Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2005, 05:28 AM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Do we have any recourse?

Well our first trip w/Montana wasn't too bad. Developed 2 leaks (over sofa area and bedroom slide corners) Had them repaired, but sofa area still leaks, but not quite as bad...I guess we can live with it. Had to replace thermostat for hot water unit. We traveled 1800 miles South with our new rig and started a list of things we would like to see improved. Went to some RV show and low and behold our 2005 is not the same as the 2005 in the lots??? Infact 3 of the improvement we were going to suggest and been done. 1. More room around bed, more drawers and bigger bathroom.
In talking to a dealer they said they had their 2005's in June (we bought ours June 21). So we talked about a trade our "2005" for their "2005".
This is what I was told. The rig is only worth about 19,000 (we paid 39,000 +) as it may well have a 2005 Vin #, but actually it is a 2004 design. Other than feeling like we have been taken for suckers, we like the overall design. The dealer at no time told us it was a 2004 design.
We thought we were getting the latest up to date model. But we would think seriously before buying another Keystone Montana.
We finally settled in Del Rio, TX at the Lonesome Dove RV. Ranch for our final 2 months. We love it and plan to return this fall. We stored the rig under roof for the summer for $40 mo. Couldn't afford to bring it home at that rate and let it sit in the sun.

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:59 AM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Syplace,

I think lots of Manufacturers of all sorts of things, make a decision to start the new years production run based on a particular day of the year. They continue to make changes through out the year. This is really not that uncommon.

Bottom line for you is that you have a 2005 Montana. Any time a value is placed on yours you will be using the 05 book values not the 04 values.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping

PS, We were in Del Rio for a night two weeks ago at the Old Calvary Fort Campground about 15 mi east of town. Loved all the Wild Turkeys there.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:13 AM   #3
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
Syplace, hang in there. I would try to have the leak near the sofa "fixed" completey while still under warranty. I would not cut them any slack!

As far as the other, too bad you can't get an honest answer out of them when negotiating a price. Also, I don't think we will ever be able to keep up with all of the changes made.... best not to look at other campers until you are in the market again.... kind of like technology where it is obsolete before it is off the shelf. As hubby tells me, there is always something bigger and better out there.

Makes me wonder... they gave us, I think it was $14,000 for a trade in of our 2000 Monty on a Sunnybrook... No one knows the truth but the dealer...

Have TONS of fun in your new Monty!
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:25 AM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I think the dealer was BSing you, or maybe he was talking difference. We talked trade to our dealer and he looked in the book and said our '03 3280 was valued up to about 30k/33k and traded with a difference of much less than your quoted 19k. We also have 2 2005 Montana booklets, they each have different models, some dropped [3255, 3380], some added [3475, 3500]. The designs/floor plans do carry over from year to year or until they develop and release something new. Just normal practice.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:35 AM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Syplace,

I should have mentioned, for your peace of mind go to www.NADAguides.com Here you will be able to see the values of the Montana's. They may not have the 05's listed yet but you'll see the older ones and be able to get a better feel for yours.

Wish you well.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:54 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Syplace

Keystone is known for their "running changes". It is a bit confusing, but they don't have to wait till June 1st to start a really good change in the units. They start the changes immediately. People view this differently, but we kinda think it is s good thing!

Get the leaks fixed under warranty! Good luck, if you work with Keystone they have been known to work with us.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:43 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Get the leak fixed. Don't settle for less and don't decide to "live with it". You paid your dollars for a unit that doesn't leak. So you deserve to get what you paid for. You can be firm and assertive without being aggressive. Calm persistance will win the day.

Statistics show that passive people get 0% of what they want because no one knows what they want. Aggressive people get 20 to 30% of what they want, but make everybody mad in the process. Assertive folks get 60% of what they want and build bridges in the process. Be sure to let us know your result.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
syplace, What a bunch of BS, Your dealer is talking out of his you know what because his mouth knows better.

I know the feeling of model year changes.
My 2004 2955RL came off the assembly line the second week of May 2003. I first saw it and bought it in September, 03 at an RV show in Harrisburg PA. I took delivery the 4th week of September. In November 03 I attended an RV show in New Jersey where I saw another 2004 2955RL. I wanted to point out something to the salesman and went into the 2955RL. I immediately thought I was in a different model but I was assured it was a 2004 2955RL. The cabinetry above the sofa and dinette was changed. In January 2004, at the Tampa RV show I went into still another 2004 2955RL. I saw even more changes. I spoke to the Montana rep and was told that Montana makes changes throughout the year and do not necessarily wait for the new model year to bring out changes. Even the 05 2955RL has changed since the first 2005 came off line.
I will guarantee you that if you wait another month or so and look at another "newer" 3295RK you will find even more changes and it will still be a 2005.

As far as the water leak, but sofa area still leaks, but not quite as bad...I guess we can live with it. BULL, insist that the dealer fix it while it is still under warranty. If the dealer gives you a hassle call Montana at (574) 535-2100 and explain your situation. I am sure Montana will get the leak fixed.

As far as $19,000 for your 2005 3295RK tell them to take a hike. I'll give you 20,000 even with the leak.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:44 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When we toured the Factory in July of 2004 our guide said that they make changes throughout the model year, many times in response to owner input so it pays to express your satisfaction or dissatisfaction on this forum.I see the changes as a good thing..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:47 PM   #10
Montana_2730
Established Member

M.O.C. #2730
If your still in Del Rio, Texas, stop at TEXALL Boats and RV in San Antonio and talk to Larry the service manager about your leak. See what Larry has to say. They are a great group of factory train Montana service technicans. They are right of of IH35 North of San Antonio.
Montana_2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:21 AM   #11
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Keystone isnt the only RV Manufacture to change plans like this. I remember when we purchased our 2003 Cardinal, it was and early 03 purchased in May of 02. Later that June, the graphics were different on the outside and some changes inside too! So I think you get the latest when you see it b/c they are all changing one thing or other. As for trade in so many dealers will try to get one over on you, check other dealers if you really want to trade, there is always another that comes up with a better deal. I agree with the other posters also get the leak fixed DO NOT settle for this, it will no doubt get worse...Good Luck
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:01 AM   #12
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We just want to thank our fellow RVers for their support and comments, they are very helpful & encouraging. Over all we like our Montana and we will be talking w/Keystone Monday about the leak. I am sure they will help.

We will be posting the various campsites we experienced in our travels in
"Campgrounds". Hope it will be helpful.

Again, thank you.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:13 PM   #13
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
We are the proud owners of a 2004 3670RL. We wanted Corian counters but they were not available at the time we first started looking. Our dealer told us that if we were will to wait for a month a mid model year change was coming. We now have the first, according to our dealer, 2004 3670 to come off the line with the new counter tops. I guess it pays to special order your unit. This way you get the latest mods.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #14
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We too found out about the running changes when we took delivery on our rig (see below). We ordered it at the Pomona CA RV show in October '04 and took delivery in Dec '04. When we ordered it, Shari really wanted the king size bed we'd see on other brands, but settled for the queen. When we took delivery I thought they had given us the wrong unit, all the bedroom cabinetry was different (I'd memorized everything!) and there was a TV that wasn't in the floor model at the show. Keystone had gone to the (oddball) king size bed and in doing so had to make the slide out wider, which made the water closet a little smaller. They also changed the wardrobe so they could include a TV (not just the niche) and that meant changing the dresser, which meant changing the overhead above the window, and also changed from a wood sliding door between the bed & bath to an accordian curtain, and so on. For us the changes were good. But I'm sure the factory rep at the show new these changes were going to happen (production on our rig started the next week) and I would have like knowing about them.

We've been really lucky and have only had a couple of issues of real importance that need fixing. Getting them done was a little vexing, but in retrospect we're sure glad we got the unit we have. Every time we're out in it, people who see the inside comment on what a great floorplan it is, and how nice it looks. Can't help but to be proud of it.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:18 AM   #15
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Just wanted to let you know. We talked w/Keystone. Our dealer is not an option (wouldn't go back to them for what ever). We are storing the rig under roof in Texas ($40 mo. couldn't afford to bring it home at that price) Keystone said they would honor the fix when we pick up the unit next Fall.
But there is no one local so we would have to travel about 150+ miles to New Brunsfeld closest service. To have it fixed locally it would cost $60, but I know we would spend a lot more on diesel traveling the 150+ miles. Will decide when we get to Del Rio.
Again, thank you one and all.