Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
powerstroke73
Established Member

M.O.C. #4515
front landing gear

Ive been reading on the site for a bit but this is my first post. I messed up awhile back while hooking up my 5th wheel and bent one of my landing legs. Has anyone ever changed one out and how hard is it?

powerstroke73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Welcome to the forum Powerstroke73! NO ONE here has EVER bent their landing legs... You're the first! Just kidding... should be MANY along shortly to help. Again, welcome... you'll like the info you get here.
Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:25 AM   #3
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
Welcome to the forum. I've gotton LOTS of usefull info from other Monty owners. I can't help you with the bent landing gear, as that is about the only thing I haven't bent, dinged, squashed, etc. on my rig.
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:22 AM   #4
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
First question is which part did you bend? The extension with all the holes is the usual one and it is pretty easy to change, depending on how bad it is bent. May have to run the truck up on some blocks to get enough height, but, with the landing gear fully retracted you should be able to drop the extension out the bottom. I would guess most RV dealerships have spare landing gear extensions.

Now if it is the main gear leg, that is a little more complicated and expensive. The expert (MIMF) from Lippert is at the Reno Rally right now but will be able to help you as soon. Dale is a great guy and always willing to help solve problems with the gear and slide mechanisms.

You can do a topic search on "Dumb Me" here on MOC and find some information also.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:17 AM   #5
powerstroke73
Established Member

M.O.C. #4515
I was smart enough to bend both of them :-) Ive got the one with all the holes wedged as far as I can get it in the other sleve( i picked the whole trailer up with the one leg) So im thinking that Ill have to replace both of them.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:47 AM   #6
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi We bent the ditch side in Del Rio last winter. It un bolts and comes right out thru the propane door. Bent the part with the holes but they all seem to have different size threads in them. Couldn't find the right new one in the time we were going to be in the area so had to use an used one that was available. The big problem was that the screw part had a weld spot on it so it would not screw out past the end. I had to cut the old one off with my sawsall and rethread on the used one. I had plans on replacing the whole thing when I got home but it works just fine so we will use it until it causes problems. In general it's not a major problem to replace especially if you buy a new one and don't have to rebuild the old like I did. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:51 AM   #7
Montana_4762

M.O.C. #4762
Does anyone know if there is a reset to the electric motor on the landing gear? I have checked the fuse box inside my 2004 2980rl but can't find it. If there is another reset or fuse box for accessories please let me know. E-mail fordcamping@yahoo.ca Yes canadian thats .ca
Montana_4762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
A Carter,
Yes there is an inline fuse between the motor and the battery, mine is a white plastic with a 30 amp. fuse.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:29 PM   #9
powerstroke73
Established Member

M.O.C. #4515
thanks for the welcome. It wont be in the next week or so before I can get it fixed. We are leaving on sat morning for about 8 days.I cant wait.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:24 AM   #10
Montana_3845
Established Member

M.O.C. #3845

I just got finished correcting the very same problrm you posted.
I bent the tube that moves up and down. It was a long bend which
prevented me sliding the tube with holes all the way up, only halfway.
A check was made with a carpenters square and I could see the bow in the tube.
I put the inside tube back in, tapped it up with a hammer until it was in a bind, heated the outside tube at the point of the bend very
carefully and hit it with a dead blow hammer. Checking after each blow
to see if it was working, it was, After the last blow the tube fell out and it worked just fine.
Do not overheat the tube as it could weaken it, heat it only on the high side of the bend and remember it is galvinized and toxic under heat, also remember to brace the trailer to insure it cannot fall as it will be very high when the inside tube is released.

If the tube is not creased this would work for you.

GENEO
Montana_3845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:24 AM   #11
powerstroke73
Established Member

M.O.C. #4515
Ill try that dont know if I can get to most of the bend tough. It was out so far and I was trying to get up as high as I could. Still only about 13 or so inches from the ground. I wedged it up in there as far as I could (picked up the whole trailer with just the one leg) But ill give it a try when I get home. Worst come to worst was gonna buy new leg anyways.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by powerstroke73

Ive been reading on the site for a bit but this is my first post. I messed up awhile back while hooking up my 5th wheel and bent one of my landing legs. Has anyone ever changed one out and how hard is it?
Powerstroke73, I have done the same thing to mine as you and I contacted MIFI he is the person for Lippert Co. they make the legs I can give you all the info over the phone because it takes to long for me to type all this stuff I'll send you a PM and give you my number OK. they are easy to change NO SWEAT.