Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2006, 02:11 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Filtered 12 Volt power?

Hi Guys,
I am reading up on my upcoming install of my Stationary sat. dome system.
I would like to ask about the Filtered 12 volt supply.
What is filtered, and how do I filter it?
I know it needs a 'clean' supply, but what is dirty and what is clean?
Thanks,
Jim

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Filtered means without any deviation from a pure 12 volt DC. No surges, no interference. Filters are electronic devices that absorb voltage variations. Direct connection to a dedicated battery would provide such a source, but of course eventually the battery would be depleted. Battery chargers, on the other hand are usually "unfilterd" they provide 12 volts (or more likely something close to 14 volts) but it is "transformed" from 120 volt AC and still has some of the frequency variations of the original AC source.

For practical purposes, the trailer's battery will absorb and overcome the charger's "noise", so a dedicated suppy from the trailer's battery should be OK, but if you were to use a simple transformer as a power source, it would be a problem because it would be "unfiltered". The little plug-in cube transformers that are often used as "battery replacers" to power small electronic devices are also "filtered" sources and you could probably use one of those if you can find one with right voltage and current rating.

All of that is a long-winded way of saying, "use a dedicated connection directly to the battery though a fuse". (You might be OK going through the existing fuse panel, but that is directly connected to the converter and might have some noise introduced from there, as well as from other 12volt devices that may be running).

Edited after further thought: A dedicated source may be the ideal, but it will not be all that easy to do. I think I would at least try tapping into the existing 12 volt lighting first to at least see if that works. Make sure the wire size will support the load though.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:41 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John,
Thanks for the informative post. I will run a wire directly to the battery supply, I can tap into the lead from the battery back to the fuse panel and converter. I'll fuse it there, as I tap into the 12 volt supply.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote