Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
Successfully threaded cable with no existing cable to attach to?

I’ve replaced one slide room cable using the nylon sleeve method of attaching old and new cables to each other. But I now have a situation where a cable is missing (different spot than the aforementioned cable). It’s at the top corner of the slide room, so at least I’m not faced with having to fish it up from the lower corner; that seems impossible without removing the facia and “jamb”. I’ve watched the famous training video and several others, so I know the basic technique. But without removing facia and jamb (which are not present in the video), it would require either quite a stroke of luck, or some technique of which I’m unaware to thread the cable from the outside in such a way as to properly meet up with the pulley and be able to grab it from the top of the jamb. Note: I can’t position myself to look down through the top opening of the jamb. I can take pictures with my phone and I can see the end of the cable. But snatching it “blind” is another matter. I don’t think I can get a mirror in place, either, to monitor my fishing.

https://youtu.be/lQWBI0gnhpI

1) Has anyone successfully done this? What technique did you use?

2) I suspect I’m confronted with having to remove the facia and jamb, or else let the dealer mess with it. The only video I’ve found is a DIY remodel where the fascia was glued and stapled to MDF, which in turn was screwed into the metal frame. This does seem a bit daunting, and I’d really rather avoid it altogether. Nevertheless, any tips on how to proceed?

DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:00 PM   #2
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
I had to remove the valance trim in our bedroom to replace one of our cables. It was simply attached with brads. (Lots of them) but they came loose with a simple tug on the top of the trim. After replacing the cable I reattached by countersinking screws. I used dark grey screws that blended in great. I'm not even going to fill over them as they are barley noticeable.

One of mine was indeeed from the lower corner and missing cable. It was a PITA but doable. The hardest part was actually threading it through the two top pulleys at opposing angles. It was the kitchen slide. Did not need to remove any trim boards. I was able to position the slide about halfway in/out and reach the cable as my wife fed it through from outside. I had to pre-bend the cable so it would track upward as she pushed.

A word of advice; Relocate the slide brackets to align cables with the holes in the frame or you will be doing the same thing over and over. I replaced three cables in the first few months of ownership before I realized what was going on. Multiple slide brackets were out of alignment.

Edit: I forgot that I did have to remove the plastic guard/shroud to get to the cable on the kitchen slide. I was able to remove about half the lower screws and simply bend the plastic guard back enough to get hold of the cable.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
Bill n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23680
Following

William and Susan - Abingdon, IL
2019 Montana High Country 331RL / Sailun ST235/80s
B&W Patriot 18k Slider / 2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD SW
Bill n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Our 3750fl the front cables are a pain. Between the interior trim and the entertainment center in the cap my fat head cannot see the cables I take off the inner dust cover roller cover or whatever it is piece of metal. Put a curve in the cable and slowly feed it in from outside or if I’m lucky I con someone into helping. I then stand on a step stool waiting holding a screwdriver against the pulley trying to see if I can poke the cable. Once it’s in the pulley in the wall I use needle nose players to pull it in and then I can usually get it through the pulley mounted inside. I usually cheat and pull the top trim which is held on with pocket screws in our unit. It’s a pain to do but since we have had this unit I have changed 5 cables. After the first two and figuring out the motions it was pretty easy. Helped the brother in law change two on his high country and those were a breeze. Though watching him struggle the first time was fun to see from the other side of the repair.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
Victory Is Mine -- Well, Sort Of

I threaded a cable in from outside, got it connected, and prepared for my victory dance. However, when I operated the slide, there was all kinds of noise that meant trouble. After much time, effort and investigation, including the dreaded removal of the fascia I discovered the cable had NOT threaded onto the pulley when I poked it in from the outside, but instead it threaded between the pulley housing and the plastic jamb. Without realizing that was the case, I had threaded it through the 2nd pulley and got it connected. Well, it got chewed up, of course, when I operated the slide. And other bad things happened, but I finally got the damaged cable removed.

Fortunately I had purchased an extra replacement kit to have on hand. But I still had to thread that cable through and successfully hit the pulley. This time, two things helped. 1) I had someone inside watching where the cable was going; 2) To help that person see better, I had a flashlight shining on the appropriate area inside the trailer. Well, the flashlight actually allowed me to see through the hole from the outside so that I could see the pulley and tang, and get the cable where it needed to go. That was a stroke of luck, because I'm sure my helper would not have been able to see the tang.

Now, I think I have a tension adjustment problem which I'd like to resolve. The motor or gear box makes an unusual noise at a certain point. But I'm not sure of the proper tension settings, so I'll have to study up on that. I'm not quite ready to give up and take it to the dealer just yet, but it may come to that.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
Accu Slide Service Manual

I just found this Accu Slide Service Manual! Apologies if someone has already posted this. I didn't see it, if so.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf accuslide_service-manual.pdf (1.31 MB, 72 views)
Old 09-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Just so you are aware, there is a Files section here on the MOC. That manual, plus many other helpful manuals, is stored there for you. Next time you might save some time and energy by looking there first. Then if you find a manual that is saved there, please save a copy for all the other members.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...?do=file&id=19

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
A couple of good sites that might help
https://www.nexusrv.com/fckimages/pd...ice-manual.pdf

https://youtu.be/we0z3iVD9Uo
Old 09-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #9
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
After watching (and paying for) a tech struggle with mine for a few hours, he finally relented and removed the fascia, and things progressed quickly after that.