Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Credit Card Scam....

Received a call this noon from American Express Fraud division, asking if my DH had purchased airline tickets to Romania and Nigeria yesterday on the internet. The answer of course was no.....then she asked about recent transactions to verify what was real.....seems there was another transaction at an online store in PA as well. My DH is secondary on my account with his own number and that was the number that was compromised...they are overnighting a temp replacement card here at our campground and will send the actual replacement card to our mailing address for forwarding. This is second time in 24 years that I have been impressed with the fraud operation of AmEX......they know their business.......these transactions both took place yesterday.

The last time was about 20 yrs ago when someone used my card for $24000 of purchases.....I was not liable for any of that one either.

They really do monitor transacations and catch the uncharacteristic and high dollar transactions that are unusual to your normal use.
Worth the annual fee in my opinion.

Thanks for listening.....and just remember the Nigeria/Romania scam is alive and well!

Betty

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We purchased a television about a year ago and the next day or two, someone called me to verify that we indeed did make such a purchase. Those kind of phone calls don’t bother me at all.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I only had fraudulent charges against a credit card once. It was enough to infuriate me. You just can't be too careful.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin

Received a call this noon from American Express Fraud division, asking if my DH had purchased airline tickets to Romania and Nigeria yesterday on the internet. The answer of course was no.....then she asked about recent transactions to verify what was real.....seems there was another transaction at an online store in PA as well. My DH is secondary on my account with his own number and that was the number that was compromised...they are overnighting a temp replacement card here at our campground and will send the actual replacement card to our mailing address for forwarding. This is second time in 24 years that I have been impressed with the fraud operation of AmEX......they know their business.......these transactions both took place yesterday.

The last time was about 20 yrs ago when someone used my card for $24000 of purchases.....I was not liable for any of that one either.

They really do monitor transacations and catch the uncharacteristic and high dollar transactions that are unusual to your normal use.
Worth the annual fee in my opinion.

Thanks for listening.....and just remember the Nigeria/Romania scam is alive and well!

Betty

As I have posted here before, Camilla was the victim of ID theft a couple of years ago and even though in the end we were able to get the bad debt off her credit report, it took a lot of effort and frustration...if we were you, we would keep a close eye on your credit report to make sure nothing else is out there waiting to bite you. Best wishes. Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 AM   #5
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Betty, We too got a call from our CC Co. yesterday! A couple of small charges that "didn't seem right." Not ours. New cards in the mail. They do a great job monitoring transactions. Best wishes.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #6
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Almost makes you wanna go back to good ole cash.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote