Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Slick new product, looks promising

Check it out......
Price isn't bad either.
Ozz

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/index...OD&ProdID=1815

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Ozz, would this take the place of a surge protector? As you say, the price is right. - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
It looks like something I might be interested in - low voltage cutoff and a surge protector...if it works, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than their other model. The only thing I see is it may not allow the power box lid to be closed (I lock mine sometimes - or at least like the option)? If you can still close the box I might get one.

Nice find Ozz - I like that store too - they have treated me well...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
"O" Boy, here we go again,

It does claim to be doing the same thing as the SG from TRCI. Same cut off points and same time delay. Very interesting. I would want to get more info about the Co. that makes it, before I bought one.

We have the TRCI and I pestered there Eng. Dept. with questions before I bought mine, I would do the same with these guys.

Looks pretty compact. Great price. Theft?

Happy Camping

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Those of us with 30 amp service would get out even cheaper - $86.00.
I'm also VERY interested in whether or not the pedestal box will close !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
If the box wouldn't close, it would be a hindrance to the marketing.
I would then choose to bring it to the inside and hook it up with a couple plugs - I have the thirty amp also.
I see a door to my cord storage and water pump area in my future...
Old 04-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good find, Ozz. If it works, it is a much more reasonably priced. CW also has it, but higher priced by a few dollars. I would still put an intermetic surge suppressor in line just in case the big one gets by.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Good one Ozz, looks like that may be a worthwhile addition. price is right to.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:50 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I wish I would have thought of making it. There's always a smarter guy just around the corner....
As for the lid shutting, yes, that would be ideal, but look at all the water that is around your plug in at the back of the trailer when it pours rain. You would have some protection in the campground box with the lid shutting half way or so.
I really don't think anyone would notice it plugged in as far as theft goes.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:44 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I ended up buying one last night - it offers more protection than I currently have along with low voltage cutoff and reset. I already have the pigtails if I feel the need to bring it inside.

Thanks for the linkage Ozz.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:06 AM   #11
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Another thought came to mind. This would be ideal for the folks who have the Hughes Autoformers and want to add the spike and over/under protection.

It looks like it would simply plug right into the A/F. No fuss no muss. We have our A/F built in with pig tails and this would simply be a matter of un-pluging one side and pluging in this device.

Happy Camping
Old 04-21-2007, 06:51 AM   #12
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Looking at this further, its made by the same Co. as ours TRCI. And the only apparent difference is the Joules rating, the by-pass switch and oh yea $125 (30Amp version). What's up with that?

Happy Camping
Old 04-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #13
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Thanks Ozz.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #14
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Thanks Ozz, was headed to CW today to purchase a Surge Protector and saw your post before we left. Liked what I saw, so we got one and it's plugged into the system as I write this. Save about $250 getting this unit vice the bigger more spendy other unit.

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #15
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Blowing up the photo it looks to be identical to the one I purchased from camping world for $89.99. Used it for the first time this weekend and was the only one to have electrical problems. I lost the microwave and TV in the bedroom as well as the converter. Still don't know if the converted caused the problem or if the surgeguard did. The Surgeguard is fried, but no breakers in the unit or on the post triped. After I unpluged the TV to stop the smoke from progressing to full out fire I went out and the lights on the Surge Guard now showed an Open Nuetral. Still had AC power to the unit. I took the surge guard out and after the rangers verified the post had all th proper voltages pluged back in with just the regular cord. The open ground in the converter now tripped it's breaker, the monte main breaker AND the post breakers.

Fire5er, you brought one, is it model AECM10096? if so that is exactly what I have and the specs on the package don't match those on the web site! It is rated for a Surge Energy of 2040 Joules NOT 12040!, Surge Amps is 72,000 and there is no Automatic Power Shut Offs! just indicator lights.

Third problem is plugging it into the post. The front face of this unit is completely flat. unfortunately, most power posts are not. normally the sockets on the post are recessed slightly from the aluminum outer sheath of the post. Depending on the depth of the recess this could prevent you from fully inserting the prongs on the Surgeguard into the recepticle on the post.

I also purchased the 30 Amp version but have not used it yet and not sure if I will. I am calling the company tomorrow and will keep all informed on what they say.

Bottom line I think (but could be wrong) that the company has the wrong specs listed for that device and I am not impressed with its performance the first time out of the shoot. It did kill itself but still continued to provide power to my unit and nearly started a fire. I am glad we were there to unplug the TV and the surgeguard.
Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #16
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Wow Bill & Lisa,

That's terrible news. So sorry for your situation. The S/G, was it made by TRCI? Just in case you don't have the PH# it's 1-800-780-4324

Wish you the best
Old 04-23-2007, 01:54 AM   #17
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Yes, it says TRC on the package but the website comes up TRCI.....and the contact number is the same. I will be on the phone with them shortly.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:16 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bill, so sorry to hear that. Sounds like the Surgeguard was mis-wired internally, check the fuses in the converter, it should be protected. The mfg. will be eager to get that back to do testing, I bet they will stand behind your damages.
I would pull the line voltage breaker assembly and check all the wires and breakers for damage as well.
Good luck on that deal.
Ozz
Old 04-23-2007, 04:43 AM   #19
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I was originally going to say, that I could have used one of these units back when I had to replace two Converters because they had forgot to terminate the neutral. I was running off a 220 volt feed with the neutral being any thing that was grounded on the fifth wheel. I did not smoke a TV or anything else but the converter, two times. It could be a similar situation where the neutral stab on the plug is not making connection so you only have 220 volts..
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:52 AM   #20
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
hmmm, perhaps this is the problem: Bill and Lisa stated "Third problem is plugging it into the post. The front face of this unit is completely flat. unfortunately, most power posts are not. normally the sockets on the post are recessed slightly from the aluminum outer sheath of the post. Depending on the depth of the recess this could prevent you from fully inserting the prongs on the Surgeguard into the recepticle on the post." and 5ER stated "It could be a similar situation where the neutral stab on the plug is not making connection so you only have 220 volts." Perhaps the recessed sockets prevented the neutral blade from making contact.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote