Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2005, 04:54 PM   #1
Diamond
Established Member

M.O.C. #715
Big Sky Rim Failure

We have a 3295RK 2004 Big Sky and have put about 20,000 miles on our rig. We have had it weighed twice and we are well within the weight limit. We just had our third rim failure with the aluminum alloy rims. The rim manufacturer has replaced each one at no charge, but we are wondering if anyone else has had this problem???

Thanks,
Jack & Ruth Diamond

Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Diamond,
There are a few posts here on the MOC that talk about this issue. You might try checking the search function.

We have a 2002 model 3295RK with the aluminum wheels. We have 30+ K on them and so far so good. I keep hearing of these failures and so watch mine very closely. I really like the way the wheels look and don't want to go to the steel ones.

Good luck with your situation.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:17 AM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We had a 2004 3295RK Big Sky before the Cambridge. We had about 12000 miles and two rim failures prior to the trade. The first happened just after I towed over a curb turning into a wal-mart. So that was understandable. It took almost 6 weeks to finally get the right replacement mounted. The very next day, a rim on the other side of the trailer failed. It was in the spare slot when we traded.

Both failures were tiny holes near the area where the radial spokes meet th outer part of the rim. The result was a slow leak.

The new Cambridge also has aluminum rims but of a substantially different design (holes instead of spokes). There was a recall of tires and rims on the cambridge just before we got ours. I'm not sure what the problem was but you can believe I check the tire pressure a lot.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We met a couple in Denali with a Big Sky 3295 that had the same problem. Maybe that was you? Glad you see you on the forum.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote