Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Brake controller for disk brakes

Dave, my neighbor, just bought a SOB with hydraulic/electric disk brakes. He says that they told him the intregrated brake controlers in the new trucks work fine with this setup except for Ford's. They told Dave that the Ford's have a built in delay that causes problems with disk brake system. Anybody have any insight into this issue. He is planing on buying a new truck and had been leaning toward a Ford so now he wonders. HELP please. Thanks so much

iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
your friend can run a Prodigy controler or a P3 maybe instead of buying a new truck, or is it he wants a new truck?
I meet a guy that ran a survo that controled his disks trailer brakes.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have Kodiak disc brakes on my Montana and the Chevy IBC would not work because of a voltage (milli volts) problem. I bought a Prodigy and it works fine. Too bad they don't work with the built-ins.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:11 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I may be wrong but I think there is a fix for Ford. When we ordered our SOB brand I had them install a device that made the Disk Brakes work on the with GM Truck IBC. But never got to see if it worked, we went to the Frieghtliner and we are using a Prodigy. Don't know what Disk Brake system you have but if its a Kodiak system the Prodigy will work fine. If I were to buy another brake controler it would be a Tenkosha P-3, it can be switched from electric to disk brake system. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

your friend can run a Prodigy controler or a P3 maybe instead of buying a new truck, or is it he wants a new truck?
I meet a guy that ran a survo that controled his disks trailer brakes.
What is a "survo"?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Thanks for the comments. He wants a new truck with a built in controler that works if possible. Hope to hear from more of you or information you have. I know not many Montanas have been equiped with disk brakes. I am not on any other boards.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
The P3 has a specific mode for hydraulic brakes. I called Tekonsha and asked a "tech" what was the difference from a Prodigy and he said there was a difference in the electronics. He was not anymore specific. I had Prodigy but put in a P3 because we have the electric over hydraulic disc brakes on our SOB. The P3 works well and we have had no issues with it. Servo is a slang term for servomechanism or servomotor. Probably referring to a servomotor. An example would be something like an RC controlled servo that moves the rudder in an RC boat. Best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
bigmerf, kds mony explains it perfactly.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I know what a "servo" is. I asked what a "survo" was.

bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

I know what a "servo" is. I asked what a "survo" was.

Same darn thing!!! dont U Spanglish? must I hold your hand and explane everything to U? 1+1 = 1 pair. and not the eating type.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:07 AM   #11
ctomwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9744
I insalled disk brakes on my 2008 3400rl and add MaxBrake controller.
I towed about 2000 miles since instaltion woors great.
ctomwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #12
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Right now I have CRS, but you are right there is a situation with Ford that causes the disc brakes not to work with the IBC. I have read where there is a fix. There is something that needs to be changed (some small part) and then the IBC will work just fine. I will do some checking today to see if I can't find it for all of you.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Ok, after some reading this is what I found. The problem is in the actuator on the trailer and not the IBC of Ford. Most trailers are using a carlisle actuator and that is not compatible with Ford. However one person talked to Carlisle and they said if the serial # is 506100 and higher than it should work fine. Key word "SHOULD". Dexter acuators do work with Ford according to people who have them and said nothing extra has to be done and they have had no problems. One person did say he added a HBA-CAM control module to his Carlisle system and it eliminated the disconnect alarms and the brakes worked fine (FWIW). Another thing is to check the pin marked "+" in the recpticle of the trucks trailer connector and make sure you have live 12 volts. On some Fords they weren't hooked up. Ok after all that if you want to add another controller to operate the brakes the Tekonsha P3 is the one everyone I have read about is using. The only thing is Ford has to reprogram the computer not to use the IBC.

P.S. And all this is because Ford wouldn't let Tekonsha put thier name on the controller (IBC). So Ford is using I believe Prodigy. Thus NO elect/hyd brakes. Elect only.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote