Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
12 Volt System Problem -Solved

Our 12 Volt system is not working when the Monty is unplugged from the truck or shore power. The batteries have not bad reading and my Inverter works as it is direct wired to the batteries. I checked all the connections in the front compartment and they are tight and all the wire ends are are tight. Anyone have any idea where else to look for a problem. Today I went through the same things I did yesterday again then I wiggled the wires going back under the coach I then went inside and the lights were on. I then tried the water pump and the fantastic fans which worked. I then got my Daughter to watch the lights and wiggled the wire again and the lights went on and off. The Shortstop 50 Amp breaker was clicking when I wiggled the wires. I changed the 50 Amp breaker and all seems to work well now.

Thanks
Don

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
is there a circuit breaker or fuse inline with the battery?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

Our 12 Volt system is not working when the Monty is unplugged from the truck or shore power. The batteries have not bad reading and my Inverter works as it is direct wired to the batteries. I checked all the connections in the front compartment and they are tight and all the wire ends are are tight. Anyone have any idea where else to look for a problem.
Thanks
Don
I would check the silver resettable breaker on the bulkhead behind the batteries.
2nd is possibly a bad fuse on the converter.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Have you checked the battery disconnect switch in the convenience center?

It can't be the converter as you are disconnected from shore power (the converter uses 120V).

The inverter works (direct wired to batteries) so the batteries are healthy.

Is there a resettable circuit breaker near the battery (not the one for the landing legs) and is it passing 12V?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Am I misunderstanding something here? I think Hookman's problem was fixed by replacing a 50 amp breaker. I do like H. John's other ideas on other things to check.

What I'm not quite following is where is this 50 amp breaker and what is it for? I've never heard of a "hortstop 50 amp breaker" and wouldn't know where to look for it. I would probably figure it out if I was having a problem and I am pretty good at debugging stuff and finding possibilities but reading this story right off the bat, I don't know what's being referred to.

Hookman! Good job on figuring this out and fixing it!!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Al,

The term should have been "Short Stop Circuit Breaker". It is the circuit breaker on the back wall, typically covered by a red rubber or plastic cover.

You can find them on E-Bay at this link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50A-Bussmann...item3cc67ef964
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote