Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2006, 02:23 AM   #1
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Satellite or Cable

Going to Texas for the winter. I have Dish at the home base. I do not want to remove my dish as to where it is mounted. I would have to purchase another Dish. I think I should just pay for cable for four months and forget hauling all the dish stuff. Any comments. Will the cable cost me buckets more for programming?

old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Old Turbo,
For me it is a matter of picture quality and channel selection. As for the price of a dish they are very cheap, I've seen them on E-Bay for 10 bucks. You could then take your receiver from home, or buy one. I have found that cable service is very limited and when found leaves a lot to be desired.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bill,
I agree with you. We have been in parks that advertised cable TV but only had 2 or 3 channels. Plus we have HBO and something else and of course all of the many channels DirecTV offers. This isn't as important if you are only there for the weekend or 3 or 4 days but when staying someplace for a month it is nice to have a choice. Ed isn't a happy camper if he is missing a boxing match on HBO or PPV. And to paraphase you guys, if Ed isn't happy, Momma isn't happy.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Bill and Sue are correct. You can pick up a dish for next to nothing, and the channel selection and picture quality is much better. You can take the receiver from home or for $5 a month you can get second one.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
We have two receivers at home. We bought another dish. We just unplug the receivers and put them in the Monty. Since we still have a stick house, DirecTV doesn't know we have them in an RV although they were originally installed in the RV because the CG we were living in at the time didn't have their cable working.
Happy trails..........................
Old 10-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Both Directtv and Dish have that ..leave your dish when you move " program and they will install a new one at your new home. Well many folks that move into your old home do not have sat or have the wrong service so those dishes wind up in the trash or in Garage sales. We got one at a garage sale for 3.00. We use satellite , take a couple of receivers from the house..more channels in most cases and in most cases less expensive than CG cable.Personal choice of course.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Old Turbo,
Buy a dish and take it with you along with your receiver. You will find it really nice having all the channels you're used to getting. As most folks have indicated..... cable is a hit and miss proposition.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:36 AM   #8
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Not to hi-jack this thread, but - we have an RV friend who is giving us her complete portable satellite dish (from the same co. that we have our home dish with). Her ex had mounted it on their RV. Would we be able to take our receiver from home then and use it with this portable satellite dish? Will it work without us doing anything else other than getting it set up correctly (which we will probably be a real spectacle doing-lol) Sorry, but we have never done this before.
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:49 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
wannabe....it will work just fine.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:20 AM   #10
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Thanks Richfaa. So, you don't have to contact your satellite co. in order to make this work??
Old 10-18-2006, 06:27 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Sandi
Contrary to a wide spread belief, the satellite company really does not know what you are doing or where you are. They just like you to think they do. We do this all the time with both receivers. We had ours for over three years.
Happy trails..............................
Old 10-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Like Sue said.. just hook it up and go.. we have been doing it for several years, many folks do it all the time. They will tell you you need the phone line to order pay per view but that is not so you can do it by cell phone, land line, or online. Get yourself a boy scout compass and a signal meter from radio shack get your azmuth and evevation and you are watching TV.. check this out... Winegard tripod mount and carry bag, Adjustable feet let you position your multi-satellite dish securely on uneven ground.
This Item is In-Stock and Ready to Ship
$79.99
Club Price ... This makes it easy..it is at camping World.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #13
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Thanks for the info! Next summer we will be trying this out.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Here is another way to set up your dish if you have a GPS. Using the Zip Code in the "town" you are in sometimes doesn't give you an accurate read if you are several miles from the center of town. I get the latitude/longitude off the GPS and use it. At our stick house, i.e., we are off by 7 degrees.
Happy trails........................