Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Cell Phone Range Extenders

We use Verizon Wireless and having the "new every two" we want to upgrade. However, there is a drawback. Verizon no longer has phones that will accept the use of an external antenna.

What has any one out there done when in a no or low signal area? Is there any certain range extender that you have found to be reliable and not too expensive? Presently, our phones have never been shut out (no bars or 1-2 bars) because of our use of an external Wilson antenna.

Appreciate any help.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
We have the same problem with our new phones. I am looking into the new Wilson wireless amp/ant. that uses blue tooth. I have to see how that will work with my air card from Verizon. Unfortunately this is a very expensive setup from Wilson.

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I have the wireless setup for my Wilson Amp. It allows up to 4 phones/aircards to use the amp at the same time. I just installed it a short while back and have not had a need to test it yet. Off to Yellowstone next week so I am sure it will get used then. I will have to report back once we get up there.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RickW

I have the wireless setup for my Wilson Amp.
Please elaborate on what you mean.

Orv
Old 05-22-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ALAN

We have the same problem with our new phones. I am looking into the new Wilson wireless amp/ant. that uses blue tooth. I have to see how that will work with my air card from Verizon. Unfortunately this is a very expensive setup from Wilson.

Alan
Being fulltimers I would not let the expense stand in my way. Well actualy that does depend on what expensive really is. I will be looking into the Wilson wireless amp/ant.
We use Verizon and over the years we have rarely had a connection problem and when we do there is usually a solution such as park Wifi. Case in point is my current location, We are at my daughters here in the mountains of PA. Fortunately she does have a cable modem and a router so we can use her Wifi for the Internet.
Our cells however usually get just 1 bar and in most cases that is sufficient. If the phone doesn't work we can use her land line.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:32 AM   #6
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

We use Verizon Wireless and having the "new every two" we want to upgrade. However, there is a drawback. Verizon no longer has phones that will accept the use of an external antenna.
Orv, i think you've been talking to the wrong people at verizon.
there certainly ARE cell phones with external rf/antenna jacks.
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ALAN

We have the same problem with our new phones. I am looking into the new Wilson wireless amp/ant. that uses blue tooth. I have to see how that will work with my air card from Verizon. Unfortunately this is a very expensive setup from Wilson. Alan
Alan, what wilson setup with bluetooth are you referring to? (got a model#?)
i'm not familiar with any wilson electronics gear with bluetooth.
just want to make sure you're getting what you think you are.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:55 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EVDOalex

Quote:

Orv, i think you've been talking to the wrong people at verizon.
there certainly ARE cell phones with external rf/antenna jacks.
I queried Verizon Wireless and they told me the same thing as all the Verizon stores have told me. No phones that will accept an external antenna. The following is a quote from their e-mail:

"I hope you are having a great day! Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is Sheryl, and it is my pleasure to assist you today regarding your equipment. You are a valued customer and your business is important to us.

Orville, I have reviewed our list of available equipment, and I am sorry that we do not provide a phone into which you can plug the external antenna at this time. We however provide equipment with built in antenna."

Old 05-22-2009, 03:36 AM   #9
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RickW

I have the wireless setup for my Wilson Amp.
Please elaborate on what you mean.

Orv
My setup has 2 antennas. One internally and one externally. The external antenna is attached to the batwing antenna mast. When I raise the TV antenna it also raises the cell phone antenna.

I have the internal antenna mounted just above the washer/dryer door. So I do not have to physically run a wire from the amp to the phone. This setup allows me to use 4 devices at once since there is no physical connection.

From my research the hard wire provides the best connectivity but the wireless does work. By this time next week I will know for sure.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:44 AM   #10
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Here is the internal antenna

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=585
Old 05-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Wrap the antenna several turns around the wireless and you may have enough signal to increase the strength just a little. What do you have to loose.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 AM   #12
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
I queried Verizon Wireless and they told me the same thing as all the Verizon stores have told me. No phones that will accept an external antenna.
i don't doubt that they told you that, i'm just saying the folks who have answered you are reading from scripts that have the wrong answer, OR, they wouldn't know an antenna jack from a headphone jack.

the verizon w755 has a jack on back of the phone, and both the LG Dare and LG Versa have antenna jacks , but you'd need to put a hole in the battery cover or leave the cover off in order to use them.

fyi, the place i work for is the best source of info about cell phone's with antenna jacks, and the adapter cables that work with thos jacks.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #13
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
Alex,

My error, you are right. The unit I was looking at was wireless, but acted as an amp. for both cell phone and air card devices. Sorry for the misinformation.

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Olds, As Evdoalex stated, Verizon has a phone, Motorola w755 has an antenna jack . I have only had mine about 3 weeks,and have had the battery replaced. On the back side, lower left corner, there is a rubber plug you have to remove. Wilson makes an adapter cord for it. I don't have the number for it with me. bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have had HORRIBLE cell coverage from Alltel just south of Disney for the past 3 yrs. Goes from 5 bars to none, then to another cell company's tower. Incoming calls will not switch your phone to the EVDO Alltel tower and it will go straight to voice mail, even though your phone is sitting right next to us with 5 bars. All cell companies in the area are blaming the FCC for some reason. Kind of a "Bermuda Triangle" according to Alltel.

I am hopeful the the Verizon Alltel marriage will do something to change this mess. Otherwise I am strongly looking at the Wilson system for my wife and my cell phone (we have cable for internet). The system was an outside antenna, booster, then inside transmitter that was kind of like setting up your own mini cell tower in your Montana. Not sure this will work in this strange situation though.

I checked 2 yrs ago and it was ~$850 at that time. Not sure what this setup would be today, or if there is any newer technology?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #16
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
We recently purchased the Wilson SIGNALBOOST amplifier Model #811214. This is our 4th summer working in Grand Teton National Park. The past 3 years we have been in the NPS housing area at Colter Bay. This is on the very edge of cell coverage. We have been able to get 1 to 3 bars using an external Wilson Antenna. This past winter we crippled a Samsong phone by plugging an antenna into the RF port under the battery cover. It turned off the internal antenna and would not turn it back on when the external antenna was removed. This phone was replaced with a Sony Ericsson TM506 which has a external RF jack, but was unable to find an adapter. Without an external antenna, we were getting 0-1 bars. The Wilson model we have comes with the external antenna, the amp., a cradle with a built in antenna to hold the phone or separate antenna that can be attached to the back of your phone. The instructions says to not make a direct connection to the phone on damage to the phone will occur. After making all the connections, I put the phone in the cradle and had 1 bar. When I turned on the amplifier, the phone immediately showed 5 bars. With the phone in the cradle, it is best if we use a hands-free headset or blue-tooth headset. We also use this phone to access the internet. It is not 3G speed, but seems to be working OK. All in all, we are very happy with the system which I believe is less expensive than the wireless amps.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote