Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2003, 12:22 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
2 more wish list items

1. Just had to run outside an unlatch the oven vent hood flap. Will have to remember to relatch it after dinner. How about an inside lock/release mechanism?

2. Lighting the oven by getting down on your hands and knees with a match or lighter is not on my top ten list of fun things to do. How about an option for electronic ignition?

Steve and Vicki Reigle
Topeka, KS (until 4/03, then fulltime traveling)
'99 F350 V10; '03 3295RK

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:19 PM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We just got back home from a 10 day trip to the ocean and I used the oven every day. With ours, you have to get down on your knees and then while on your knees, bend over and rest your head on the open oven door so you can see what you are doing and try to light the oven about half-way in under the oven floor. (This make sense how I wrote this?)
I wonder if they could put in electronic igniton for the oven like the burners have? Or can the oven be raised up? I'm at the point that I don't want to use the oven anymore.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:56 PM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
WOW! This has been one of my pet peeves sense we got our 3280RL a little over a year ago. I use my oven all the time and have one heck of a time trying to light it every time. Can't get down on knees because of arthritis, have to do the bend over thing and put head on door to see what I am doing. About the light thing I have never had a oven with out a light in it till now. I have to use a flash light to see if the food is brown or burnt.. So I think that who ever designed this stove needs to Add a light and the electronic igniter.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 03:02 PM   #4
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Back in September we had this discussion about the stove vent. This was my response at the time. It works for us.

Well my way is not rocket science and I'll bet others on here could do a better job but this is what I did. I drilled a small hole in the little door and another small hole in the side of the range hood about midway back. I took the connector link off and ran the chain through the hole in the hood and then out the hole in the door than I put the connector link back on to keep the chain from pulling through. When you pull the chain in the chain catches on the hood to keep it closed and when you turn on the fan and hold the chain loosely the door will pull the chain out. We still close the regular latches when traveling. Certainly happy to share and if anyone has ideas to improve upon it that works too.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 03:36 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prariepoodle

WOW! This has been one of my pet peeves sense we got our 3280RL a little over a year ago. I use my oven all the time and have one heck of a time trying to light it every time. Can't get down on knees because of arthritis, have to do the bend over thing and put head on door to see what I am doing. About the light thing I have never had a oven with out a light in it till now. I have to use a flash light to see if the food is brown or burnt.. So I think that who ever designed this stove needs to Add a light and the electronic igniter.
Linda, I think this might work for you (haven't tried it). Since you use the oven a lot and have to light the pilot light a lot, just light it once and don't turn it off until you go home. Let the pilot keep burning. When you turn the oven off, instead of turning the knob to "off" just turn it to "pilot on". I **think** this will work but haven't tried it. That pilot light flame will use a little propane but not all that much. And it's sure a lot better than a lot of discomfort lighting the pilot all the time. We used to have a fifthwheel with water heater that ran only on propane and had a manually lit pilot light, no electronic ignition. We went camping at least two weekends per month, mid-March through mid-November, and took a two or three week vacation as well. The pilot ran all that time. A 30 lb. propane bottle lasted us two seasons. We didn't need the furnace except in rare occasions so the water heater was about all that was drawing propane. So that pilot flame's propane use won't break you.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:44 PM   #6
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prariepoodle

Steve, That is a very good idea and I will try it but I seem to forget a lot in my old age and when we leave for a few days I want everything off But you are right and it would save me a lot of lighting the oven. Thanks for the suggestion

Linda, I think this might work for you (haven't tried it). Since you use the oven a lot and have to light the pilot light a lot, just light it once and don't turn it off until you go home. Let the pilot keep burning. When you turn the oven off, instead of turning the knob to "off" just turn it to "pilot on". I **think** this will work but haven't tried it. That pilot light flame will use a little propane but not all that much. And it's sure a lot better than a lot of discomfort lighting the pilot all the time. We used to have a fifthwheel with water heater that ran only on propane and had a manually lit pilot light, no electronic ignition. We went camping at least two weekends per month, mid-March through mid-November, and took a two or three week vacation as well. The pilot ran all that time. A 30 lb. propane bottle lasted us two seasons. We didn't need the furnace except in rare occasions so the water heater was about all that was drawing propane. So that pilot flame's propane use won't break you.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 04:06 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If it were me, I'd still turn it off when leaving for a few days. Just my nervous nellie side coming out.