Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
High Winds and hot times(with pic)

I just got a call from my Realtor and he informed me that the largest white pin on out property (100+ ft) Took a header in out side yard yesterday. We were extremely lucky as it straddled the area between the driveway and the trout stream. It barely missed the power pole at the end of its fall. Very high winds in far northern Wisconsin caused other problems in Land O Lakes. Two houses next to each other were victims of a falling tree that hit the power lines very close to house one. The resulting arcing and surge lit house 2 aflame. The FD was there an hour getting that under control and were just wrapping up when one of the firefighters noticed smoke coming from the roof vent of house 1. The resulting fire severely damaged house 1. Having been able to visit both houses on several occasions and knowing the owners I feel sick at the situation. Evidently the surge from the powerline strike resulted in a smoldering tv in house 1 in the up stairs loft. It didn't become apparent until it got going enough to vent smoke outside. Also of no great help were the 60mph winds during all of this excitement...Link to tree picture. We park the rig just to the left of the tree...

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I sure can verify the high winds here in the Midwest! Went out to the farm today and as I opened the stormdoor to go into the house a gust of wind pulled it out of my hands, pulled the closer out of the frame and put a nasty little dent in the steel siding on the house from the handle hitting it, not to speak of what the swinging door did to the frame itself. Going to have to pull the door off and try and repair the frame before trying to spring the door frame back into position too. If I can't get it to work, I guess I'll have to purchase a new storm door and hopefully not a new frame to go with it!
My experience was nothing compared to that up in Land O Lakes but the winds were a whole lot stronger than I've ever experienced except for the tornado I went through here in Omaha back in '75 and the straightline winds we experienced at the Central Plains Rally last July!
I feel sorry for those that lost their homes to the fires but glad yours is OK, Dave! This is not the time of year to actually start to try and figure out what to do on building a new home especially up there in northern Wisconsin! One advantage though Dave, you won't need to go out and cut firewood for a while!
Hope all is going OK for you, Betsy and Beau! Take care and keep us informed on the homeplace and your travels!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Unfortunately we don't have a wood burner in this house. If we did I would be in better shape. As it is I asked the realtor to shoot some pics of the tree and how it is laying and email them to me. I will post them if they show what I think they show...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
As I was reading you post, the wind was shaking my rig. Heavy winds have plagued us for about three days. As I write this, the wind is rising again to give us another shaking. Luckily the winds seem to come from the rear of the rig instead of broadside.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote