Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Wireless Adapter - USB

Has anyone used one of these? I've decided I want my desktop to be wireless compatible. I thought it was, but it isn't. It is a Sony Vaio about 2 1/2 years old. So in checking into wireless adapters, I thought it would be one that goes into an expansion slot but I found out there are ones that slip right into a USB 2.0 port. Belkin makes one and so does Linksys - 54 Mbps. Any thoughts??
Happy trails........................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The Belkin one works great. Picked one up at Wal-Mart for $39.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I have used the Linksys model with a fair amount of success. I also have used a Hawkins directional that is more powerful, but you need to fuss with it a bit. You may need to define if you want a directional antenna like the Hawkins. You can point these in a campground and achieve better results.
I look at the gain an antenna has personally, aiming it isn't an issue for me to get a better signal.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Would either of you guys supply me with a model number? There are several different models, one with an antenna and one with a booster. I have the LinkSys with booster card for my old laptop and it seems to do the job. But I'm assuming one with an antenna would be stronger. Thanks guys - just saved me some trouble - hard to get to the back of the desk top and I have 3 USB ports in front.
Happy trails......................
Old 09-28-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Sue,
The Belkin is called a Wireless G USB Network Adapter. It has an operating range of 400 ft. So far we've not had a problem with it. We also have Proxim Wireless LAN Adapter. It has the ability to be stretched out about 5 ft from the computer. It also has a range of up to 1000 ft. We use the Belkin with my wife's laptop (her built in adapter quit) while I use the Proxim in my desktop computer.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wirele...&s=electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Hawking-Techno...&s=electronics

Sorry about the long links...hope they work for you.
I have the Linksys USB54G now and compared to a standard Linksys notebook card it works much better (as in no signal to a usable signal).
It does work better by a window and you do have a chord to contend with, but...

The second link is a product that I would like to try, but have no personal experience with yet. It is directional, but once you get the strength up I think you would be surprized how well it will pull.
I had a similar model before, it worked really well but was a rather old design by todays standards.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:40 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Thanks guys. Looks like I have some decisions to make.
Happy trails.................
Old 09-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #8
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
They all work very well, we can't use them in the school district because they tend to grow legs and come up missing. But I think you should be ok with any brand, Linksys is good and actually is owned by CISCO these days.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I am using a Linksys Wireless G USB Network Adapter, as I write this. I bought one at Walmart a week or two ago, about $65. They also had Belkin.

I find these work better on WiFi than the plug in cards in a laptop. I think because they have an antenna and can be positioned to get the best reception.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:07 PM   #10
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I just went through all this and finally got my wireless network to work. I tried the USB adapter and it did not work. It showed a signal but would not exchange data between computers. I ended up putting in a network router via network cable and a ethernet card in my desktop computer. There has to be something that acts as a DHCP server that assigns IP Addresses. From here you can set up your security. I went with the WPA useing a shared network key. Much easier than WEP and a better setup. Go through windows and set up a home network. Here you can specify shared printer and files and shared internet. Any file or folder you want to share right click on it and go to shareing. You should now find it in network places. Doing this I can work in Quickbooks from any computer on the network, move music and pictures. Essentially anything I specify as shared I can work with anywhere. I can do my billing useing my laptop sitting on the outside patio or acess the internet. If you have a PDA the network can be used to Sync. to your main computer without connecting any cable. There are just too many possibilities.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #11
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
This is the one I use on the desktop computer in the garage. You can put a long usb cable on it to get the best reception.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Yes, I did not mention that, but you do also need a router to make it all work. Mine is a D-Link DI-624 wireless router that is connected to a satellite modem by a nework cable. From the router, the signal is broadcast to the network adapters on my desktop and laptop. I can then use the laptop all around the house and in the trailer if it is parked in the driveway.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We used the Linksys model and it worked very well. If you and Ed want to drop by Kansas City I might be persuaded to let it go for a small compensation since both our laptops have builtin wireless now..
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Well Steve I have to stay put so why don't you guys check out Hemet or Palm Springs.LOL Thanks
Happy trails...............................