Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Storage Area

Has anyone made any upgrades in their storage area to more easily access things? I've seen some of those "sliding tray" units in the CW catalog that many large motorhomes use but I didn't know if that would work in the Monty. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
We have one of the slide out trays which came with our 3400. It is very convenient for loading and unloading the electric cord, cable &tv cords, and fresh water hose which we keep in a laundry basket. We also store other misc plastic boxes on the tray and have easy access to those "in the middle". Its not a must have, but it is a convenience, and it came this way with the unit.

jerry
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have been looking for something like the sliding trays for my 3685. But all of them I have seen so far dont work for the narrow storage areas of the 3685. My storage doors are only 16" wide. I feel they would work great for the narrow storage areas of my model.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Like Jerry our 3400 came with it but had it not we would have added it. They are great and makes it easy to get at things in the middle. Nice especially for those of us that are vertically challenged or handicapped in some other way. It also helps to keep people who are not organized to be organized (don't tell Ed I said that).
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Or in my case "Horizontally” challenged. Those narrow doors are a real pain to squeeze thru and find something in the middle.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I must have more room under my 2955 and based on the picture in your profile of your 3685. I have one large door on one side that opens upward and two on the other side that swing out. I could probably put in at least two of those slider things, if I knew they work well. I'm not vertically challenged but I can see things getting kind of messy if you can't get to them and I still don't want to crawl around in there.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Yes, the second door from the front is a pass thru storage and there is another on the very back of the trailer that is about the same size. It forces me to be somewhat organized as the things you need first during set up have to be on the outside then the things in the middle are accessible. If I could find one that would fit the narrow storage areas I would have it.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:32 AM   #8
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I have two plastic storage boxes on wheels. They are designed to fit under your bed (in your stick house). Have seen them at Lowe's and once at WalMart. They stack and the wheels of the top one mate into the cover of the bottom one. I would have to check the width to see if they would fit the narrow doors. In my 3280RL, I stack them and still have about 6 inches on top for other stuff. The rollers make it easy to pull both boxes out part way and then I can remove the top box. I keep most setup and often used stuff in the top box and seldom used supplies etc in the bottom box. I believe they are about 2'x4'x8".
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:46 AM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I built a rack out of wood to corral the folding chairs and the table that I store there. I also use a large rubbermaid container and some small dollar store baskets that fit in the lower tray.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
I went to Lowes and got some of that 3'' shelving angle with the predrilled holes.I then made a frame in the basement just high enough to slide the plastic bins in underneath.Then I put two pieces of plywood for the floor using 4 roof sheathing clips down the middle.The new shelf holds a narrow bin,campstove,a folding lounge chair,fishing rods,etc.The front side rail is screwed into the front wood partition and the aft rail is screwed into the wooden box affair in the middle of the basement.I used 4 short pieces as hangers from the main floor frame of the bedroom.I didn't increase the volume of the basement but made use of wasted space.It has been in since may of last year.Almost forgot to say the four frame pieces are bolted in each corner to make the square.
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #11
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
We use 5 of those plastic boxes you get with the hinged lids, then the grill fits in too. They hold alot of stuff. Red lid is for electical and tv. Blue lid is for the water stuff. The others for misc. stuff. They slide in just under all the plumbing and leave enough room for a folding table.The ones in the center are easy to get out by using your awning hook and pulling them out. Ive often wondered how much room you loose with the sliding trays, and thought they would be nice.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:05 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just a side note -- this probably won't work for a 3685 but for the rest of us who don't have the sliding storage the easiest way to access things in the middle of the basement is through the laundry chute door. Just pull out the laundry basket. Now that I think about it, the newer models have a wire basket. Does it lift out, giving clear access to the middle of the basement?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:43 AM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Yup, It lifts out completely Steve and we do use that to get small things our.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:05 AM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Steve, not only does it lift out, it has nice handles on it so you could take it to the laundermat if needed.
Happy trails...................
Old 10-26-2005, 07:36 AM   #15
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
we have the sliding tray and love it.
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:05 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Steve, not only does it lift out, it has nice handles on it so you could take it to the laundermat if needed.
Happy trails...................
Good idea, Sue, for those who do laundromats. We just lift ours out and set it two feet away next to the washer/dryer closet! That's about as far as I care to carry laundry.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
I'm with you. We don't do laundermats either. I was surprised by the handles though. Didn't notice them until a few months ago!
Happy trails.....................