Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Additional hand rail

On our way home I fell while going up the stairs to the bedroom, bad enough where I was hospitalized for 3 days. I have a balance problem and have fallen going up and down the stairs.

We want to add a rail or a hand hold to help but do not want to put anything on the walls going along side the stairs. The reason being, that I need all the room possible in case I need to be transported from the bedroom down. The chair the para medics used just fit going down from the bedroom.

We are looking at using a wooden handle similar to what is next to the entry door on the inside. It would be mounted on the wall next to the pantry as you go up the stairs because that seems to be solid. At the top of the stairs, just past the pocket door is another area that is sold enough for a handle. I will check with my dealer for handles matching what we already have,

Has anyone added any additional handles? If so where?

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I had a freind make a wooden hand rail and stained to match mounted on the left side of stairs on our 2955.
Was able to mount with long screws into a solid area.
The only negative is we can not close the pocket door all the way not a problem for us.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I added one of these next to my disabled daughter's shower in her stick house

http://www.jcwhitney.com/door-panel-.../p2003286.jcwx

I found a pretty all metal one from a van conversion place (I think they are a thing of the past, though) and put it inside the front door of the Montana (opposite the outside grab handle). She says they both work well, especially the first one at home. I imagine you could find them at your local auto supply, also.

On edit: This is similar to my metal one (found this on google images) http://www.giantrvlarry.addr.com/fea...erior-hndl.jpg

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We just came back from the dealer and found a double length wooden handle that will fit at the bottom along side the pantry. This way my shorter wife and I will have access to the handle at different heights. They are also contacting Montana to order a couple of options for the top of the stairs.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We got a handle from Keystone that is just like the one at the front door. It is mounted on the side of the pantry (left of stairs). I can hold it going up or down. It is high enough that a chair would still fit through. It has been there for five years with no problem. I have one leg that has very weak muscles so I needed something I can help pull myself up the stairs. This works great.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Thanks Sue & Ed

The wooden handle we found at the dealer is almost double the length of the one by the door. He is going to order two more like the original to see which works the best.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I found a matching handle at RV Salvage in Elkhart, IN. Cost was only $4.00 and they had a box of them. I installed the handle on the right side of the stair to the bedroom, as you enter the bedroom. The reason for this is because I found two wooden wall studs that I could anchor the handle to. The pantry side of the stairs did not provide a secure base, at least in my opinion. Just make sure you anchor into the solid wood stud and not plumbing or electrical. Amazing how much we use the handle just for balance.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We put 2 of them om our stairs.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2 with Phil only ours are screwed to the edge of the cabinets so the full width of the isle is still available.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote