Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #21
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Our first trip with the upgrades begins tomorrow as I stated. Very eager to pull the unit.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #22
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
You need to get on a cat scale to know the axle and hitch weight. Very few people really need the 8k axles but they like the thought of being able to carry more weight. I have the 7k independent suspension and my axles have 12,620 pounds on them and the hitch is 3480 pounds. Let the scales make your decision.
You know that increasing axle capacity from 7K to 8K does not change the vehicle certified GAWRs. You'll still be limited to 1400# maximum axle load capacity. Anything above that will in all probability cause GVWR overload.

Adding axles with increased load capacities is like adding tires with more load capacity than the OE tires. You gain load capacity reserves.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #23
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
You know that increasing axle capacity from 7K to 8K does not change the vehicle certified GAWRs. You'll still be limited to 1400# maximum axle load capacity. Anything above that will in all probability cause GVWR overload.

Adding axles with increased load capacities is like adding tires with more load capacity than the OE tires. You gain load capacity reserves.
Key to your tire statement - "RESERVERS" - is that also not true with the axle change? just trying to fully grasp position.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #24
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
Key to your tire statement - "RESERVERS" - is that also not true with the axle change? just trying to fully grasp position.
Sorry for the confusion but I'm pretty sure that's what I said and underlined it.

Reserves are not something you can continuously use. It's like a reserve parachute, if you have to use it, it's there. After use it goes back into the reserve status.

The ultimate limiting factor for your trailer's loading is the GVWR. It's not supposed to be exceeded, numerous other weak links come into play when going beyond it. They also may have some reserve capacity but we don't know what they are unless a manufacturer publishes them. I don't think that's going to happen. The GVWR is as accurate as it's going to get when calculating cargo capacity to stay under it.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #25
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I have no idea why you guys are stuck on the reserve weights! The unit pulls and rides much better with the 8k axles. I've been through this with FR when they put the wrong axles under a rig I special ordered and the axles had to be changed by the dealer. Every one of the units after that came with the higher capacity axles. The axles under the rig have springs made in China with Chinese steel under them. Needless to say they are less that optimum items. I'm still within the weight rating of the camper but unless you have any idea how it tows with the upgrade, it's just conjecture. The upgrade definitely improved how it tows and feels on the road. Most other units this heavy with the upgrades from the factory, have 8k axles under them. This one does not.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #26
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Disc brakes. Best mod period!
Old 05-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #27
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
I have no idea why you guys are stuck on the reserve weights! The unit pulls and rides much better with the 8k axles. I've been through this with FR when they put the wrong axles under a rig I special ordered and the axles had to be changed by the dealer. Every one of the units after that came with the higher capacity axles. The axles under the rig have springs made in China with Chinese steel under them. Needless to say they are less that optimum items. I'm still within the weight rating of the camper but unless you have any idea how it tows with the upgrade, it's just conjecture. The upgrade definitely improved how it tows and feels on the road. Most other units this heavy with the upgrades from the factory, have 8k axles under them. This one does not.
When you upgraded to 8k axles, where the springs also changed? Just trying to broaden my knowledge. Contemplating the axle upgrade - just out of curiosity - what tires are you using?
Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #28
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion but I'm pretty sure that's what I said and underlined it.

Reserves are not something you can continuously use. It's like a reserve parachute, if you have to use it, it's there. After use it goes back into the reserve status.

The ultimate limiting factor for your trailer's loading is the GVWR. It's not supposed to be exceeded, numerous other weak links come into play when going beyond it. They also may have some reserve capacity but we don't know what they are unless a manufacturer publishes them. I don't think that's going to happen. The GVWR is as accurate as it's going to get when calculating cargo capacity to stay under it.
yes, you did - just miss read it before replying … thx
Old 05-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #29
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I just don't understand how thicker axle tubing makes the trailer tow better???
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #30
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
ok - you just cost me nearly $400 - ordered my air compressor and mounting bracket
Old 05-21-2019, 02:36 AM   #31
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
When you upgraded to 8k axles, where the springs also changed? Just trying to broaden my knowledge. Contemplating the axle upgrade - just out of curiosity - what tires are you using?
Yes the springs were changed to 4k spring packs. I have the Gy G614s on the rig as they came with the Legacy Package.

I would like for you guys to look at the spring pack on the 7k axles I took off of the rig. Notice the springs as they go over the axle perch(saddle), in between the two sides of the ubolts. Now, these are out from under the unit with no weight on them. Notice the reverse bending of the pack? In other forums there have been a few packs that have fractured completely into right where the pack bolt is. Rough roads do weird things to these rigs. Also, the springs are made from Chinese steel. Makes me wonder if the steel in the packs are weak to begin with, or meet spec to begin with and weaken over time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190519_141002462-800x800.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	3804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190519_140816945_HDR-800x800.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	3805  
Old 05-21-2019, 02:40 AM   #32
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
I just don't understand how thicker axle tubing makes the trailer tow better???
It's not just the thicker axles, even though they are stronger, it's the 4k spring packs mounted on the axles that makes the difference. The unit does not just "lumber around" behind the truck anymore. It sites up like it has an adequate suspension under it. Many of the other rigs that I looks at prior to purchasing this one including the FR Cardinal came with 8k axles under it with nearly an identical weight.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #33
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Yes the springs were changed to 4k spring packs. I have the Gy G614s on the rig as they came with the Legacy Package.

I would like for you guys to look at the spring pack on the 7k axles I took off of the rig. Notice the springs as they go over the axle perch(saddle), in between the two sides of the ubolts. Now, these are out from under the unit with no weight on them. Notice the reverse bending of the pack? In other forums there have been a few packs that have fractured completely into right where the pack bolt is. Rough roads do weird things to these rigs. Also, the springs are made from Chinese steel. Makes me wonder if the steel in the packs are weak to begin with, or meet spec to begin with and weaken over time.
Are you going to change your wheel/tire assemblies to something like the G114?

The OEM G614s do not meet the 10% reserve load capacity recently mandated by RVIA for new vehicles with 7000# vehicle certified axles. The RVIA recommendation is not a mandatory action and does not apply to models built and certified prior to their recommendation.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:47 AM   #34
BillnJudy

M.O.C. #20978
While you are doing the conversion have the Roadmaster shock kit installed. You won't believe how this install smooths out the ride.
BillnJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #35
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
The upgrade definitely improved how it tows and feels on the road. Most other units this heavy with the upgrades from the factory, have 8k axles under them. This one does not.

The 3790 should have 8k axles from the factory! It shouldn't be an option.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #36
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
The 3790 should have 8k axles from the factory! It shouldn't be an option.

Completely agree with you!
Old 05-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #37
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Are you going to change your wheel/tire assemblies to something like the G114?

The OEM G614s do not meet the 10% reserve load capacity recently mandated by RVIA for new vehicles with 7000# vehicle certified axles. The RVIA recommendation is not a mandatory action and does not apply to models built and certified prior to their recommendation.
The tires will be changed in about a year as I don't want to Rick the budget too badly, but they will be changed out to the Sailun or the GY. Several people have stated that the 17.5" tires really shook the unit pretty bad as they are too stiff. Gonna have to investigate more.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #38
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
Wow

Looks nice! I truly feel blessed that I too have the ability to do most of the things needed to keep our Monty rolling!

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote