Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
djdecock
Established Member

M.O.C. #3220
Day Night Shade ?

We are having trouble with our day/night shades. Our fifth wheel is brand new and we've only used it 6 days. When we pulled the shades down, we have had two of them slip and go crooked on us. The big one in the rear-living room window was the first one, and it even slid out of the top bracket, but we were able to get it back in with a small tear. The second one was by the dining table. They seem very hard to pull down--is there a way to loosen the tension on them? We had day/night shades on our Alpenlite and never had a problem as they were easy to pull down. We were parked next to a Montana, while at Medora, ND who were from back east and every one of their shades was crooked! Hopefully, there is a better way before we ruin them! We'd appreciate any helpful information.

Dick and Joan
Forsyth, MT
2005 Montana 3475 RL
2005 Ford F350 Dually Extended Cab 4x4

djdecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:42 AM   #2
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
One thing that the dealer told us was to put the white shade down first and then the dark one. And put them up the same way. I know that ours were very tight to. But as we used them they loosened up. We had alot of problems with the rear-living shade. We have an appt. to take it in to have it changed out. The last trip we took, it slid out of the frame and ripped. Those little plastic endcaps that are on each end of the shade keep coming off. There is a post on this problem. Alot of people take some glue and glue it back on. Then there are some that take a tiny screw and screw it to the shade itself. But if you are having that much trouble I would take it back to the dealer and have them deal with it. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:32 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I think it was Vicki R that told us, that if you sorta "roll" the shades up and down that helps. Pull them slightly away from the wall, hold the metal bar for the white or dark section you are moving and roll that metal section slightly down, THEN pull or PUSH the section up.

Not sure this is clear, maybe someone can come along and state it better.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:20 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The time is drawing near for us to buy the new Montana.We have noted the blind issue, the cabinet doors falling off issue, the water tank issue, the slide leak issue and many other issues. They are noted and we will deal with them in our own way when the time comes..How about the "bed issue" we have had 5 campers and had to replace the mattress with a decent one in all of them they all felt like they were stuffed with straw.So how did Montana do in the mattress department???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:14 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
richfaa
Montana did just about what all RV makers do as far as mattress. Not great. We had just purchased a new mattress for our previous unit so switched. I have a bad back and MUST have a good mattress. The mattress in the Monty now is better than the one in our stick house and we are talking about bringing in the mattress from the Monty and buying a new shorter one for the Monty. Ours is queen and needs to be about 2 inches shorter to pull the slide in without resting the mattress on the dresser. The only RV's we found with good mattresses are the really high end units that cost about $20,000 more than the Monty. You can buy a mattress for a lot less than that!
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Dick and Joan we have had the same problem with our blinds also. We "Pull them slightly away from the wall, hold the metal bar for the white or dark section you are moving and roll that metal section slightly down, THEN pull or PUSH the section up." But we have still had problems..we are waiting on the dinette table shade now. I felt we always have been very careful with ours also. In the Cardinal that we had we never had this problem with the day night shades either
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We also have the 2955 and it is the dinette shade which is a continuing problem. The table is too close for the shade to work correctly. One half inch separation would have solved the problem, but as it is we have to 'work' the shades carefully around the table top. Just poor design.

As for the other shades, we just have to be careful of the way we raise and lower them. But, so far, none of them has completely failed, though I have had to do some on the spot repair. This after three and a half years and over 35000 miles.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Your shades can be retensioned at the bottom if they are too tight to slide. We've bumped the little plastic buttons and cracked several of them and had to retie the string and retension it. I bought some clear thread bobbins to have on hand as replacements for when I completely destroy the buttons. As to the mattress question, we replaced the original with a good Englander queen mattress from our other trailer when we traded it in. We had to have it cut down to a short queen and it works great and is very comfortable.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I thought as much on the mattress issue.We have a sealy posturepedic (queen size) in our Terry TT. Helen said we had better take it out of the TT for the new Montana because she has "tested" the mattresses on the Montanas we have looked at and says they are "like all of them" cheapies...On the blind thing..we have a similar set up on the TT Night shade behind the regular shade and have the same problem..it is just a camper thing..I did take some tension out of the blind and that seemed to help..did not have to pull as hard...
Old 08-07-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Firstly regarding the shades. We have two on order which are going to be replaced for us under warranty. One parts where the night and day part is joined. The other one in our bedroom came down one sided and tore. The mattress is not good so we had a local Company make the short Queen for us, not cheap but definitely worth the money and you can switch it to another RV if you want.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:39 PM   #11
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
The Montana mattress is nothing special. We just bought a Simmons pillow top on sale for around $250 and it fit perfectly without modifying anything. Best investment so far in improving the Montana. Of course the bed is about 8" higher than before but it looks great and sleeps better than it looks.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:13 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also replaced our mattress but bought it at a dedicated mattress store. They cut it to our sizing at no additional cost. So it might be worthwhile to check with a dedicated mattress store. I forgot the brand name now but it is a good quality known name brand.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had 5 campers 5 different brands and the mattresses have all been junk, had to replace all of them.I doubt that keystone will do it but will never know if we don't ask.Don't want the junk mattress. knock 12.95 off the price and we will buy our own????
Old 08-09-2005, 02:03 AM   #14
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
After taking delivery of Miss Montana the factory installed mattress was gone in a day and replaced with a real pillow top. Sweet dreams!

After spending way too much time on Me vs the Day Night Shades, they have been forever banished from Miss Montana. I tried all the tips and tricks to no avail. I now have mini blinds all around. Not only do I like the look better, and the control I have over sunlight, I especially like the free time I have now since I don't have to go through the "process" day and night. What a pain they were.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:56 AM   #15
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
re: night /day shades,

On our first trip in our Monty (used), I didn't understand the shades function. The first night, we were running around the trailer in the nude, and thinking we were unobservable, or at least just forms.

The next day, our neighbours were either circumspect or sort of wink-wink; nudge-nudge with us, and I didn't quite get it, until that evening, I was walking back from the Park store, and had a perfect view of our lit up fiver with my wife working in the kitchen.

We now understand the day-night function, and plan to avoid that park in the future (no fault of theirs).

PS. Our blinds work fine (older is better???)

Jack and Penny

Montana_2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:10 PM   #16
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL A SHOW!
And did you offer popcorn with the show LOL
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:11 PM   #17
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Uh, oh I hit the submit twice.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #18
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
We had the same problem when we first got our Montana, first we found that the little end caps were off and on the floor under the couch. After reinstalling them we found that, as others have said, first pull the white shade down pulling it out from the wall and down trying to keep it level, then go for the dark shade in the same manner. The one that gives us the most trouble is the one in the eating area. Took it to the dealer when we first discovered the problem and discovered that talking to them was a waste of time so we figured it out for ourselves, actually my wife figured it out, she figures everything out I just work and drive the truck. But I sure do love her.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Jack and Penny
Thanks for suppling my laugh of the evening.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #20
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Had the same problem when our Monty was new this February (2005, 2980RL) with white end caps falling off and the shade slipping through the open end. We read another post about screws and put the shade back together and installed some small screws into the plastic end cap and they work fine now. We also took the screws out of the base of the table so we could move it and access the shade easier.

I loosened the shade from the top and it went right back in with out tearing. That is after I put a big rip in the first one.

As far as the mattress goes, my wife really likes the one in our Monty as she sleeps better camping than at home.

Happy trailers to you,
Dick and Jackie Driver

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote