Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #41
Mr. C
Established Member

M.O.C. #21177
I have a 2013 Montana 3582RL that I have for sale. New Sailun tires, new king size mattress and freshly washed and waxed. I pulled it with my 2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax with no problem. If interested I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas area.

Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #42
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
Most cheaper 5th wheels on market today are not full time quality despite what their marketing ads tell you. Do your homework and check out the numbers on your towing vehicle and your 5th wheel. You’ll find many opinions here, and that helps, but in the end, you’ve got to spend the time and get your facts. We spent a good year checking blogs, going through plant tours, evaluating safety features, observing build quality and gathering as much info as we could on both the truck and 5th wheel, and then we added things like MorRyde IS and disc brakes, better tires and rims, etc., etc. To that end, we made it fun and learned so much along the journey that it helped us make the right decision. Good luck on your journey.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:57 PM   #43
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockDr View Post
Looking for a Keystone 5th wheel to full time in. I have a GMC 2500hd diesel that the tow rating is 15,200 lbs. I want to use this truck as my tow vehicle. Looking for something 35 feet or longer that my truck can safely pull. Would prefer a Montana but don’t think my truck is big enough. I’ve looked at some High Countrys but am wondering if the quality is good and would hold up to full timing. Just wife and I. No pets. Appreciate some feedback please. Doesn’t have to be new but no older than 2016.
I have to go back to the original post to remind everyone that the OP says they are going full time.

As suggested by DQDick, I think you have the cart in front of the horse! Decide what camper you want first! Then buy a TV to match.

Your about to full time and the camper quality matters! You WILL regret buying a lesser quality camper if your using it every day as your primary residence. Not only will the maintence be less but it will be easier to heat and cool a well built and insulated unit. It is one thing to weekend camp with a trailer that isn't heated or cooled well, it is totally something else when your full timing and the unit isn't particularly well insulated!! Your not going to have the option to go home to a sticks and bricks if it's too hot or cold to suit you in the RV!

As for the TV, at a minimum you need a vehicle that you know for certain is safe. Nothing worse than wondering if you have enough STOPPING power when you go down that first mountain pass!!! Just about anything can get those wheels turning, its the safe controlled stopping power that really matters. IF your overloaded then stopping will likely be an issue. Are there folks that tow overloaded, yep every day for thousands of miles BUT the statistics say they are just lucky. Besides, its just common sense that a truck that is not maxed out WILL last longer.

I understand that not everyone has the money to do it but there is little doubt that having two vehicles (one for towing and a lighter daily driver) is the best of both worlds. Most especially if you are staying several months in any given location and don't like to drive the larger vehicle to town and such. In the long run you might even save money as the majority of the wear and tear will be on a lighter and cheaper vehicle saving the expensive TV for just what it is designed for. Besides just about everyone ends up buying a larger camper not far down the road. Might as well get the big daddy TV up front so you ready for the next one!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:01 PM   #44
rapatton

M.O.C. #21638
Quote:
Looking for a Keystone 5th wheel to full time in. I have a GMC 2500hd diesel that the tow rating is 15,200 lbs. I want to use this truck as my tow vehicle. Looking for something 35 feet or longer that my truck can safely pull. Would prefer a Montana but don’t think my truck is big enough. I’ve looked at some High Countrys but am wondering if the quality is good and would hold up to full timing. Just wife and I. No pets. Appreciate some feedback please. Doesn’t have to be new but no older than 2016.
I have a 2018 Gmc duramax hd2500 crew cab short bed that is rated 13500 or a total tow capacity of 29000 lbs between the truck gvwr and the trailer gvwr. Check your owners manual because you might be able to more than you think. I could probably tow a 15-16k trailer
rapatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #45
mmturtle
Established Member

M.O.C. #19521
I pulled new trailers al over with a 3\4 gmc deiseal before we went full time,with no problems, they were empty, when we went full time with a 34 ft.Hich Hicker 5 th wheel, after the first move I new the 3\4 gmc was to small for the trailer . I had a 450 ford built with a bed and used it for 3 years then went down to a 350 ford and for 16 years have used the 1 ton drw with no problems. now have a 36 2009 Montana , bough used 2 years ago, and gmc denial hd it is not a HH but serves our purpose well.
jon
mmturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #46
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Just for grins I looked at Simple Tire.
2016 GMC 2500 SRW got mentioned a few times.
Wheel sizes of 17/18/20” I took the 18” Highest load rated E tires OEM are
3500 # (plus a few #)
What’s this telling us?
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #47
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
That probably wont happen but there are so many other situations that weight can effect and your insurance company can deny a claim because of weight or you could just get pulled over for a random check.

I ask my Allstate agent about this very thing. They called Allstate. Allstate said I would be covered. My agent told me they can’t deny coverage. If they could deny coverage what about if you were speeding or ran a red light or was drinking. If they could deny coverage they would never cover anything.
I ask a state police trooper if they ever checked RVs to see if they were overweight, no they had better things to do.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #48
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
I still feel having the correct TV is most important, we live on long island & I can go any where in a DRW LB F350. We have been through 4 different rigs with the same truck, going from two TT and two 5th wheels. We new from the beginning that a DRW was the way to go and figured we would never have a rig that a 1 ton couldn't tow. To each his own,but you cant go wrong with a 1 ton 4WD even if you only use it once or twice. Plus there is a certain feeling of safety you get, even if you buy a few years old its worth it having those two extra wheels.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #49
Kruskop's
Established Member

M.O.C. #22567
Quote:
We tow our 2018 Montana 3931fb fifthwheel with our 2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ and have had no issues. We do not have air shocks and RV sits level and pulls effortlessly. We are very pleased. Owned a previous 2013 Montana 3402RL fifthwheel and took it to Tennessee, California, and Texas over the mountains again with ease. We love the diesel brake tow mode because we set it and forget it. In our opinion there’s nothing like the duramax Chevy 2500HD diesel truck for towing. We also utilize the Andersen style hitch.
Kruskop's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #50
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
An insurance company may pay out on such claims. And, also drop you or raise your rates excessively. Like getting a DWI. Willful neglegence makes attorneys drool and makes civil liability penalties extend beyond coverage limits of most drivers.

If you want to see police red tag overloaded trucks, cruise by the CA central coast. Keeping people safe on the highways is their primary concern.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:39 AM   #51
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruskop's View Post
We tow our 2018 Montana 3931fb fifthwheel with our 2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ and have had no issues. We do not have air shocks and RV sits level and pulls effortlessly. We are very pleased. Owned a previous 2013 Montana 3402RL fifthwheel and took it to Tennessee, California, and Texas over the mountains again with ease. We love the diesel brake tow mode because we set it and forget it. In our opinion there’s nothing like the duramax Chevy 2500HD diesel truck for towing. We also utilize the Andersen style hitch.
Man that is one overloaded truck! Towing capacity per Chevy is 13,000 lbs
Dry weight on your rig says 12,525
Good Luck and keep others in mind when you’re on the road.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #52
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I ask my Allstate agent about this very thing. They called Allstate. Allstate said I would be covered. My agent told me they can’t deny coverage. If they could deny coverage what about if you were speeding or ran a red light or was drinking. If they could deny coverage they would never cover anything.
I ask a state police trooper if they ever checked RVs to see if they were overweight, no they had better things to do.
Lynwood
Lynwood I agree the Insurance company would pay up to your limits. However, any good lawyer would be able to get a lot more that that if the can prove gross negligence.

Posting on forums that you know you are over weight and don't care qualifies don't you think?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #53
laprezgpoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #22763
Not legally they aren't - ha haaa...They either are clueless or just don't give a damn - but most are definitely overweight.
laprezgpoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #54
laprezgpoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #22763
Just curious - did you weigh the truck by itself? And how much did it weigh - fully loaded?
Old 01-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #55
laprezgpoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #22763
Quote:
Originally Posted by browens62 View Post
3121RL 12000 dry 13000 maybe load 20% 2600 pin. 2016 2500 ram 4x4 6.4 gas with 4.10. charts have 15630 tow weight

Payload 3015 per door sicker- pin = 415 for me and DW, dog, gas etc.. we will be over just don't know how much,

Our truck does fine pulling our montana, little slow on long grades.

Will upgrade in 5 year or so to DRW

i was looking for something around 9K but the DW change my mind
Wow - 3000 lb sticker. Our 1 ton is only 3500 - our 3/4 was 2300. Wonder what the difference is other that we own Chevys. Is Chevy that much heavier than a Ram? I just checked the new Rams and Crew Cab payload is 2200-2300 and the mega cab 1900.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #56
laprezgpoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #22763
Quote:
If you have a 4x4 Crew then your payload is around 2500 lbs (you can check your door sticker). From that subtract your and DW's weight, hitch weight, and any other stuff you carry around. For more accuracy, weigh the truck fully loaded and subtract that from 10000 lbs. GVWR. That number is how much your pin wt or hitch wt can legally be. Check the websites for rigs you are interested in. They give an estimated hitch wt. (add a couple of 100, since you will be loading the rig). When you get a match, that is the rig you can legally tow. Maybe a HC, but most likely a Cougar or Laredo.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #57
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Lynwood I agree the Insurance company would pay up to your limits. However, any good lawyer would be able to get a lot more that that if the can prove gross negligence.

Posting on forums that you know you are over weight and don't care qualifies don't you think?
I think you misunderstood, I didn’t say I was over weight and in fact I’m not.
Just today my agent ask if he could rent my camper for a week. I told him no but I would loan it to him at no cost.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:19 AM   #58
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I think you misunderstood, I didn’t say I was over weight and in fact I’m not.
Just today my agent ask if he could rent my camper for a week. I told him no but I would loan it to him at no cost.
Lynwood

"Posting on forums that you know you are over weight" should have read "Those folks that post on forums that they are overweight". That would have been clearer.

Sorry
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #59
browens62
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21399
door sticker

laprezgpoc

If i am reading it correct 3016 to the payload limits. The 2016 ram charts have payload at 3300. sorry about the direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door sticker1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	2934  
browens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #60
laprezgpoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #22763
Actually insurance companies do this all the time - deny coverage, if you are at fault. Unless you are in a 'no-fault' state.