Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
HD RECEIVER & ANT HOOK-UP

I don't know if anyone has tried this or not. I installed a DTV HD receiver today in my Big Sky. Dish connected outside, short U coax at entertainment center removed, coax from top connector to sat rcvr dish connection. HDMI cable from sat rcvr to TV. Everything works great. Now, how to get ANT to connect to TV? Back to the sat rcvr; connected a coax from the bottom connection (where U coax was) to the external OFF AIR ANT connection of the sat rcvr. TURNED ANT BOOSTER ON, ANTENNA UP. Ran SETUP on sat rcvr,(dish & ant mode). While running the setup on the sat rcvr, it will scan for local off air channels (the new digital channels). It will place them in the menu channel list. During the setup, it also asks for your zip code. When you look at the channel guide (they are shaded in gray), it shows the channels and also shows the programming and times of what is on. PRETTY NEET!! Kerry DIRECTV HD-20 receiver

kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #2
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
What brand of receiver did you purchase? I have one but not with all the features you are talking about.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
The receiver I have is a DIRECTV HD-20
Old 08-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Kerry, I'm missing something here...so you have 2 Dish coax cables coming to the HD-20? You added one?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
This is one of those things that would be easier to show than put into words. I have one dish, the new 5 LNB dish. One coax from the dish to the outside hook-up. Only have one HD rvcr in the Big Sky. The HD rcvr only has one coax coming from the dish. To get real HD to the TV, you have to use a HDMI cable from the rcvr to the TV, The HD rcve dose not have a 75 ohm connect out to the TV, just a 75 ohm in from the dish, and a 75 ohm in from an off air antenna. With the U shaped coax removed inside, the top equals the dish in to the rcvr, and the bottom equal off air antenna in. Is this getting any clearer? With my old non HD rcvr, it was top connector to rcvr for the dish, and a coax from the rcvr to bottom connector back into the wiring in the camper, and to the TV via coax. Also had to have the power booster off so it didn't block the signal.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:11 AM   #6
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Kerry,

This is the same setup I currently use. I added an fm modulator from radio shack connected to the H-20 to send signal back to the amp for viewing in the bedroom and basement. I also use the RC-64R remote set to RF mode which allows me to change the channels from any location inside or outside the rig. I believe that this is the best set-up for the factory cabling installed in our Montana’s. Some Dish Network receivers are Bi-Directional and allow for adding multiple receivers using the factory installed cable which is a distinct advantage. The only other option for DTV is to add more cable drops to the dish for each receiver. I prefer DTV's programming and have always had excellent service with them.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote