Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #21
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Phil,the real question is, "Are you happy with the speed that you are getting". If yes, then the speed is good or great. I find my speed varies based upon where I am at (in the country and location to nearest network antenna), and the amount of traffic on the internet. I have had times during normal working hours (oh I hate to say that) where the net seemed very slow, and later in the evening or on the weekend, it was a lot faster.
Bob

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #22
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Some help here. I ran the speedtest and I am getting 521 kbs download and 327 kbs upload. This is on my laptop which receives its signal from my Phoebus Router. Are these speeds a; lousy b; OK c; good d; great???? What say you in the know??? Appreciate the help......Thanks
they aren't bad numbers... the probably indicate that the cell tower you are connected to is either under moderate/heavy load or maybe suffering other performance issues. the tower that rich was testing from was less loaded and has more internet connectivity to it, than the tower you are connecting to.

next week it could be the other way around and rich's tower sucks and yours rocks. thats the nature of the network.

highly doubt its your setup, though if you have not operated the aircard 595 in laptop with vz access manager in a while, you probably should. it may need to update itself with latest tower information.

the ac 595 is a great card. and if your phoebus is still working then there isn't a whole lot of reason to consider upgrading.

just be careful if you have to replace your laptop. either make sure your next/new laptop still has the right kind of card slot, or plan on side-grading to a new verizon usb modem and a cradlepoint router at the same time.
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:05 AM   #23
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Just wondering and thinking about getting the Cradlepoint 1000 as suggested. Is it difficult to setup for use at home? I really want to pursue this and also wondering where you purchased this router. Thanks.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:09 AM   #24
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Slewis,

I'd recommend the outfit that EVDOalex works for. See above post of his. Just send him an email and let him know what you have and what you want to do. I've got no connection to him or his company and I've never even done any business with his company. But from all reports I've read here on the MOC folks seem to be very satisfied.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same advise as Hamrad. 3G store will do all the setup for you
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #26
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Thanks, guys. I called the 3G store and now have a Cradlepoint 1000 on the way to us. Now I wish I would have
asked for overnight shipping. ha
Old 03-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #27
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
All of these posts were very interesting. No one mentioned a Sprint air card. How does Sprint compare to Verizon or AT&T. We have been using Sprint for nearly 2 years. They now limit our roaming usage. Other than that, we have been happy with the card.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #28
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Received the router and hooked it up all by our not so computer literate selves. Only issue we had was when we thought we had it protected and the grandson came down and logged on with his itouch-no password. So I had to call for some help with that. And they were helpful.