placed at the base of the tree. Then our loved ones will not have to come to a cemetery and feel sad but to a place that has had so much happiness. We agree that everyone mourns in their own way but a memorial service showcasing the life, and not a funeral wallowing in the death, is what we want.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #16
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
What Mrs. CountryGuy and boylanag said! Totally agree... I am gone so let them party and remember!

I will be having my own party!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Point Contrar! I have officiated over a multitude of funerals. As a counselor, I see value in having a funeral or a memorial service. It is, of course, not for the dead, but for those left behind. I have officiated at funerals for my grandparents, my father and step-mother, most of my uncles and aunts and for a myriad of congregants and total strangers.

Doing my dad's funeral was a way for me to show appreciation for his gift of life and his solid moral and ethical input into my life. In our family, funerals ARE a celebration of the life of the loved one just lost. It does facilitate the process of grief and helps the grieved one move on. It might be well for each of us to check the feelings of our children concerning the "die and dump" routine.

My favorite uncle was unceremoniously dumped by his kids. They didn't bother to even tell the extended family for some time. My mother-in-law chose to be cremated, a choice we honored. The extended family were effusive in there appreciation for the memorial celebration, no body, no viewing, just gathering to celebrate her contribution to our lives.

Funerals or memorial services don't have to be expensive or ostentatious. They can be simple and dignified. Consider letting those you have influenced say goodbye.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
To each his or her own, I am a big boy and have made my decision, for my reasons, I respect everyone and their feelings and do not try to push mine off on them.
This is interesting, and we can see everyone has their ideas on the subject, this is what makes our country so great. Individualism.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #19
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Both Maureen & I prefer to grieve in private not in front of a large gathering. For that reason we will both be cremated and the surviving partner along with our two daughters will place the ashes in our family plot just at the edge of the family farm where we currently reside. Perhaps a wine and cheese party for the survivors should follow.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:32 AM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm looking at it from a scientific point of view. Medical technology has evolved considerably since the first on earth died. So, what if they found a core for death? I would think that with ashes, they coud do nothing. But, a cold body, now that is different. Where i have been told to go,(and often) and most likely will be going, I'll be turned to ashes and have horns like Ozz!

Kidding aside, I really don't care what those who pretend to like me do with me after I die. I think it would be amusing to see a bunch of people gathered around getting the last laugh!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote