Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Reworked 12 v lights -

We have wanted to do this for a couple of years and I finally got to it and got it done. "2006 3400RL."

1. Installed a 12v led strip light in the "suicide" step well inside the door and installed a switch on the common switch panel in the hall/stairway

2. Separated the chandelier inside the door from the kitchen lights and installed a switch on the common switch panel in the hall/stairway

3. Installed a light outside above the outside steps to light the steps at night and installed a switch on the common switch panel in the hall/stairway

4. Separated the light at the top of the stairs from the light in the loo and connected it to the lights over the bed. Existing switch on the wall now controls all of the lights in the bath/bedroom area. (Would like to separate the light at the top of the stairs and put it on a separate switch, but have not yet figured out how to get down the wall between the loo and sink.

5. Oh, and I added a light inside the closet.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
bw2,,When you are in FL I will bring my rig up to you and you can rewire mine ,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

How difficult was it to install the lighting near the steps?
If you have any photos I would love to see just how you did it.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Nicely done! You'll enjoy those improvements. We like to keep the kitchen light on but the entry light off.

To label your switches, try using clear return address labels. That is what we did.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Bill, I will take a picture and post soon.

I was able to run the wire behind the carpet in the well area, I took the trim strip off, drilled a hole through the closet trim next to the outside wall, behind the floor trim, and that put the wire into the closet. Then I ran the wire to the ceiling and it is ran behind the trim strip to the back of the closet. I was able to push the wire between the trim and the wall, I did not have to remove the trim. From the back of the closet it is ran to the floor and then up along the wall (not inside the wall, you can see the wire at this point), I ran the wire behind the water/drain center into the wall behind the switch panel. (I hope this makes sense, ask if more clarification is needed.

Michael, good idea for labels, I was trying to decide on what to use.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Michael

I was able to fish the wire from the chandelier over to the Fantasic Fan opening in the kitchen. From there I was able to fish the wire to the Fantastic Fan opening at the top of the stairs, then from there into the loo area and then into the space behind the fuse panels. That allowed me to then run the wire into the wall behind the switch panel. I did not have to pull any trim strips etc... A little more wire and effort maybe, but I am not real good with wood activities. It is really nice to have the ability to use the lights separately! Seeing yours done gave more motivation to get mine completed!!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Due to PC problems, I have very limited access, I still hope to add a pic or two upon the return of the PC from the Manufacturer.