Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Slide closing issues, 80amp breaker

Feel completely stupid because I discovered that the fix on my slide problems didn't really come from the battery cut off switch like I thought but rather because when I tried to retract the slide it was 15 degrees and when I flipped the switch and everything worked fine it was 49 degrees. The warm weather in Kansas this winter is throwing everyone off. Anyway I called Keystone, since it's still under warranty and explained the problem to the customer service guy. I suggested it needed the two 50amp breakers mentioned on this forum. His comment was "that's so old school". He had me take the rig to Camping World. They determined that all the slides were in alignment and then Keystone authorized the installation of an 80amp breaker in place of the 50amp factory model. Keystone said the wiring is made to handle it and that's the new fix.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks Dick mine has been getting worse this pass summer. I never had any problems untill then. I went to napa today and they have a 40amp but thats as big as they have. I am looking at how to install 2 but can't remember so have been looking on here. The 1 80amp would be easyer I will see if I can get one.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had it done at Camping World in Albuquerque and I know it took them most of the day to get it, but I didn't ask where they found it.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Bobby< all you have to do is to put another 40a in. Just put it beside the present one and connect it to the connectors of the existing breaker. Works like a champ. Took about 30 mins. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Bobby,

This is one place to get one.

http://www.pcsconnectors.com/181080p.aspx
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Make sure the dual 40 amp (or 50 amp) breakers are installed in parallel not series.

Here is a picture....

The CBs in question are the two in the leftmost part of the picture. The rightmost one is for the landing gear and you don't need to touch that one.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Two 40 amp breakers in parallel are similar to one 80 amp breaker. Notice I stated similar ..... not exactly the same. If a total surge of over 80 amps occurs it is highly probable that the 80 amp breaker will pop. However, with two 40 amp breakers in parallel both should exceed their 40 amp rating at the same time but in reality one will pop before the other. By that time the load surge may have dissipated and not pop the second breaker and the slides will continue to work as long a sudden surge doesn't occur over 40 AMP. Remember, that previously, most of the time, a 40 Amp breaker was sufficient. My concern about adding an 80 amp breaker or two 40's in parallel is related to the gauge of the wiring. I don't know what size wire has been used.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
According to Keystone, at least on my age rig and newer the wire is capable of handling 80amps.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Desert RVer... Thanks for the explanation on the differences between the single and dual breakers. It sure makes sense.

This issue was addressed by Lippert and the fixes came from them to either get a bigger fuse or use two fuses in parallel. They admitted the fuses in many rigs especially with multiple slideouts had undersized autoresetting breakers.

Since doing this to my rig, they have been working GREAT! I still check the fluids, the battery and check alignment. No more stop/starting.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Here's ours with twin 40's:

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Might as well show my twin 40's again also. Instead of wire, I used short buss bars from home depot and covered them with shrink tubing.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #12
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Here is how I did it with my old SOB.

[/URL][/img]

I went to a battery store and they gave me the bars to connect the 2 breakers together.

The bottom 3 are the original ones, the top is the added 40AMP.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #13
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Feel completely stupid because I discovered that the fix on my slide problems didn't really come from the battery cut off switch like I thought but rather because when I tried to retract the slide it was 15 degrees and when I flipped the switch and everything worked fine it was 49 degrees. The warm weather in Kansas this winter is throwing everyone off. Anyway I called Keystone, since it's still under warranty and explained the problem to the customer service guy. I suggested it needed the two 50amp breakers mentioned on this forum. His comment was "that's so old school". He had me take the rig to Camping World. They determined that all the slides were in alignment and then Keystone authorized the installation of an 80amp breaker in place of the 50amp factory model. Keystone said the wiring is made to handle it and that's the new fix.
I'm not quite sure what this fix does as I am electronically challenged, but am I to understand this is taken care of by 2012 models and not something I need to worry about? I have five slides so I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

I'm not quite sure what this fix does as I am electronically challenged, but am I to understand this is taken care of by 2012 models and not something I need to worry about? I have five slides so I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks.
I'm really not sure. I was kind of put off by the "that's so old school remark" and wanted to get mine fixed right so I didn't ask. Be sure and ask the dealer when it is delivered.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks guys I know now how to fix it could not remember how the hookup went but pics are always great!!!
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #16
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Desert RVer... Thanks for the explanation on the differences between the single and dual breakers. It sure makes sense.

This issue was addressed by Lippert and the fixes came from them to either get a bigger fuse or use two fuses in parallel. They admitted the fuses in many rigs especially with multiple slideouts had undersized autoresetting breakers.

Since doing this to my rig, they have been working GREAT! I still check the fluids, the battery and check alignment. No more stop/starting.
That may be 100% true but ...... I am not convinced. If the fuse is designed for 40 Amps why in the world would they design in 80 Amp wiring? Wiring should be designed to handle slightly more than the fuse but typically not twice as much. Until I find out the gauge of the wiring used, I suspect and predict that the wiring used with the 40 Amp fuse is not rated for 79 AMP plus continuous. That would be the requirement if it was designed for an 80 amp fuse. My guess is they are relying on the fact that the 80 amp current is a surge or momentary not continuous. And if some strange failure occurred where 79 Amps was drawn continuously w/o blowing the 80 Amp fuse that the wiring and asociated connections would become dangerously over heated. I do expect that the untis being designed with the 80 amp fuse will have the appropriate size wire. I sincerely doubt those that are being retrofitted with the 80 amp fuse have adequate (safe design practices) wiring. Knowing the actual wire size on all those units with 40 Amp fuses being converted to 80 AMP would answer this question. I just haven't seen the design discipline in the RV industry to properly handle this.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #17
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I did the twin 40s and it worked and has been working with no problems.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #18
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I put twin 40's on mine per Lipperts fix back in 06 and haven't had a failure since even in the freezing temps of Indiana.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:55 AM   #19
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Just looked at the wiring for the hydraulic pump that operates the slides in our Montana. It is a #4 wire. The wire charts call out a 70amp capacity.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #20
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I'm not familiar with these type of breakers. How do you tell a 40 amp from an 80 amp - is it just printed on them? Are they different in size?

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote