Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2006, 07:24 AM   #1
craigdesk

M.O.C. #4675
Dish Network - 500

Ok... this is my first time using the site for help. I've been reading every thing I can about satellite TV. We went to Dish network at our home, yesterday, and have the "500" system. Apparently that means we must stay hooked up to a land line in order to use it. We thought we could take the box (322- 2 TV hook up), in our Montana when we travel, but being new at this, don't see how we are supposed to do that. Does anyone have this system that could help me. I've called several places, including Dish Network, and I really don't want to have another complete account for a few times on the road. (Not fulltimers). Can you help?
Shari

craigdesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Shari, I'll let the more knowledgeable ones tell you how, but I know it can be done. We fulltime and use Direct TV and have seen many folks on the road with their dishes. This was the place to ask!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Daron & Shari to the MOC Family.

You only need to be hooked up to a land line when using any of the PPV (PayPerView) channels. Other than the PPV you do not need a land line connection.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We have the Dish 500. As stated above, the landline is only needed for pay per view. If you get very far from home you will not be able to get your local channels, though.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:10 AM   #5
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
You can apply for an RV waiver to get east and west coast channels, which we did since you cannot get local channels when traveling. We have Dish Network but will be changing to Direct TV since we would have to pay for HDTV receiver and they will give it to us free with Direct, and Direct has only one satellite to find. We do have to apply again for the RV waiver with them. You just have to fill out a form and send a copy of your trailer registration. You can get the form online.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:56 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I have two receivers - one in main living room one in bed room. When we travel - we take the one out of the bed room. I have a compass and level and a signal meter that I use to locate the Sat with. Also if you are going say over 50 miles from your home it might be handy to have the zip code - that way you can enter in the setup screen and it will the the degrees and azmuth settings.
If you want the watch Saturday night wrestling pay per view you will be out of luck though - sorry.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by toolmanroy

You can apply for an RV waiver to get east and west coast channels, which we did since you cannot get local channels when traveling. We have Dish Network but will be changing to Direct TV since we would have to pay for HDTV receiver and they will give it to us free with Direct, and Direct has only one satellite to find. We do have to apply again for the RV waiver with them. You just have to fill out a form and send a copy of your trailer registration. You can get the form online.
Toolmanroy, where do you get the online form? We have "talked" to the Dish Network people and they told us "they would apply for us" over the phone and would have to wait to hear from them. (been waiting a little over a month now). We sure do miss our local news.
Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
You won't get YOUR local news. You will get east and/or west coast major stations, which I believe are New York or Atlanta and LA or Portland, OR. If you have Dish Network, you can go online and check your account and should be able to see if you have been approved. If not, I would call them again.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:05 AM   #9
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
We use dish and we fulltime. We get the local channels of the area that we are in. It cost extra for the service for local news, 5.40 a month more to get the local channels. We call them when we move and they change us to the local area. We have had dish for over 6 years and never had a phone line connected. If you want to order PPV, go to their website and you can order it that way.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
At home (stick built) we just upgraded from the Dish 500 to the Dish DVR 625 and wow what a differance. We can record 2 stations and watch a prerecorded show at the same time. Or record one and watch anothe at the same time. Also the one unit will service 2 TV's at the same time with out being wired together. But the problem is if you do not have it connected to the telephone they will charge you $5.00 per month. What a pain. We are going to move the old Dish 500 into the Montana and see if we can get it to work.

For national stations the signal is sent out across the Country but for local stations it is only sent out as a "beam" that covers something like 100 mile radius or diameter, not sure what. We live over 100 miles from Seattle and our neighbors say they can get the Seattle stations.

Good luck and happy camping, (I find it hard to use that "camping" word when relaxing in our Montana.)
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #11
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Can't say about distance covered by the Seattle stations. The spot beam for the Houston local stations covers about 300 miles in any direction. I can get them as far north as the Oklahoma border and as far south as the Texas/Mexico border, east into central Louisana and west almost to Fort Stockton, Tx.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote