Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2006, 10:56 AM   #21
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Steve,

I've read so much about the Mission tires and the aluminum wheels I was terrified what I would find today when I went to pick up my trailer. The tires had not lost any noticeable amount of air since last fall. My old trailer with steel wheels would always lose a significant amount of air over the winter so I don't know if I just got lucky or what, but so far so good for me, with both Missions and the aluminum wheels.

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:35 PM   #22
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
I picked my 2980 up on the 13th of Jan. in a snowstorm. I have the Mission Tires on mine. It sat untill feb 24th when we left for Southern Tex. Corpus Christi and Galveston. I checked the tires before I left and they were all right on 80lbs. I also checked them several times since and I have not added any air to the tires at all. I have had no trouble with the tires and do not see any reason that I will in the future. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:01 AM   #23
Montana_3768
Established Member

M.O.C. #3768
Wrenchtraveler indicated that the LT tires appeared to be stronger in the sidewall and bead than the Mission tires. But it seems I read somewhere else that LT tires, like on my truck, are NOT good choices for the trailer. Can anyone enlighten me to the reason to NOT use a 10 ply LT truck tire on the trailer? Pulling a Montana 3400 RL. Thanks.
Montana_3768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:06 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Banjo Dave, I've read the difference between ST and LT tires but don't really recall the difference. I know Montana in some years came with ST. In other years they had LT tires. Same for other brands including non-Keystone. So I am not convinced it's really a big deal. I think the ST has some inhibitors to make them last longer without weather checking. If you expect the tires to go six or seven years without wearing out the tread then maybe ST is the better choice. For us fulltimers who are traveling and likely will wear out the tread before the tires weather check, then it probably doesn't make much difference, ST or LT.

I just replaced all five of ours with LT tires, not because I prefer LT over ST but because the tire I wanted doesn't come in ST and I don't think in our situation it really matters. I could be wrong but I haven't yet seen anything to convince me it matters all that much.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:17 AM   #25
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Banjo Dave

Wrenchtraveler indicated that the LT tires appeared to be stronger in the sidewall and bead than the Mission tires. But it seems I read somewhere else that LT tires, like on my truck, are NOT good choices for the trailer. Can anyone enlighten me to the reason to NOT use a 10 ply LT truck tire on the trailer? Pulling a Montana 3400 RL. Thanks.
"Googled" this information about LT vs ST Tires:

WHY SPECIAL TRAILER 'ST' TIRES?

These 'Special Trailer' (ST) tires have been constructed for better high speed durability and bruise resistance under heavy loads. Trailer tire construction varies substantially from automotive tires, therefore it is essential to choose the correct tire for your towing application. In general, trailer tires have the same load range (or ply) from bead to bead and are bias ply construction. This allows for a stiffer side wall which provides safer towing by helping to reduce trailer sway problems. The use of 'Passenger Car' (P) or 'Light Truck (LT) tires a on a trailer is not recommended because their construction, usually radial or bias belted, allows for more flexible side walls. This could lead to increased trailer sway and loss of control.

Of course this was from a WebSite (Trailer Tires) selling ST Tires, so I guess you have take it with a grain of salt...

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #26
Montana_3768
Established Member

M.O.C. #3768
I just drove over to the storage lot to check on the brand of tires. They are Tacoma tires, 235-85R/16s. I keep them covered with tire covers and pull up on old bridge timbers to keep them off of the gravel. I usually wipe them down after each trip with Armorall and keep them air'd up to 80 pounds. Since they still look pretty good and I've only got a little of 2,000 miles on them, I suppose I'll just watch them real close and if it looks like they are starting to have any problems I'll switch over to a Michlin or B.F. Goodrich tire. I might also look at Bridgestone if the make trailer tires, I've really good luck with Bridgestone tires on my truch and cars in the past.
Thanks for all the information. I just wish I had more time to spend on this web site getting "well read" before retirement in 5 years!
Montana_3768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:12 AM   #27
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104

Is the ST and LT article current? My ST tires say radial on them not bias ply. Thank you for the article.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #28
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
The '03 2955RL we just sold had Tacoma tires on it. They started out with 15/32 tread depth and had about 8/32 when we sold it. They also had about 50,000 miles on them. We never had a flat or any problems at all. I didn't have them balanced but did rotate every 15-20,000 miles. The '06 3000RK we just got has Mission tires on it. They will get balanced, but they will also get checked and rotated as needed.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #29
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I have never heard of a specific tire rotation on the Montana? Is this a defined procedure by Keystone or Dexter?

Thanks
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:30 PM   #30
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HomeOnTheRoad

Is the ST and LT article current? My ST tires say radial on them not bias ply. Thank you for the article.
Upon some futher research I came upon these words of wisdom:

The "ST" Sign

Look at the sidewalls of the tires on your car or truck, and you'll likely notice a "P" or "LT" designation. P stands for "passenger" while LT indicates "light truck," meaning they are designed for those specific types of automobiles. A look at your trailer tire sidewall, on the other hand, will likely reveal a "ST" designation, which stands for "special trailer."

ST tires are made specifically for use on trailers and differ considerably from automotive tires. Therefore, tire manufacturers—at least those that bother to make ST tires—strongly discourage the use of anything but ST tires on trailers. About the only exception is when an ST tire is not available for a particular extra-heavy application, such as single-axle trailers with an unusually large load that surpasses the capacity of an ST tire. In those cases a commercial grade truck tire is usually best.

While the tire industry has established this standard for trailer tires—the ST—trailer manufacturers are not required to use them. As long as the tire meets the trailer's load and speed requirements, it is allowable by law. However, the majority of trailer manufacturers do use STs because of the tire's inherent trailering benefits.

Benefits

One of the benefits of an ST tire when it comes to trailering is that it has about 10 percent more load capacity than an equivalent LT tire and nearly 40 percent more than a P tire when each is filled to its maximum psi rating.

Furthermore, the ST's mold shape is designed to accommodate trailer wheels, which are typically narrower than P and LT wheels. Being narrow is an advantage on trailer tires, but a disadvantage on wheels that steer and wheels that are attached to the drive axle. Steering and/or driving tires benefit from a larger footprint, which provides the extra traction and performance demanded of them. A free-rolling trailer tire, on the other hand, isn't called on to turn, swerve and grab the pavement like a steer or drive tire. Since it doesn't need such a large footprint, it performs its task better by being narrower.

For the same reasons, ST tires don't have as deep of a non-skid tread as P and LT tires. A deep non-skid is necessary for driving and steering tires in wet environments because it provides them with better traction.

Again, since a trailer tire is simply free rolling, it doesn't need the same degree of traction on wet pavement and, in fact, it would be detrimental to its performance. Having a shallower tread depth provides the ST tire with two benefits: (1) it doesn't wiggle as much, which can help reduce sway, and (2) it rides cooler, which adds to its longevity.

Generally, the ST tire also has somewhat stiffer sidewalls, especially in its lower section. This reduces sidewall flexing, helping it to track straighter and diminish the risk of trailer sway. The stiffer sides also lessen the risk of sidewall blowout.

Years ago, nearly all ST tires were bias-ply tires, which have crisscrossing cords of polyester or nylon, with the same number of ply on the sides as there are on the tread. Occasionally bias-belted tires were used. These are the same as bias ply, but with added belts, or layers, under the tread.

Bias or Radial?

Since then, however, radial tires have swept the tire industry. Radials feature plies that run perpendicularly across the tire, with belts (some of which can be steel) running under the tread. Today, many ST tires are radials. Is bias better than radial, or visa versa? Actually, each has its pros and cons. In making a decision, it is good to talk to the tire manufacturer about your particular application. Generally speaking, a bias tire has the advantage when it comes to load and high-speed performance. A radial, however, is better when it comes to tread wear. On average a bias tire's tread will last approximately 12,000 miles, whereas a radial typically lasts 40,000 miles. There are exceptions, of course, but this is an average comparison.

Under-Inflation

Regardless of whether you choose radial or bias, it is crucial that you provide regular tire maintenance. The most common cause of tire problems is under-inflation. It is estimated that a trailer tire that is 20 percent under-inflated will cut 25 percent off its lifespan; one 30 percent under-inflated will reduce its term by 55 percent. Under-inflated tires also affect fuel efficiency by as much as 10 percent due to added drag.

More important, under-inflation puts undue stress on the tire, producing irregular wear at best. At worst, under-inflation causes complete failure that can result in an accident. Abnormal tire flexing occurs when a tire doesn't have enough air, which can generate an excessive amount of heat internally. Too much heat will exceed the tire's capabilities and cause the tire plies to separate or result in a blowout.

Merely looking at a tire won't always tell you if it is under-inflated. In fact, some tires can lose up to half of their pressure before it is noticeable from appearance alone. (But you still should check for cracks or other signs of wear.) And with each pound of pressure loss, there is a corresponding loss of load-carrying ability. Therefore, you should check the tire's pressure regularly with a good quality gauge. And for accuracy, always check the pressure when the tire is cold. Driving only a few miles will heat the tire and increase the pressure reading.

Overload

Another major cause of tire failure is overloading. That is why it is important to know the actual load being towed. That includes the boat, trailer and any gear, including the boat fuel in the boat. An overloaded tire will produce an inordinate amount of heat, which, as mentioned above, can cause tire degradation or blowout.

A good way to ensure you don't run your trailer tires either under-inflated or overloaded is to install a quality tire monitoring system. Many such systems monitor tire pressure only. A few, however, also monitor heat, which can rise to dangerous levels in a properly inflated tire that is overloaded.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #31
Montana_5626

M.O.C. #5626
I am a brand new member who owns a 1999 2850 rk that has been pulled all over the southeast. It has 15" wheels and had carlisle
tires all around. After 4 years I had 2 blowouts on different sides
within 3 months. The tires I was contempating putting on were the same as I took off. I searched around for a 10 ply tire for a 15" wheel and everyone said, there ain't no such thing. I got wind of
a tire by Titan and called my tire guy and he called his supplier and they were available. Bought 4 and they even have an 800 number on the sidewall. Most tire co's don't want you to even know who they are. Titan makes stuff for ranchers and farmers and I read not long ago that they had bought out Goodyears farm and commercial tire division. I have been really happy with these tires. I am
planning on trading my rig this summer and I will orobably look into putting Titans on what ever I get.
Montana_5626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:56 AM   #32
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jetfromtn

I am a brand new member who owns a 1999 2850 rk that has been pulled all over the southeast. It has 15" wheels and had carlisle
tires all around. After 4 years I had 2 blowouts on different sides
within 3 months. The tires I was contempating putting on were the same as I took off. I searched around for a 10 ply tire for a 15" wheel and everyone said, there ain't no such thing. I got wind of
a tire by Titan and called my tire guy and he called his supplier and they were available. Bought 4 and they even have an 800 number on the sidewall. Most tire co's don't want you to even know who they are. Titan makes stuff for ranchers and farmers and I read not long ago that they had bought out Goodyears farm and commercial tire division. I have been really happy with these tires. I am
planning on trading my rig this summer and I will orobably look into putting Titans on what ever I get.
I was looking for the same thing, a 15" 10ply trailer tire for my car hauler. Unfortunately I have been stuck with an E rated Carlise Tire for avaialbility at a local tire store. Discount Tire can get them. They claim it is a 10ply tire and the best made. I said WRONG. They wanted to argue. I gave them more than they wanted to here.
Their replacing the tire now.
IMO Carlisle Tires are right there with the Firestone tires that came on my truck from the factory. Blowout at 70mph. Whole sidewall blewout. Never have a Firestone tire again.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:08 AM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I really don't know what to believe. It seems no matter what the brand, someone has had bad experiences and someone else has had good experiences. I had very good experiences with Firestones except I didn't think they lasted long enough. I had bad experiences with Goodyears both on trailers and on cars. Others swear by Goodyear. I had excellent service from Bridgestone Forenza tires on a car and those are basically Firestone. I've had outstanding service from all BF Goodrich tires I've had, ever. Tires are such a murky subject a guy doesn't really know where to turn. I guess we all have to make our purchase decisions based on our experiences and gut feel. Funny, until this thread I'd always heard Carlisle are good quality trailer tires. Apparently they, too, have problems. Buying tires is like throwing darts apparently.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #34
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
I believe that most any brand is good if they are maintained and not overloaded, (seems like most failures are the rear ones). I read or heard that if a tire fails that both on that side should be replaced as the other one was extremely overloaded when the other failed. Lets face it speed kills these tires as they are not hi speed tires. plus they take a beating with the roads they way they are, they don't have suspension protection like trucks have. (ever notice most semi tire failures are the trailer tires). So I guess the point IMHO is stay within the speed range of the tires, inflation and especially the load at each tire not just my trailer is under 12000 so its OK. weigh at each tire fully loaded.

I believe that is the answer why some have troubles and other don't with same brands. to easy to be overloaded at the wheel its self.

ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #35
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
Excellent post JP, one of the best I've read on the subject.
Jim
jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #36
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
Keham,
Just my two cents on the rear tires of big rigs, 90% of them are recaps. That's what all the "aligators" are that you see on the highways.
Jim
jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #37
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I don't know that it adds greatly to this discussion but the following URL provides some interesting overview information re different Goodyear RV tires and usage patterns

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/overview.html

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #38
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I have had two blowouts and a tread separation with Carlisle tires, made in China. My Monty came with Missions, made in China. I don't trust them, and i have an appointment next week to replace them with BFG tires. It's worth the $400 or so for the peace of mind. BTW, I checked those Carlisles every morning and they were up to pressure and looked good until they blew.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #39
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
jim

I forgot that part but recaps have really have gotten better I heard.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote